Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:18 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Tim Rankin

"Hold on, Texan!!!

According to the latest fitness rankings, Houston is #6 in the Top 25 Fattest Cities list."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post

Didn't I just say on page one that Men's Fitness doesn't use substantial criteria? In other words, their "Fattest Cities" are indeed not the true fattest cities in America. None of their study includes measuring the average weight of people in the city.

O.k. mpope, here's from another source, Forbes.com:

"Houstonians have long been at the center of a debate over obesity and unhealthy habits. The area's childhood obesity rates had reached such epidemic levels by 2004 that the Texas Children's Hospital in Houston began offering bariatric--or stomach stapling--surgeries for obese teens between 13 and 18. The fact that 59% of residents are obese or overweight may have to do with a lack of physical activity; 31% skip regular exercise, and weekly TV watching equals about 31 hours."
In Pictures: Most Sedentary Cities - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin

"Hold on, Texan!!!

According to the latest fitness rankings, Houston is #6 in the Top 25 Fattest Cities list."

"Houstonians have long been at the center of a debate over obesity and unhealthy habits. The area's childhood obesity rates had reached such epidemic levels by 2004 that the Texas Children's Hospital in Houston began offering bariatric--or stomach stapling--surgeries for obese teens between 13 and 18. The fact that 59% of residents are obese or overweight may have to do with a lack of physical activity; 31% skip regular exercise, and weekly TV watching equals about 31 hours."
59%?!?! I don't believe it.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
I'm sure some of the findings are accuarate, but it is also a lot of media hype. Some cities might have higher cases of diabetes, which in many cases is hereditary. Nonetheless, a higher percentage of these kinda disesaes is somewhat of an indicator of a cities overall health. However, I don't think the formula used is 100 percent accurate on determining a cities overall health. One publication ranks Louisville as the 5th fattest. Another publication ranks it as one of the fittest. These publications are mostly for entertainent and to sell magazines.

The article describes San Antonio as a city where people eat a lot of Tex Mex and are mostly hispanic. The city is half hispanic, true, but it is a generalization, that we eat Tex-Mex most of the time. I don't eat Tex-Mex all the time. The last time I ate tex mex food was several weeks ago. It wasn't really all that high calorie either. No more than any other type of food. When they wrote up this artice, they had to write something that sounds convincing. Throw in the Tex-Mex food, about San Antonio, people will believe the articles.

I searched the web for San Antonio crowd and San Antonio people. These are the first pics I found. I really don't see all that heavy set San Antonio people running around. These type of articles help generalize a city as fat. I just dont see it.

by spatricks flickr

photo by ben aqua

photo City of San Antonio

tpseary17 @ flickr

Justin parr @ flcikr

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 01-05-2008 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-05-2008, 12:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I never said southerners laze around. I said I highly doubt they are as fit as New Yorkers.
Well then Houstonians must not be southerners.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Houston (though a little competition with it in this thread)
I'm not trying to compete. Sorry if it seems that way, it's just important to me that the facts are laid on the table.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post

I've been aware of that list. I saw it weeks ago, but their information must be wrong because it completely contradicts these stats:
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 25 Skinniest

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Houston, TX snapshot

As of 2007, the City of Houston had an average BMI of 27 which is the national average. The year before that, Houston's average BMI was 24.8

Mind you, Money magazine got this info directly from Harris County. It's in the footnotes. So Forbes and Men's Fitness can stick their misleading "statistics" up their you-know-what.

I live in Houston, and I would be able to tell if 59% of the city was obese or overweight. I'm telling you that's not the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.