Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Third City?
Anchorage 7 8.33%
Boise 28 33.33%
Spokane 28 33.33%
Tacoma 14 16.67%
Other 7 8.33%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:14 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times

Advertisements

I voted for Boise, even though some don't consider Idaho to be PNW. As for Vancouver BC, no, it's in Canada, so it shouldn't count for this poll. However, I do feel that It is a part of the PNW greater region, Cascadia when borders are taken out of the equation, just as Chicago, Buffalo and Toronto are all part of the Great Lakes Region, while still belonging to their own separate local regions, Midwest, Northeast and Southern Ontario. When Vancouver is included, I feel that it should share top spot with Seattle, as both cities are deserving of being number one for different reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 09:27 AM

354 posts, read 682,000 times
If Vancouver, BC is counted, then it would be Seattle, Vancouver and Portland for the first three right? Then perhaps the fourth would be Victoria BC or Anchorage? Tacoma has really close ties with Seattle right (they share an airport for example)? Similar situation to that with Vancouver, WA and Portland?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 PM

115 posts, read 319,389 times
My vote would be for Anchorage. This assuming Vancouver isn't an option, otherwise it would definitely be my #3 all the way.

My reasoning is simply from the many times I would tell others I was visiting family in Spokane or Boise; and I would immediately get asked where each place was. Especially Spokane. A lot of people in the Southeast US haven't seemed to have heard of Spokane (although probably my favorite city on the list). Nobody I've ever met has asked where Anchorage or Tacoma are. They are much more recognizable. Tacoma, like others, I would feel is disqualified simply because its so close and influenced by Seattle. So I vote Anchorage.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:46 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagurl333 View Post
My vote would be for Anchorage. This assuming Vancouver isn't an option, otherwise it would definitely be my #3 all the way.

My reasoning is simply from the many times I would tell others I was visiting family in Spokane or Boise; and I would immediately get asked where each place was. Especially Spokane. A lot of people in the Southeast US haven't seemed to have heard of Spokane (although probably my favorite city on the list). Nobody I've ever met has asked where Anchorage or Tacoma are. They are much more recognizable. Tacoma, like others, I would feel is disqualified simply because its so close and influenced by Seattle. So I vote Anchorage.
That sounds like a case a bad education imo. Boise is a state capitol city, everyone who grew up in the USA and received a good education should know their state capitols and where they are located.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 PM

18 posts, read 27,891 times
Vancouver

Old 01-03-2015, 05:48 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
If only going with the American Pacific Northwest, then definitely Spokane and Boise. Tacoma is a city in it's own right, but more linked to Seattle in one metro, similar to Dallas/Forth Worth and Minneapolis/St. Paul. Anchorage I don't consider Pacific Northwest, too far off really.

If the region in it's entirety, then Vancouver comes in first place, more global than Seattle on the international stage.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
If only going with the American Pacific Northwest, then definitely Spokane and Boise. Tacoma is a city in it's own right, but more linked to Seattle in one metro, similar to Dallas/Forth Worth and Minneapolis/St. Paul. Anchorage I don't consider Pacific Northwest, too far off really.

If the region in it's entirety, then Vancouver comes in first place, more global than Seattle on the international stage.
By that logic, would you rank Las Vegas above Phoenix in a list of cities in the Desert SW? Vancouver may lead the pack in international nonstop flights and foreign investment in residential high rises, but Seattle has a much larger GDP and over a million more people in its metro area. Realistically, Vancouver is more on the same level as Portland.

Regarding your assessment of the third city, though, I agree- it should be Spokane or Boise, if Idaho is allowed. After all, consensus is that Boise has dual citizenship in both Interior Mountain West and Pacific NW regions.

Spokane and Boise are almost the exact same size, but Boise should move ahead soon due to recent growth. The future looks bright for Boise but Spokane is stuck in a funk.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
The problem with Vancouver is that it's located in the Southwest... of Canada. To call Vancouver "Pacific Northwest" is just confusing unless we were to combine countries. The prairie provinces don't call themselves the "Midwest" because that's an American term, just like "Pacific Northwest" is.
If this poll could include a non-American city, I would defintly say that Vancouver BC is the 2nd City. If it was only including the American cities than I would place Boise as third most important.

Vancouver BC is part of the Pacific Northwest. It is not akin to saying the prairie provicnes are midwestern, because there is no real regional identity among the prairie provinces and the upper midwest. Really what major city in the provinces of Canada have any connection to Minneapolis?

Technically speaking the PNW extends from Southern Oregon at its southern most extent, all the way up into SE Alaska. The Eastern border would extend into Western Montana.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
Technically speaking the PNW extends from Southern Oregon at its southern most extent, all the way up into SE Alaska. The Eastern border would extend into Western Montana.
The Pacific Northwest is a cultural term, defined differently by different people. I've heard it defined as narrowly as the wet side of the Cascades in Washington and Oregon and as broadly as the Cascadian bioregion - including British Columbia, Idaho, and parts of northern/coastal California, northwestern Montana, and the Alaskan panhandle. There's no one set definition for determining if a city is or isn't in the PNW. Asking local residents is probably the only way to get an answer to a cultural question like that.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
There's no one set definition for determining if a city is or isn't in the PNW. Asking local residents is probably the only way to get an answer to a cultural question like that.
And even then, people will still make up their own b.s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.