Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 936 times

Advertisements

24 single and born and raised in the Kenai Peninsula area, Alaska. Now that my mom has moved back down to the lower 48 it's difficult for me to see her often (I am a firearms owner so I can't drive through Canada and flights are very expensive). I need to be down on the lower 48 so I can drive to her a couple times a year, I don't mind the length of the drive but now I physically can't do it without crossing through another country.

I love cold weather and cannot function in the heat I like being near water and mostly I need remoteness. I can't be in a dense area and don't want more than 30,000 people within a hundred miles of me. The dream of mine would be a similar set up to what I have now which is a house in the sticks driving distance to a town (5-10 thousand people) where I can work in construction or something. Somewhere with an entrenched local culture is ideal. I am Christian if that matters. Also it is preferable that the state has a very hands off governemnt in regards to gun laws (I own over 30 guns) and zoning laws (I don't like being told what to do in my property) I plant to buy a small plot. I am open to other suggestions as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 03:18 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,585 times
Maine > Michigan for gun laws. Michigan requires you to register your handguns. Eh. Though almost no one does, it can become a pain to buy new ones.

Maine is very sparsely populated, and has the ocean. It's also cold. But it has her act together somewhat better than Michigan. But you really should pick the one closest to your mom, and how do you plan to transfer your guns? If it's through legal means, you might need to look into the price, regulations that would follow with each state.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:28 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
I'd go with the Keweenaw Peninsula myself, but that's just a personal preference. I don't think they care too much about zoning, and people do love their guns up there, so I'd not worry too much about that. Land is cheap, and I think it's easy to find construction work in summer. Lots of water around there too - the fishing is out of this world up there. Tons of game hunting as well, if you're into that sort of thing. And the snow won't be a problem, since you're coming from such a snowy area anyhow.

I'd suggest visiting both places before making up your mind.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'd go with the Keweenaw Peninsula myself, but that's just a personal preference. I don't think they care too much about zoning, and people do love their guns up there, so I'd not worry too much about that. Land is cheap, and I think it's easy to find construction work in summer. Lots of water around there too - the fishing is out of this world up there. Tons of game hunting as well, if you're into that sort of thing. And the snow won't be a problem, since you're coming from such a snowy area anyhow.

I'd suggest visiting both places before making up your mind.
Was gonna say the same thing - the only problem is finding a job there. It's pretty desperate. The UP is actually more sparsely populated than Maine. You could also go over by L'Anse or whatever and place yourself in the Huron Mountains if you really like being in the middle of nowhere (but close enough to the UP's biggest city of Marquette).

In the area, beyond Lake Superior/Lake Michigan/Lake Huron, there are literally tens of thousands of inland lakes from the UP down into Wisconsin and over into Minnesota, not to mention all the rivers and streams.

Maine seems awsome, though, I really want to explore more than a couple coastal cities. Some day I'll get back up there.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM

447 posts, read 495,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Maine > Michigan for gun laws. Michigan requires you to register your handguns. Eh. Though almost no one does, it can become a pain to buy new ones.

Maine is very sparsely populated, and has the ocean. It's also cold. But it has her act together somewhat better than Michigan. But you really should pick the one closest to your mom, and how do you plan to transfer your guns? If it's through legal means, you might need to look into the price, regulations that would follow with each state.
I do not see how not having to register your hand guns is better, unless of course you are a criminal.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronD88744 View Post
24 single and born and raised in the Kenai Peninsula area, Alaska. Now that my mom has moved back down to the lower 48 it's difficult for me to see her often (I am a firearms owner so I can't drive through Canada and flights are very expensive). I need to be down on the lower 48 so I can drive to her a couple times a year, I don't mind the length of the drive but now I physically can't do it without crossing through another country.

I love cold weather and cannot function in the heat I like being near water and mostly I need remoteness. I can't be in a dense area and don't want more than 30,000 people within a hundred miles of me. The dream of mine would be a similar set up to what I have now which is a house in the sticks driving distance to a town (5-10 thousand people) where I can work in construction or something. Somewhere with an entrenched local culture is ideal. I am Christian if that matters. Also it is preferable that the state has a very hands off governemnt in regards to gun laws (I own over 30 guns) and zoning laws (I don't like being told what to do in my property) I plant to buy a small plot. I am open to other suggestions as well.

Have you considered northern Minnesota? Outside of Duluth, it's a very sparsely populated area, and is just as cold - if not colder - than Maine or the UP of Michigan. Plenty of water (loads and loads of glacial lakes, and Lake Superior borders the northeast corner). Not sure about the gun laws but since there are tons of hunters in MN (both within and outside state borders) I would assume it's fairly gun-friendly.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Have you considered northern Minnesota? Outside of Duluth, it's a very sparsely populated area, and is just as cold - if not colder - than Maine or the UP of Michigan. Plenty of water (loads and loads of glacial lakes, and Lake Superior borders the northeast corner). Not sure about the gun laws but since there are tons of hunters in MN (both within and outside state borders) I would assume it's fairly gun-friendly.
Yep, that area or northern 1/3 of Wisconsin would work as well. Due to mostly being surrounded by water, UP is a bit more isolated than northern MN/WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.