Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 6,466 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Macomb, MI. I was born and raised in this cold state....I have wanted to move since I have been old enough, but something has always came up (college, marriage, kids, ect...). I'm married and have three children (24, 11, 10). My oldest has her graduate degree, is engaged, lives on her own and has a career (She's all grown up). I have a 4th and 5th grader, so schools are IMPORTANT. My husband is construction foreman (road/site work) and I'm a labor/delivery RN (I've been a nurse for 18 years). I can work anywhere, but I don't want to move where my income will substantially decrease either. I have been attempting to find the maximum hourly RN wage in Columbia, but haven't had much luck on payscale.com or glassdoor.com.

As for the South, I have traveled to areas of GA, TN, NC, SC, VA, WV, plus I usually vacation in FL every year.

The cons to VA and WV is the weather mostly! It's just not far enough south. As for GA, I love Savannah area and the history, although I didn't think they were overly friendly there. I don't really want to live in the Atlanta suburbs. I found Hilton Head and Charleston (especially) very friendly. TN is okay, but it doesn't have an ocean and it just didn't do much for me.

I love palm trees, warm weather, friendly people, southern accents and southern cooking (When its cooked for me..lol). I realize it gets a little chilly in the winter and summers are hot/humid but I think I can handle it. I'm from the north, so I will want my own pool!!! That's the only thing I never understood about the south is the lack of back yard pools, except for FL. But I've been told that is a upnorth thing "Yankee" thing! lol Also, I won't get offended if I'm called a "Yankee", I'm not easily offended and I think it's kind of funny. My personality is humorous, friendly, personable, social and I like people. I'm a good parent and that is very important quality that fellow friends must have in common. I go to church (non-denominational/Christian, but were inconsistent because of my work schedule). I love taking of expectant mommies and their families, because it's the best job ever

Were planning on coming to visit the Columbia, SC area in a few weeks to check out the area. I have done a lot of research on Chapin, Lexington, Irmo, and Blythewood areas. It's only 11 hours drive to come visit friends/family back in MI. Though, any additional info you can give me will greatly be appreciated.

The other area we were considering is Texas, the DFW area, but most likely McKinney. Not crazy about the likeliness of tornadoes, lack of tornado shelter (basements), summer heat, high property taxes, and the houses are quite pricey in my preferred area. Not sure about crime and sex offenders comparison to Columbia, SC area. We are currently doing research on our wages in DFW too, I'm sure they have construction year round. It is a 16-17 hour drive back to MI. I don't know how I will be effected by Hispanic population being so heavily condensed in Texas. I'm not prejudice (my oldest child is 50% Hispanic, but I'm also not used to being part of minority population either. If I chose TX, the reason would be because it's economically the better choice.

Not sure about my budget but I'm thinking 200,000-300,000 but I don't want to spend our max budget and BE house POOR... I was wondering if there is construction (road) work all year long, because my hope is that my husband won't be off work "laid off" r/t weather.

I just want some advice on Columbia, SC or DFW (McKinney, Texas). I know they are very different. I haven't been to Texas since I was 5 yrs. old. My fear is I will move to either place and I will hate it; but I will have sold the home that we built in MI and have grown to love. I really think I will love it and it's the fear of unknown....IDK, please help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
You'd probably be better off asking about each city/metro in their respective subforums.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 AM

207 posts, read 345,536 times
Austin, tx.

Cedar park/leander Area.. One of the fastest growing metros in the country and has/will continue you to be for years and yeArs. Cedar park has a hospital. The cost of living is great-especially leander. Yes, it gets from April til September but we love it and have handled it easily being from Chicago. This week it's been in the 70's!! Don't miss those 4-6 month long Chicago winters!! The leander isd is one of the best in the area- so schools are great. Austin is primarily a white and Hispanic city however it is majority white. Plenty of younger crowds too due to UT being in town.

If you have any other questions I can hopefully be of some help!

Good luck on whatever you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.