Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:17 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times

Advertisements

What's the first thing that pops in your head when you think about these cities? What's your opinion on them? I'm working on a project and I want your help. Thanks.

Buffalo, New York

Hartford, Connecticut

Des Moines, Iowa

Little Rock, Arkansas

Stamford, Connecticut

Columbia, South Carolina

Albany, New York

Springfield, Massachusetts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 05:30 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Buffalo - Somewhere like Detroit that's more like Pittsburgh, positively speaking.

Hartford - Connecticut. Expensive? Close to NYC.

Des Moines - Small and family friendly.

Little Rock - Does it have a little rock?

Stamford - See Hartford.

Columbia - College.

Albany - an AMAZING city that I really love.

Springfield - It's not Boston.

Can't say I'm familiar with most of those places.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM

338 posts, read 556,214 times
Buffalo, New York - I don't care if I landed a $4 million dollar per year job in this city...no way would I live here.

Hartford, Connecticut - It's not that bad but not somewhere I'd choose to live long term.

Des Moines, Iowa - Lame.

Little Rock, Arkansas - Isn't Ne-Yo from here?

Stamford, Connecticut - Nice area.

Columbia, South Carolina - Guy I can't stand is from here.

Albany, New York - Might as well commit suicide.

Springfield, Massachusetts - Close to where I grew up. Do not EVER move here.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Buffalo, New York - Post-Industry / Buffalo Bills

Hartford, Connecticut - Ghetto mixed in with gorgeous architecture

Des Moines, Iowa - Rednecks

Little Rock, Arkansas - Bill Clinton

Stamford, Connecticut - Greyhound/Amtrak stop between Boston and NYC

Columbia, South Carolina - Gamecocks

Albany, New York - Nothing

Springfield, Massachusetts - Nothing

Old 02-02-2015, 06:43 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Buffalo, New York - I don't care if I landed a $4 million dollar per year job in this city...no way would I live here.
I don't think you're that familiar with the area. I've lived there, the west coast, NYC, Boston, Maine, etc. Buffalo has a lot of problems but for its size it offers a great quality of life for little money. The food with all the pizza, wings, German and Polish food is awesome. The sports fans are some of the most loyal in all of sports especially when you consider they've never won a championship. The Sabres and Bills sell tickets like a major market and their fans are among the loudest if not the loudest I've seen in sports. Buffalo is probably the biggest drinking city I've ever been to. Bars in almost every single home. 4am last call that not even cities like LA, SF, Boston, DC or Chicago have.

The east side is ghetto but the north side is a beautiful area and the architecture is up there as some of the best in the country. The north side has both UB and Buff State and there are all kinds of festivals in the summer, from garden walks to an Italian festival, Taste of Buffalo (this one is downtown though), arts festival and farmer's market and all these festivals are extremely busy and shut down avenues. There are concerts downtown every Thursday and the Bisons put on some damn good firework shows right at their ballpark in the heart of downtown every Friday night after the game. The Erie County Fair is also the third largest county fair in the entire country.

Then you have skiing, tubing and snowboarding in Colden all the way down to Elicottville, snowmobiling everywhere obviously, a Great Lake right on the edge of downtown Buffalo and Niagara Falls 30 minutes away. A 1,200 acre former Six Flags amusement park 40 minutes away. Plus Canada is perfectly close and visible from downtown Buffalo and Toronto is an hour and a half to 2 hour drive away.

Jim Kelly a Pittsburgh native also still calls Buffalo home after playing there his entire career so looks to be good enough for a millionaire 5 time Pro Bowler and 4 time AFC Champion.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 02-02-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 07:18 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Buffalo- Kind of a Midwestern city that happens to be in New York. Lots of snow. A football team with terrible luck regarding the Super Bowl.

Hartford- Hear it's kind of a rough city, not too familiar with Hartford. However, New England in general comes to mind.

Des Moines- Apparently a pretty progressive city, but that's it.

Little Rock- Little Rock Nine.

Stamford- No idea.

Columbia- Fall Line capital city, destroyed by Sherman during the Civil War. Capital Building and Confederate flag controversy. University of South Carolina.

Albany- Capital of New York, along the Hudson River.

Springfield- Western Massachusetts, opposite side from Boston. That's about it, though.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Buffalo, New York - snow, great lakes, buffalo wings.

Hartford, Connecticut - insurance

Des Moines, Iowa - birth place of my parents, nice city

Little Rock, Arkansas - beer, steak and tamales at Doe's (I think that's the name of the place)

Stamford, Connecticut - got nothing here.

Columbia, South Carolina - not much here.

Albany, New York - state capital

Springfield, Massachusetts - NBA hall of fame, neat big old houses, MassMutual insurance, it had seen better days 20 years ago when I was last there.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishwhat View Post

columbia, south carolina - guy i can't stand is from here.
haha!

Old 02-02-2015, 07:25 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExplorer View Post
What's the first thing that pops in your head when you think about these cities? What's your opinion on them? I'm working on a project and I want your help. Thanks.

Buffalo, New York

Hartford, Connecticut

Des Moines, Iowa

Little Rock, Arkansas

Stamford, Connecticut

Columbia, South Carolina

Albany, New York

Springfield, Massachusetts
Buffalo, New York= Chicken wings...

Hartford, Connecticut= Insurance companies...

Des Moines, Iowa= Corn and the Cubs AAA team...

Little Rock, Arkansas= Bill Clinton?

Stamford, Connecticut= Nothing

Columbia, South Carolina= Hootie and the Blowfish?

Albany, New York= NY state capital...

Springfield, Massachusetts= The Simpsons? (edit: Wrong Springfield...I have nothing.)
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...583379/?no-ist

Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
Buffalo, New York--Art deco

Hartford, Connecticut--Insurance

Des Moines, Iowa--Corn dogs

Little Rock, Arkansas--Bill Clinton

Stamford, Connecticut--Stanford and Sons

Columbia, South Carolina--Shakira

Albany, New York--Row houses

Springfield, Massachusetts--The Simpsons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.