Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no connection there. African nations, and the African people in general, are the most gay-intolerant in the world. You should not assume that blacks (Amricans or Africans) are necessarily going to embrace every issue that white Americans define as liberal.

I think you might be surprised if you were to ask an African American to outline what he would consider to be a liberal agenda.
How do you come to this conclusion, particularly considering the Middle Eastern/Arab nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_88 View Post
I know in other regions blacks almost exclusively live in or near urban areas and of course most people on a site like this will know, but do you think the general population of people around the country realize the rural deep south has a very high black population? Or do they think it's 95% white and filled with stereotypical "racist rednecks"

I'm just wondering because every now and then I'll run into people who say things like "Mississippi? What!!?? Black People stay there? I thought it was just a bunch of rednecks and the kkk" without even realizing it has the highest percentage of black people. Are people really that clueless?
I'd like to think it's fairly common knowledge that the Mississippi Delta is simultaneously one of the most rural and home to one of the highest concentrations of African Americans in the nation.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
What a ridiculous post.
Why? Define what and why it is ridiculous.

Why can't black people in the south be socially conservative? They are entitled to their own political beliefs as much as anyone else.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
I didn't until I moved to the south. So I guess no.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_88 View Post
I know in other regions blacks almost exclusively live in or near urban areas and of course most people on a site like this will know, but do you think the general population of people around the country realize the rural deep south has a very high black population? Or do they think it's 95% white and filled with stereotypical "racist rednecks"

I'm just wondering because every now and then I'll run into people who say things like "Mississippi? What!!?? Black People stay there? I thought it was just a bunch of rednecks and the kkk" without even realizing it has the highest percentage of black people. Are people really that clueless?
Well, the South is associated with slavery and racism which most White Americans casually forget even happened. Slavery ended only ended 155 years ago which for 90-something percent of African Americans currently living in America would only be 3 or 4 generations ago. Most Southern states, like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, etc. had at least 400,000 enslaved blacks in each state. For some of the states then, that was more than 45% of the total state populations.

The reason most blacks in the northern half of the country are in urban areas is because many went to find jobs and try to make better lives for themselves. Of course, just because slavery ended didn't mean racism ended and in many urban areas, blacks were often denied equal opportunities which still effects the country to this day.

Of course, this isn't good to mention because it creates 'white guilt' and for whatever reason makes white people want to correct past mistakes and provide blacks opportunities to move up in status and that's just something not healthy for the country as a whole, ya know? I don't think people are clueless about the deep South by accident.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
People, generally, do not know this. Why else would the word 'Urban' have become a PC synonym for 'Black'?

Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Well, the South is associated with slavery and racism which most White Americans casually forget even happened. Slavery ended only ended 155 years ago which for 90-something percent of African Americans currently living in America would only be 3 or 4 generations ago. Most Southern states, like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, etc. had at least 400,000 enslaved blacks in each state. For some of the states then, that was more than 45% of the total state populations.

The reason most blacks in the northern half of the country are in urban areas is because many went to find jobs and try to make better lives for themselves. Of course, just because slavery ended didn't mean racism ended and in many urban areas, blacks were often denied equal opportunities which still effects the country to this day.

Of course, this isn't good to mention because it creates 'white guilt' and for whatever reason makes white people want to correct past mistakes and provide blacks opportunities to move up in status and that's just something not healthy for the country as a whole, ya know? I don't think people are clueless about the deep South by accident.
Considering that generations are more or less 25 years(likely even less for African Americans), this is a very incorrect statement.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
People, generally, do not know this. Why else would the word 'Urban' have become a PC synonym for 'Black'?
That is based off of the percentage of Black people that live in such areas. However, keep in mind that according to the US Census, a community of around 2500 and up is considered to be "urban".

Old 02-27-2015, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Yeah, most black americans live in the south and always have, just like most other black americans live in urban areas stretched across this nation. That's a fact. We helped build this country, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is no connection there. African nations, and the African people in general, are the most gay-intolerant in the world.
So! Don't expect that to change either. Somebody has to be normal in this wicked world, so it might as well be us.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:54 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Yeah, most black americans live in the south and always have, just like most other black americans live in urban areas stretched across this nation. That's a fact. We helped build this country, you know.

So! Don't expect that to change either. Somebody has to be normal in this wicked world, so it might as well be us.
Wouldn't normal depend on your perspective? Everyone by definition would have a different sense of normal.

That statement seems a bit arbitrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.