Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 PM

128 posts, read 222,911 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which cities would you say are pretentious and which cities would you say are unpretentious? For example, you might say that Seattle, Washington is a pretentious city and you might say that Buffalo, New York is a unprentious city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 01:25 PM

638 posts, read 977,732 times
Pretentious = Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle (West coast Cities)

Unpretentious = Cleveland, Detroit, St Louis, Chicago (Midwestern Cities)

Old 03-18-2015, 01:32 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Pretentious = Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle (West coast Cities)

That's a good answer in my opinion. Cities with a higher percentage of office jobs rather than those built on manufacturing tend to be more pretentious. Also, the more of a liberal slant a city has, the more pretentious the reputation seems to be. Makes me think of the "Smug Alert" Southpark episode.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:07 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,516,620 times
From my understanding, pretentious refers to someone or something that thinks it is more important than it is. This is a vague term, and there are multiple types of pretentious places.

One, is class-envy pretentiousness. These are usually areas full of upper-middle class suburbanites who wish they were rich. They have well-paying jobs, a strong sense of entitlement, and a lot of credit card debt. They drive big vehicles, think their snot-nosed children can do no wrong, and throw fits in restaurants when they don't get the table they want. Politically they want lower taxes and less government, as long as their schools and roads don't see cuts. Irvine, CA; Scottsdale, AZ; Plano, TX; Reston, VA; Barrington, IL; and Eden Prairie, MN come to mind.

Then there's wanna-be-cool pretentiousness. These areas were the hip parts of major cities about ten or twenty years ago, but they're now populated by yuppies who think that living in an area that used to be cool would make them cool and hip. Prices are high and local business tend to come and go quickly. Politically, the people who live in these areas vote Republican, but lie about it to their friends. Wicker Park, Chicago; Williamsburg, New York; Uptown, Minneapolis; and Haight-Ashbury, San Francisco fit the bill.

And the last kind of pretentiousness that I can think of right now is the stubborn-political pretentiousness. These tend to be rural areas or college towns and are filled with people who have opions of the far left or far right, but they have no sense of how to actually be persuasive or how American government works. Case in point, when Alabama thinks that it can tromp a federal court decision, that's pretentious. Also, when a bunch of college kids in Ithaca, New York think that standing around with protest signs could tear down capitalism, that's pretention too.

On the flipside, more working-class parts of the country as well as places with well-earned importance are unprentious.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 03-18-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 02:40 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Working-class areas often have their own pretenses, typically relating to how "real" they are. You're not a real citizen of an area if you didn't attend high school there. You're not a real football fan unless you cheer for a team that hasn't won anything in over 50 years. You don't get the local culture if you don't like the local cheap beer. If you haven't been to this bar before, you don't need to be here. And if it's not country or classic rock, then you need to turn that ***** music off.

Take anyplace east of the 100th meridian that's within 200 miles of the 40th parallel, at least 90% white, and has a median household income under $50,000, and you'll encounter plenty of working-class heroes and other pretentious proles at some point.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:54 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:

St Louis is pretty pretentious, and in the last 15-20 years Chicago has simultaneously become more pretentious and less unique/interesting/worth being pretentious about.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:45 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Quote:

This. Ill add Philly as another unpretentious city.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:06 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Also, the more of a liberal slant a city has, the more pretentious the reputation seems to be.
Is it liberalism that makes pretentiousness or just that most urban areas tend to be liberal and the pretentiousness just comes with being urban?

All cities have their own form of pretentiousness, whether it be based on power, income, fashion, race, religion, or what have you. Even some of these Rust Belt cities that people are saying unpretentious have some form of it (often racism).

I would say the most classic and in your face kind of pretentiousness I've witnessed was from BosWash corridor cities such as NYC and DC. Washington, DC in particular is like a magnet for Napoleon complexes. It's like opening a jungle storybook and all these locusts and flies come shooting out of the book with these loud screeching noises. You have to slam the book shut real fast. Like whoa.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:22 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I think the big cities have a lot of pretentiousness, of course some big cities have more pretentiousness than others.

Pretentious: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas (duh!)
Unpretentious: Portland (Oregon)

Old 03-18-2015, 07:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Another thing I tend to notice is that the most pretentious people in any given city tend to be the TRANSPLANTS who come there to fulfill an agenda, thinking they are supposed to be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.