Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:41 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times

Advertisements

I'll have you know I stayed in your city once. We were on our way to meet a friend on Padre Island and just couldn't drive any further. So yes, we were a long way from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:13 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
I'm actually usually disappointed when I'm far away from home on a road trip and no one even acknowledges where I'm from when I show them my ID.

Most people just aren't surprised by or curious about others anymore in our plugged-in, digitally-connected global world.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:31 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
LOL as long as you didn't stay at the Hays Ambassador and Conference Center. When me, my husband, my brother, his wife, and their cats were all driving from PA to CO (we were all moving here), we had to find pet friendly hotels to stop at. We were going to stay in Hays, Kansas for the night but the hotel we'd picked (Hays Ambassador) basically turned out to be a crack den. We'd originally picked it because it claimed to be a Ramada and sure enough, there were Ramada signs outside, but it was clearly not a safe place so we ditched it and went onto the next town (couldn't find any other pet friendly hotels in Hays with rooms available). When the guys went to get some take out, they chatted with the staff while waiting for the food and told them about what happened with the hotel in Hays. They asked which hotel and when the guys told them, they literally burst out laughing and said "Yeah, you don't ever want to stay there."

Later, we contacted Ramada headquarters and reported the hotel was using their name but we couldn't believe they were actually associated with Ramada. Sure enough, Ramada got back to us and said they used to be associated with that hotel but they had dropped them a while ago, and then thanked us for letting them know their name and logo was still being used illegally. I presume Ramada took legal action and the signs are no longer there.

Granted, I don't know what the rest of Hays is like but it seemed like a small town with not much else to it.

Hays Ambassador Hotel & Conference Center (KS) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
No, I stayed at the Days Inn:

Days Inn Hays (KS) - TripAdvisor - Book, Compare Prices & Read Motel Reviews

It is next door to Arby's, where I ate lunch each day, and there is a park behind it. I wanted an inexpensive motel, but not bottom of the barrel. I was impressed when I checked the TripAdvisor website that the Days Inn manager responded to reviews.

As far as Hays goes, it is the home of Fort Hays State University, the only state university in western Kansas. The cultural centers of Kansas tend to be the cities with state universities.

So which city did you end up in after you left Hays?

Last edited by mshultz; 03-21-2015 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: More precise language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.