Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 11:38 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times

Advertisements

Do you vacation more or less after being on CD?

Personally, I find more places I want to visit than I have time to see. Although, I've also noticed I get pickier about finding the "right" place or very specific place that I'm looking for. In the past I'd just head out for somewhere and see what I could see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:05 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Probably more, since I joined around the time I became an adult.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
I do not believe that I travel more or less as a result of visiting the CD boards. I would definitely say that I do not rely on CD (especially the many uninformed posters) to provide me with accurate information about different places to visit. It seems that there are a lot of bandwagoners who frequent here and are unable to provide their own unique comments about places, but rather spit up the same regurgitated things they've seen post after post, thread after thread...and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them have never visited the places they love to comment on (for better or for worse).

Old 06-29-2015, 02:48 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
I joined with this account in March, and I've been to Myrtle Beach since and will be going to Chicago this week. That's about a vacation every two months so mathematically I will have been vacationing more since joining CD.

I definitely have became more interested and gotten more ideas of places to travel since engaging in discussion here, especially the General US Forum.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Not vacation but partially through CD I was able to find my relocation city. I learned how to discern those who genuinely knew what they were talking about as opposed to those who were just repeating hearsay about various cities to which they had never been.

I traded up from an elitist, overpriced city to a nice, friendly, affordable one by paying attention to what the knowledgeable people had to say about the various cities I researched.

I never really thought of using CD as a vacation source but it sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will do that.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Less, but it's coincidental. A combination of work and family life pretty much sucks up all my free time. It might be a couple of years before I go anywhere.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Not travel more but travel more smartly in terms of winnowing out specific neighborhoods, areas and cultural amenities that would least and most interest me and focus accordingly when I am likely to be visiting there.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:45 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Whenever I travel, it will always be outside of the US. But by being on here, I definitely do learn more about my own country and see places that I would be interested in visiting. But I get so much more out of traveling abroad, so I'd be wasting my time doing domestic vacations. I've been in big cities all over the US, so I feel like I've seen what I've want to see.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I traded up from an elitist, overpriced city to a nice, friendly, affordable one by paying attention to what the knowledgeable people had to say about the various cities I researched.
In real life I think you don't get this as much. A place has to be really on somebody's radar to get a recommendation (which are usually those elitist or overpriced cities). That is unless someone you know moved somewhere for work. Lots of places get featured on here that are great, but you'd never even think of taking a trip to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.