Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 24,288 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone my name is Jessica
My friend and I both 22 year old college students are looking into relocating we currently live in Philadelphia, PA and are bored. We are looking for a good college town that is affordable and has a lot to do.... we need a good nightlife and shopping...I noticed Athens Georgia on the list and we are looking for rent no more then for 1200 a month for 2 beds near a city.
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullme20 View Post
My friend and I both 22 year old college students are looking into relocating we currently live in Philadelphia, PA and are bored. We are looking for a good college town that is affordable and has a lot to do.... we need a good nightlife and shopping...I noticed Athens Georgia on the list and we are looking for rent no more then for 1200 a month for 2 beds near a city.
Jessica
Are you out of school I presume? Do you care what region of the country you like to relocate to (is weather a priority)? Are you looking for a big city? Medium? Small? Nightlife, is it important? Cultural experiences too? Need to know more before pointing you in a direction.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Some info would certainly be more helpful.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 PM

11 posts, read 24,288 times
weather is not really a concern i am still in school for the next 3 years but attend classes online so it doesnt matter for me. my friend is graduating this spring and is looking for a graduate school. i would like to be more south or west i dont want to be north i really would like to get away from the cold weather. like i said nightlife and shopping are important i dont want there to be just a walmart lol as well as safety we must live somewhere safe! florida doesnt interest me but anywhere else is fine. any suggestions are appreciated i just want the opinion of someone who has actually been there and has seen the city

Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
St. Louis will about fit your price range, and I would think SLU, Washington University, or any other local school would have a graduate program that might work for your friend. $1200 for a 2-BR apartment is possible here. But St. Louis is supposed to get 8 inches of snow tonight, so it may be too cold for you in winter. It does get to the 80s-90s in summer.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
weather is not really a concern i am still in school for the next 3 years but attend classes online so it doesnt matter for me. my friend is graduating this spring and is looking for a graduate school. i would like to be more south or west i dont want to be north i really would like to get away from the cold weather. like i said nightlife and shopping are important i dont want there to be just a walmart lol as well as safety we must live somewhere safe! florida doesnt interest me but anywhere else is fine. any suggestions are appreciated i just want the opinion of someone who has actually been there and has seen the city
Well, most of the west is extremely frigid (elevation plays a big role) in winter. Places like Montana, Nebraska, Wyoming, etc, are downright frigid. The only truly warm places in winter would be south Florida or Honolulu. Places like L.A., Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, etc, are pretty mild, but not too warm and can very cold too. Certainly not cold like in PA, but the problem is their summers are extremely hot and prolonged. Id recommend Albuquerque who has decently warm winters, gorgeous springs and falls, and a hot summer. And dont also assume that the entire state will be warm either. For instance, Phoenix averages low 60s in winter, but Flagstaff is frigid and gets tons of snow (elevation). Same for Santa Fe, NM. While its in New Mexico, its alot colder there than Pennsylvania.

As for my recommendation of Albuquerque and its weather, I can tell you that it lacks in nightlife for the most part. There are some small areas that have decent nightlife and shopping, just dont expect it to be on the level that Philly is.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Denver has great nightlife and the winters there are not really that bad. Snow melts very quickly there. Denver offers a lot of recreation because it is at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains too. Salt Lake City is much the same and it is NOT just a city full of Mormons!

Seattle's winters are not that bad either. That city has a lot of nightlife too and some great bands roll through that city. Reno is smaller, but has a lot for young people to do. Phoenix is a great city too. Maybe a city in Texas? There are a lot of them to choose from.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:01 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,419 times
Quote:
Jessica

Ann arbor, MI is a top college town and very affordable. Plus you get the great nightlife, shopping, concerts, etc. in metro Detroit which is less than 30 minutes away.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:48 PM

214 posts, read 871,937 times
have you thought of looking into las vegas it has the nightlife your looking for as well the shopping and good places to eat at as well. i think you should be able to fine a 2 bedroom apartment around that price range $1,200 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.