Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Yes, Americans are obsessed with race as much as the English are obsessed with class.
They care plenty about race, too. Try asking an elderly English person how they feel about Germans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I disagree it's just about homogeneity. You'll get a very different reaction if you're nonwhite and move into rural West Virginia versus rural Vermont.
What would the difference be?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
unfortunately, you would be hard pressed to find such a place. I do my best to treat people as I would want them to treat me, and to be kind and respectful to any person. I have friends of various races, and I value and respect each and everyone of them.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 AM

27 posts, read 21,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They care plenty about race, too. Try asking an elderly English person how they feel about Germans.
Very true. The U.K. Is very race conscious as well. You should hear what Brits have to say about the current state of immigration in their country...

I hope one day all this race stuff can get put aside.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 AM

93,351 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What would the difference be?
I was wondering the same thing and you are more apt to find a rural community with non white people in WV versus VT. You even have predominately Black small towns in WV.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Default Is htere anywhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was wondering the same thing and you are more apt to find a rural community with non white people in WV versus VT. You even have predominately Black small towns in WV.
I'm thinking that the poster meant that the attitudes of rural Vermonter would be markedly different, i.e. better, toward people of a nonwhite race moving into their area or next door than the attitudes found in a similar situation were it to occur in rural West Virginia.
My experience has been that Vermonters may be about as color-blind as any place I've found in the U.S.
In other words, rural culture is markedly different and non-racist in Vermont even though just by appearances sake you might have cause to wonder.
Even though there are some nonwhites in rural West Virginias, I'm not so sure that whites there are as comparably color blind as Vermonters.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:30 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Vermont is in certain respects more culturally diverse than West Virginia, even if both are predominantly white. This is supported by ancestry data, as Vermont has larger populations with many different European backgrounds (e.g. French Canadian, given their proximity to Quebec), whereas West Virginia has a higher share claiming no specific ancestry or 'American'. It's also likely that a higher proportion of Vermont residents have previously lived in more diverse, urbanized areas vs. the case in West Virginia, and thus would have more familiarity with newcomers of different backgrounds.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:32 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Homogeneously white areas. There may be a few other small racial groups, but not enough to grant exposure to the "bad side" of the race which comes with larger numbers. The issue/obsession comes with the "bad side" of races, the few bad apples with very loud impacts.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:14 AM

93,351 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Vermont is in certain respects more culturally diverse than West Virginia, even if both are predominantly white. This is supported by ancestry data, as Vermont has larger populations with many different European backgrounds (e.g. French Canadian, given their proximity to Quebec), whereas West Virginia has a higher share claiming no specific ancestry or 'American'. It's also likely that a higher proportion of Vermont residents have previously lived in more diverse, urbanized areas vs. the case in West Virginia, and thus would have more familiarity with newcomers of different backgrounds.
It depends on where in WV, as you do have small towns with Italian and Polish communities due to the coal mining industry. Some towns have small, but visible Hispanic populations as well. e-WV | Poles

e-WV | Italians

e-WV | African-American Heritage

Some towns: e-WV | Gary
e-WV | Keystone
e-WV | See West Virginia: See WV: Lewisburg
e-WV | Malden

Good point about those moving to rural VT from urban areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-22-2015 at 04:37 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 11:46 AM

579 posts, read 433,098 times
Elementary schools.

I'd agree with those who answered homogeneous areas. I grew up in an all-white town and rarely thought about it. But I assume that's not what you're asking. You're talking about a diverse area. My best guess is that it would have to be an area with good social services as well as many minorities doing well financially. You would have to see a mixture of races everywhere you went. And those conditions would have had to be the case for quite some time.

But I can't imagine not noticing race, because it stands out immediately. In your example, is it really any different than saying "that blond guy over there"? It should just be a description. The problem is what we associate with the description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.