Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 1,899 times

Advertisements

we have lived in northern VA entire life, 33 years. Over it. Want to move! Thinking New England. maybe VT or NH? MA? we would like to take a couple days up north this winter for a getaway and thought we should start checking out the area while we are there. getting a better idea of where would suit us to live would help narrow down the vacation details as well. want to make the most of our visit, as its not easy for us to get away.

husband graduates with computer science degree from george mason university in may.
would like to move up north, small town feel, have a little hobby farm for some animals and a little garden with a nice charming house. I need seasons! less traffic. laid back. NOVA is very hectic, expensive, pretentious, strip malls, with a huge lack of personality anymore. its time to go.

I make all my own EVERYTHING... would love to be able to open a little shop somewhere to sell homemade organic everything from soups to soaps! (if you catch my drift). have restaurant management experience, personal chef, caterer etc etc so i can work anywhere. currently a personal assistant.. husband needs area that has more options for computer science/software engineer etc. unless he finds telecommuting job.

we arent hippies or hipsters. probably more conservative yet we are heavily tattooed.. jeans & tshirts kinda folks that like to dress nice as well. Like the eclectic craft beers & artisan cheeses also like classical music performances. also vegetarians. Just to shed light on our personality... sister in law moving to CO but out west isnt my scene. East coast all the way!

looking for some culture. history. personality. property to start a family. also would be bringing my mother along with early alzheimers...

figured I should start looking and researching now as this is quite a task!

Any feedback or suggestions would be great! THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 11:28 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Are you strictly looking into New England states or the Northeast in general?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:13 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
New Hampshire is probably going to be most in your wheelhouse in terms of your personalities/beliefs and varying criteria. The southern end of the state places you in the Boston metro's sphere for work opportunity and conveniences, yet offers plenty of rural options. Check out the small towns in NH north of Haverhill and Lawrence such as Salem, Hampstead and Danville among others.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:50 PM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
New Hampshire is probably going to be most in your wheelhouse in terms of your personalities/beliefs and varying criteria. The southern end of the state places you in the Boston metro's sphere for work opportunity and conveniences, yet offers plenty of rural options. Check out the small towns in NH north of Haverhill and Lawrence such as Salem, Hampstead and Danville among others.

yeah .. what kyle said .. that region of New England will offer you the most in terms of what your looking for...and its a good central location to go off and explore the rest of New England

Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 PM

150 posts, read 219,261 times
New England is way more colder in the winter time and more expensive than even NOVA! If I were you - I'd move South. Hampton Roads, Williamsburg, or the Carolinas is much better!

Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
New England is way more colder in the winter time and more expensive than even NOVA! If I were you - I'd move South. Hampton Roads, Williamsburg, or the Carolinas is much better!
It depends on where in New England, as the areas away from the Bos-Wash corridor tend to be more affordable.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:57 AM

822 posts, read 858,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
and not everyone is afraid of the cold, and it also depends on where in New England, and its not cold all year. It's not all a frozen wasteland. Temps are still in the 70's.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you strictly looking into New England states or the Northeast in general?

doesnt have to be strictly new england, was also looking towards upstate new york.

we like a good winter & snow but would also like the option to do the beaches in warmer months. I think the new england set/ northeast fits better with our ideals.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends on where in New England, as the areas away from the Bos-Wash corridor tend to be more affordable.

i figure expense is all relative.. If i can afford the cost of living here on one income im sure we could afford the cost of living there on one or two incomes. I would pay the same maybe even a little more for a better quality of life. Id drive an hour for work gladly with scenic routes. I drive an hour to go 12 miles in bumper to bumper traffic as is. Route 66 is the worst!!

I pay 1300$ for a 700 sq ft apt in manassas va, the rent has literally doubled since I moved in. its not a nice neighborhood, i wont walk my dogs alone in the dark. my car has repeatedly been broken into in the parking lot. and its right on a now very busy street that has sirens going all day/night and theres an accident almost literally every other day trying to turn into the neighborhood because the street is so busy.

there has to be something better!! Any of the new england states look great. have a girlfriend who is from vermont, also lived in new hampshire, currently lives in GA due to husbands job. has all good things to say about the area and has lived across the street from me in NoVa. seems like the place for me.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgfv3 View Post
doesnt have to be strictly new england, was also looking towards upstate new york.

we like a good winter & snow but would also like the option to do the beaches in warmer months. I think the new england set/ northeast fits better with our ideals.
If you don't mind Upstate NY, then look into Saratoga County and specifically Saratoga Springs or Ballston Spa. It is a part of the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro and NY's Tech Valley region. You have lakeside beaches nearby like Million Dollar Beach on Lake George, as an example.

Ballston Spa will be more affordable than Saratoga Springs and there are more standard suburban and rural options nearby. Saratoga County has been the fastest or one of the fastest growing counties in NY State in recent years as well.

It is within 3 or so hours of Boston and NYC, if you need a major city fix and minutes from the Adirondacks, Catskills and Berkshires. Vermont isn't that far away.

Companies like GE and Global Foundries, among others, are within a reasonable drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.