Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 3,886 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am writing to ask for some advice on places that I should consider moving to for short periods of time before moving on to the next city (3-6 months in each place) Please, let me explain the situation...

I have just signed a contract for a legitimate work at home position for a large utility company.

The perks of the job are:
- Flexible Schedule..nights, weekends, mornings, etc as long as I get my work done.
- My employer has stated that I will be working from home 100% of the time, and can live anywhere in the United States
- Salary: 72k/year,possibility of being raised to 83k/year in January (Provided for cost of living purposes)

Other background information about me:
- Lived in Denver,CO for 22 years and Mobile, AL for 1 year
- 23 years old
- Male
- Single (But, a girlfriend would be nice)
- No Kids
- No Student or Credit Card Debt just a modest car payment
- I love trying new restaurants, hanging out at coffee shops, and going to a night club every once in awhile
- I prefer places with nice year-round weather and beaches
- Current rent ~$1400 including utilities
- Working on saving $5,000-10,000 for emergencies and moving expenses before moving in February

Considering the opportunity I have been graciously given, I feel as if it would be a waste to work from home in Denver, since I have lived here the majority of my life. I would like to live in a few different places so that I can get a good idea of where I would like to settle down. I realize this might end up being Denver, but I want to at least experience different parts of the country. I'm thinking that I could spend 3-6 months living someplace new and then moving to the next location. I don't have much stuff, and the stuff I do have I figure I can either sell, donate, or store. Furnished apartments and short-term or month-to-month leases will be my friends.

So, lets begin the fun! My current brainstorm list includes (In order from first city/state I would move to, to the last)

- Hawaii - Maui or Oahu (6 months~not looking to settle here)
- Texas - Austin (3-4 months)
- Florida - ??? (3-4 months)
- California - San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica (6-12 months~most appealing to settle in)
- Where else???

I have been doing as much research as I can so far, but I would like to kindly ask from all of you is:

- I am not positive if this is an adventure I should embark on...any thoughts?
- Any input about the States/Cities I have listed above?
- If you were in a similar situation where would you move to? Would you move at all?
- Any recommendations of places I should look at and research?

My apology for the long post, I thank you all for the help!
Ethan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Based on your wants (nice weather...which could be anywhere since you could just pick one good month there...coffee shops, restaurants and a night club, where potential girlfriends exist) there are hundreds of places that could work. I think you have to either suggest some other things you think you desire or just focus on a particular region of the country to start.

That said, to answer this question
Quote:
- If you were in a similar situation where would you move to? Would you move at all?
absolutely I'd do it!! My only fear is I wouldn't have enough time to experience it all! I would definitely lean hard on airbnb as I'd rather stay flexible and never commit to more than one month at a time. I am all about big cities but in this scenario I'd probably throw in a brief stay in a college town (particularly if I was your age) or a semi-rural area every now and then. I'd also hire a tax accountant to help me setup my bookkeeping before I even begin the journey. And maybe I'd set some ground rules for how long I would allow myself to stay in one place...but then I might break those rules. This is awesome! I'd also try to get myself in position to be at some major events that I want to be at (off the top of my head: Austin for SXSW, Grand Rapids for ArtPrize, Miami for ArtBasel, Cali for Coachella, Maine for Lobsterfest) as well as near home/relatives for the holidays.

Anyway, I am too excited for you haha. I've actually considered something similar before but could never quite get to the point where it would work. I still think I will although at this point (married with kid) it will take on a very different look and challenge. I've known people who have done similar, including a couple guys who actually used the opportunity to travel the globe, not just the US. So definitely do it and have fun!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Wherever you go, you're going to need a reliable Internet connection. Also, short-term housing costs probably won't be cheap, especially in some of the nicer areas. Other than those two problems, I'd say I'd absolutely do it.

I wonder why you have to contain yourself to the United States? With a reliable Internet connection, you could work from Tahiti, right?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Based on your wants (nice weather...which could be anywhere since you could just pick one good month there...coffee shops, restaurants and a night club, where potential girlfriends exist) there are hundreds of places that could work. I think you have to either suggest some other things you think you desire or just focus on a particular region of the country to start.

That said, to answer this question

absolutely I'd do it!! My only fear is I wouldn't have enough time to experience it all! I would definitely lean hard on airbnb as I'd rather stay flexible and never commit to more than one month at a time. I am all about big cities but in this scenario I'd probably throw in a brief stay in a college town (particularly if I was your age) or a semi-rural area every now and then. I'd also hire a tax accountant to help me setup my bookkeeping before I even begin the journey. And maybe I'd set some ground rules for how long I would allow myself to stay in one place...but then I might break those rules. This is awesome! I'd also try to get myself in position to be at some major events that I want to be at (off the top of my head: Austin for SXSW, Grand Rapids for ArtPrize, Miami for ArtBasel, Cali for Coachella, Maine for Lobsterfest) as well as near home/relatives for the holidays.

Anyway, I am too excited for you haha. I've actually considered something similar before but could never quite get to the point where it would work. I still think I will although at this point (married with kid) it will take on a very different look and challenge. I've known people who have done similar, including a couple guys who actually used the opportunity to travel the globe, not just the US. So definitely do it and have fun!
Thank you for your response! I would like to mainly focus on states where it doesn't snow or get very cold during the winter time. I don't ski or snowboard, so Colorado winters (As mild as they are) have started to get me down. I would probably say Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, California, Texas, Florida, South & North Carolina would be states I am interested in living it. The tough part is picking which cities to live in. During the spring/summer I wouldn't mind living someplace north, but I would want to leave before the cold and snow hit.

I see you are located in Florida...this is a state that I am having difficulties picking a city or two to live in. Any ideas?

Also, I think that is a great idea to be in certain cities for major events also, great idea to live in some college towns! I think that I am probably interested in staying in places for a slightly longer time period than 1 month as I would like to really get a feel for what it would be like to live there.

I truly hope that one day you will be able to do something similar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Wherever you go, you're going to need a reliable Internet connection. Also, short-term housing costs probably won't be cheap, especially in some of the nicer areas. Other than those two problems, I'd say I'd absolutely do it.

I wonder why you have to contain yourself to the United States? With a reliable Internet connection, you could work from Tahiti, right?
Thanks for the response! You are right, short-term housing won't be cheap, but I figure since I won't have to commute to work that should help to offset the expense. Plus, my current rent is $1400 including utilities, so I am used to relatively high rent rates.

Hmm...I will have to talk to my employer about the possibility about living in different countries. This would definitely allow more options and I could possibly cut down on the COL. Perhaps I might wait a few months to show them that I can perform well within the country and see if it would be possible to move out of the country. I could see phone calls/conference calls, VPN access, and time zones as being possible barriers. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:08 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
You'll never get this opportunity again most likely, so given the budget and lack of commitments that would prevent it I would wholeheartedly recommend Honolulu. It nails all of your criteria and due to it's distance from the mainland would be hard to replicate again.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eds24 View Post
Thank you for your response! I would like to mainly focus on states where it doesn't snow or get very cold during the winter time. I don't ski or snowboard, so Colorado winters (As mild as they are) have started to get me down. I would probably say Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, California, Texas, Florida, South & North Carolina would be states I am interested in living it. The tough part is picking which cities to live in. During the spring/summer I wouldn't mind living someplace north, but I would want to leave before the cold and snow hit.

I see you are located in Florida...this is a state that I am having difficulties picking a city or two to live in. Any ideas?

Also, I think that is a great idea to be in certain cities for major events also, great idea to live in some college towns! I think that I am probably interested in staying in places for a slightly longer time period than 1 month as I would like to really get a feel for what it would be like to live there.
Well what are some other things you are interested in? Or are you keeping it very vague because you'd like to experience many different types of places to help you decide what's best in the long run? And I'm assuming you're bringing a car with you?

Not knowing anymore than the coffee shops/restaurants and beaches I guess I'll suggest for Florida:

Miami Beach, definitely. It's a unique area and offers a unique experience. Fairly night clubby though but worth trying once. If you can't find housing that's suitable in your price range there are other decent areas around downtown and Brickell that are good for young people and still allow you to hit the beaches whenever you feel like it.

Lots of beautiful beaches in smaller towns all over the southern half of the east coast of FL stretching all the way around the peninsula to the panhandle. The ones I'm familiar with are Sarasota and Naples (feels like mostly old/retired folks), Ft Myers (small kinda college town), Panama City Beach (more of a party atmosphere). I'd personally go with St Pete as a good, young person's place, in a large metro area but laid-back and somewhat the opposite of Miami Beach.

Jacksonville, since I spend much of my time here, I will mention just to say it's a pretty good mid-sized city as far as amenities and young crowd go. It's biggest strength is the low COL, including at the beach.

Oh, and I'd think about checking out Key West!! It's really on the small side for me and can be quite pricey but it's also extremely unique. You can do a lot worse than Dec - Feb in Key West.

As for your other states listed, I love the West Coast but have never lived there. Seattle is one of my favorites. As a Chinese-American, by default I feel very comfortable in SF and LA as well lol. Austin, Dallas and Houston are all B+ cities for me...they all have certain positives and only a few negatives. Charleston should also be on your short list...great food, nice people, cool history. I think I'd move on after 2 months but I'd really enjoy it. Not sure if you have any interest in classical music but Spoleto in the summertime should have been another "major event" that I listed in my first post. I don't have much experience with Charlotte. Raleigh-Durham is a cool place and I'd certainly not mind spending a few months there (it's a pretty spread out CSA so you can get the college vibe, small town crunchy/hipster, and quasi-urban feel all in different parts of the region. That said, it's not terribly unique or a must-see in my book.

I love Minneapolis and Portland, ME. You should definitely try to hit those in the warmer months. (Of course Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, DC etc, as well, but I figure everyone knows about those cities so no need for me to put them on your radar)

Quote:
I truly hope that one day you will be able to do something similar!
Thank you. I'm quite fortunate as I've managed to travel a lot my entire life, in more recent years in fact spending large amounts of time in certain cities. But there are a handful that I've missed entirely, and more that I'd like to see for months on end to really get involved in the community. I've resigned to the fact there's not enough time in one life to do as much as I'd like in every city/country I'd like to, but at the very least you gotta seize the opportunities you get!

Old 11-28-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Well what are some other things you are interested in? Or are you keeping it very vague because you'd like to experience many different types of places to help you decide what's best in the long run? And I'm assuming you're bringing a car with you?

Not knowing anymore than the coffee shops/restaurants and beaches I guess I'll suggest for Florida:

Miami Beach, definitely. It's a unique area and offers a unique experience. Fairly night clubby though but worth trying once. If you can't find housing that's suitable in your price range there are other decent areas around downtown and Brickell that are good for young people and still allow you to hit the beaches whenever you feel like it.

Lots of beautiful beaches in smaller towns all over the southern half of the east coast of FL stretching all the way around the peninsula to the panhandle. The ones I'm familiar with are Sarasota and Naples (feels like mostly old/retired folks), Ft Myers (small kinda college town), Panama City Beach (more of a party atmosphere). I'd personally go with St Pete as a good, young person's place, in a large metro area but laid-back and somewhat the opposite of Miami Beach.

Jacksonville, since I spend much of my time here, I will mention just to say it's a pretty good mid-sized city as far as amenities and young crowd go. It's biggest strength is the low COL, including at the beach.

Oh, and I'd think about checking out Key West!! It's really on the small side for me and can be quite pricey but it's also extremely unique. You can do a lot worse than Dec - Feb in Key West.

As for your other states listed, I love the West Coast but have never lived there. Seattle is one of my favorites. As a Chinese-American, by default I feel very comfortable in SF and LA as well lol. Austin, Dallas and Houston are all B+ cities for me...they all have certain positives and only a few negatives. Charleston should also be on your short list...great food, nice people, cool history. I think I'd move on after 2 months but I'd really enjoy it. Not sure if you have any interest in classical music but Spoleto in the summertime should have been another "major event" that I listed in my first post. I don't have much experience with Charlotte. Raleigh-Durham is a cool place and I'd certainly not mind spending a few months there (it's a pretty spread out CSA so you can get the college vibe, small town crunchy/hipster, and quasi-urban feel all in different parts of the region. That said, it's not terribly unique or a must-see in my book.

I love Minneapolis and Portland, ME. You should definitely try to hit those in the warmer months. (Of course Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, DC etc, as well, but I figure everyone knows about those cities so no need for me to put them on your radar)

Thank you. I'm quite fortunate as I've managed to travel a lot my entire life, in more recent years in fact spending large amounts of time in certain cities. But there are a handful that I've missed entirely, and more that I'd like to see for months on end to really get involved in the community. I've resigned to the fact there's not enough time in one life to do as much as I'd like in every city/country I'd like to, but at the very least you gotta seize the opportunities you get!

Thank You for your thoughtful response. As far as what I am interested in doing, I am actually a pretty simple person. For example, I spent a week in San Diego. While I was there I spend time checking out the different beaches, exploring the coffee shops, and eating lots of good food. I went to a couple of tourist attractions but, not very many. For the cities on the mainland I would be taking my car.

The Florida suggestions you made have helped me a lot.

Actually, I thank you for helping to open my mind further. I am actually now considering living in 12 different cities each for one month. I am also thinking about getting into photography/videography and blogging to document my travels.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:54 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Taking out your beach requirement you should stay in Atlanta for at least 6 months especially between March - November because they have so many concerts and festivals that it's ridiculous

Old 11-29-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Actually, I thank you for helping to open my mind further. I am actually now considering living in 12 different cities each for one month. I am also thinking about getting into photography/videography and blogging to document my travels.
This is definitely what you need to do!! Seriously, you could actually make some money on the side if you do it well. Even travel shows only visit a place for a few days...your story/blogs/vlogs would be fairly unique having immersed yourself for an entire month.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Taking out your beach requirement you should stay in Atlanta for at least 6 months especially between March - November because they have so many concerts and festivals that it's ridiculous
Thanks for the suggestion! I have a friend in Atlanta so I might have to stop there for a bit. At least from my first impressions of it, I'm not sure it is a place I would like to live though.

Quote:
This is definitely what you need to do!! Seriously, you could actually make some money on the side if you do it well. Even travel shows only visit a place for a few days...your story/blogs/vlogs would be fairly unique having immersed yourself for an entire month.
Thank you for helping to validate the idea! I have told a few others about this idea, but they usually just comment on how hard it would be..or how expensive it may be to try a new city each month. When it comes to the documenting of my travels... I would like the blog/vlogs to offer a lot of value to the audience compared to just giving updates of each city. So, I am thinking about mixing in habit forming to further differentiate myself. I am in a place in my life that I really need to start making some changes in my habits...learning to meditate, read more, exercise, cook, sleep, hydration, etc. Though it would be challenging I am thinking of...12 months...12 cities...12 habits. Focusing on one city and one habit each month. I'm thinking this might give me more options for monetization and content.

To get back on topic...here are the cities I am thinking of. I have just picked large cities originally and in a logical route, but I think it might be nice to add some smaller towns in the mix. Do you happen to have any suggestions/comments?

January: Denver
February: Seattle
March: Portland
April: San Diego (Santa Barbara)
May: Austin
June: Miami
July: Washington D.C
August: New York, New York
September: Chicago
October: Anchorage
November: Honolulu
December: San Juan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.