Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 10:08 AM

817 posts, read 628,146 times

Advertisements

Weather related thread. I'm no boomer snowbird or anything (31 years old) but I seriously hate snow and prefer warm/hot weather.

Whenever I search up cities on reddit or CD and weather comes up in the discussion, you get so many people saying how they can't stand the heat, how they love snow and the cold and change of seasons and all that.

Am I the only here who hates snow and cold weather in general? I mean the endless shoveling, the damage it does to roads and vehicles, the ridiculous cost of heating. Like yeah you get to build snowmen and go sledding or whatever, but that gets boring. I just don't see how people can prefer cold snowy weather over hot/warm weather. Does anyone here actually like snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 10:19 AM

457 posts, read 350,397 times
Obviously you're not the only who hates it. There are plenty of folks, I'd wager the majority of people could go year round without it. There are also plenty of people who, don't mind dealing with it, enjoy watching it snow, or absolutely live for it.

Weather is one of those things people have extreme opinions on. People who hate snow/cold climate often present themselves as if their views are facts and not preference. Just because one can't understand another's preference doesn't make it any less valid.

I personally enjoy snow. I enjoy shoveling. I dress appropriately, and I love being inside watching it come down! Nothing more cozy to me than sitting inside by a fire while winter rages around me. I've driven in it most winters for the last 25 years so that doesn't bother me at all either. What I don't enjoy living in the upper midwest is March 15th- April 15th where that last lingering bit of winter just won't relent. It would be the perfect place for me if those last 4 weeks of the cold season were consistently more mild instead of hit or miss.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:23 AM

822 posts, read 857,822 times
I love it. Love snow storms. Was thrilled with the blizzard we just had. I like a change of seasons overall. I don't want Winter to last forever, but I don't want the other seasons to either.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:24 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Love it.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:32 AM

965 posts, read 724,888 times
Yes, I like snow. That is to say, I like when it's snowing, and maybe the day after. In a perfect world, on day 3 it would all melt. But I live in a condo, walk almost everywhere and have a garaged parking spot, so I'm not particularly impacted by it on a day-to-day basis. Privileged? Yeah, I suppose that is true. But then again, I liked it as a kid too and did not grow up that way (and indeed grew up shoveling the stuff).

And re: heating costs... my electric bills in the summer (driven by AC usage) are quite literally 3x what my gas bills are in the winter. At least 3x.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:33 AM

1,846 posts, read 832,803 times
It's fine for a few weeks at most. Temperature is a bigger factor, if I could get lots of snow with temperatures in the 20's then it wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:39 AM

1,320 posts, read 867,775 times
Snow is the only thing I like about winter.

That said, I don't really ever have to drive in it (nor did I when I lived in Ohio) so that's probably why I think of it more favorably

Old 02-01-2022, 10:41 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Yup. Love hiking in the winter. It's way more peaceful because the trails are far less crowded. I don't mind shoveling, either. It's a great workout.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:45 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
I love snow and winter. Love the winter season in general from Thanksgiving through New Years. Enjoy snow and snow sports, grew up skiing, and have enjoyed getting my family into the sport. I generally like being colder than hot (although I do like sitting by the pool in the summer...).

Old 02-01-2022, 10:49 AM

3,265 posts, read 1,747,333 times
YES ! I used to be a positively rabid skier, both downhill and cross-country. I'll still get out on snowshoes once in a while. I want to get back on the X/C skis but an accident (car, not ski ! ) sidelined me a couple years ago. For me one of the most peacefull experiences is the shhh, shhh sound of my cross country skis making as I glide along one of the many trails behind the house with the only other sounds being the soft dee, dee, dee calls of the ever present chickadees flitting about and the quiet husssssh of new falling snow while gliding near silently along through a winter wonderland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.