Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 09:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

Hello City Data!
I would love some feedback on living in snowy cities.
I understand no matter what, there will be ice scraping and chains if we own a car, all that goes with the territory.

I'm curious which places are the hardest and the easiest to live with snow? Longest, most blizzards, coldest, how icey, how often power is lost how efficient the city is on plowing etc.

Also the people in the city and how they deal with it? Is winter celebrated? Are there festivals and a variety of snow sports, fun things like carriage rides and hot apple cider? Stuff like that!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 09:26 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Hardest
1. Syracuse, NY
2. Buffalo, NY
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Cleveland, OH
5. Worcester, MA
6. Green Bay, WI
7. Albany, NY
8. Milwaukee, WI
9. Chicago, IL
10. Hartford, CT

Best?
Honolulu, Miami, Tampa, San Diego and LA lol

Old 01-19-2020, 10:12 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Out of the cities that get at least some snow most winters, Seattle is one of the mildest for it. It's not regular enough or deep enough for snow-related stuff to be part of the culture here.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:21 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
I agree with Massachoicetts in that Syracuse and Buffalo are really tough, because they get a ton of lake effect snow and it is usually the wet, heavy and icey stuff. The cities up there are prepared for the snow, however.

For people that love snow and want to best enjoy it, Denver is one of the "easiest," or just best places for that. It will dump a bunch of snow that is powdery and easy to clear off the car, there is very little ice, and the next day it will be 60 degrees and sunny. On those days, head up to the ski slopes (where it is admittedly colder, but still nice and sunny) and enjoy the perfect skiing conditions: sunny with powdery snow!

Old 01-19-2020, 10:38 AM

255 posts, read 159,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hardest
1. Syracuse, NY
2. Buffalo, NY
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Cleveland, OH
5. Worcester, MA
6. Green Bay, WI
7. Albany, NY
8. Milwaukee, WI
9. Chicago, IL
10. Hartford, CT

Best?
If we're going by million plus metros and average snowfall I'd also add Rochester, Grand Rapids and Denver. Both average at least 60 inches which would be more than all but the first two cities you listed. Also both seem to have plenty of winter events.

Last edited by bartonro; 01-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Added Rochester

Old 01-19-2020, 02:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Hardest
1. Syracuse, NY
2. Buffalo, NY
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Cleveland, OH
5. Worcester, MA
6. Green Bay, WI
7. Albany, NY
8. Milwaukee, WI
9. Chicago, IL
10. Hartford, CT

Best?
I am extremely confident that Duluth, MN has a harsher winter than all of your top 10. Syracuse and Buffalo may get more snow, but tack on harsher temps, it is probably one of the roughest.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:06 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hello City Data!
I would love some feedback on living in snowy cities.
I understand no matter what, there will be ice scraping and chains if we own a car, all that goes with the territory.

I'm curious which places are the hardest and the easiest to live with snow? Longest, most blizzards, coldest, how icey, how often power is lost how efficient the city is on plowing etc.

Also the people in the city and how they deal with it? Is winter celebrated? Are there festivals and a variety of snow sports, fun things like carriage rides and hot apple cider? Stuff like that!

Thank you!!
I never have used chains the entire time I lived in Duluth. Winter tires and good driving habits are all you need.

Duluth has the harshest winter on paper. It has the highest combo of snowfall and cold for a city in the lower 48. I would say the UP is the overall harshest region, but most don’t view Marquette as large enough to contend in these comparisons.

Duluth does winter right. Excellent plowing operation and people live winter well. It is cold though and will kick your butt royally if you are unprepared.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:17 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Best and worst in what way?

The snowiest cities and their people generally handle cold and snow management better than cities that do not regularly get much snow. The snow cities also rarely get ice storms, rarely have power failures, etc. Roads are kept clear and salted, tire chains are also illegal for use in the city. Airports stay open. Schools stay open.

In my city a foot of snow is an annoyance, but generally it is business as usual. The areas south of my city normally receive twice as much snow as the city itself, and again it is usually business as usual. I would call places that deal with it well "the best."

Old 01-19-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Hardest
1. Syracuse, NY
2. Buffalo, NY
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Cleveland, OH
5. Worcester, MA
6. Green Bay, WI
7. Albany, NY
8. Milwaukee, WI
9. Chicago, IL
10. Hartford, CT

Best?
This has got to be the most helpful relocation site on the internet!

Old 01-19-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Best and worst in what way?

Well... say Rapid City snowstorms vs. Salt Lake City snowstorms?

I would call places that deal with it well "the best."

Valid point... I've heard few inches of snow can bring a city or town to a stand still if they dont know how to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.