Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 6,417 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are expecting our first child in October. We currently live in Morgantown WV but desperately want to move closer to the beach.

We both are MD natives and have lived in Salisbury MD, about 30 minutes away from Ocean City MD. We loved it there and have considered moving back to the area, more around Berlin, MD as the schools in that area are rated pretty well.

But after taking a road trip last summer, were not sure that moving to the South wouldn't be a better option, mainly because its warmer and there are areas with more to do around the beach (more jobs, better restaurants, etc.).

We've considered:

Berlin, MD - as stated above, close to OC, schools rated well
Pawley's Island, SC - close to Myrtle Beach, schools are rated well, about 1.5 hour drive to Charleston
Summerville, SC - not a beach town really but seems to have good schools, close to Charleston for jobs, and more affordable than Mt. Pleasant. Beach is just a drive away which would be ok for us.

What do you all think? I know there are a ton of other areas along the coast that might match what we are looking for but with a baby on the way, we really want to put ourselves in a good place to live for a long time and have good schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:10 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Narragansett, RI has really great schools, and almost no crime. I have friends in Narragansett who don't have keys to their house. They actually go on vacation and leave their house open.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:34 AM

We were avoiding looking too far North just because of how cold it would get in the winter time. Though Narragansett seems to be a pretty place and the schools do get great ratings. I'll mention it to my wife. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:54 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What about often forgotten about Delaware?

Old 04-21-2016, 08:58 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
I would pick Summerville. Like you said, it's affordable, really nice, lots to do in the metro, close to Charleston and surrounding beaches. Great area! One of our favorite places on Earth

I would personally avoid the Myrtle Beach area in general. I've had family in the area my whole life and am very familiar with the area. Schools aren't great, it's considered more of an area for retirees, and Myrtle Beach's crime rate is very high. You'll do much better with Charleston.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:05 AM

Dela -where? Haha We actually liked Delaware for no sales tax when we lived in Salisbury... but never thought of living there. Are there any particular cities with good schools?

On the list, Summerville certainly seems to be the best location for jobs - which really I think makes it the most logical choice and probably best long term. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erehtuo View Post
Dela -where? Haha We actually liked Delaware for no sales tax when we lived in Salisbury... but never thought of living there. Are there any particular cities with good schools?

On the list, Summerville certainly seems to be the best location for jobs - which really I think makes it the most logical choice and probably best long term. Thanks!
Perhaps Newark, which is close to the shore and Wilmington. It is home to the University of Delaware as well.

Bear, I believe, has good schools and is near both Newark and Wilmington.

Middletown is another place to look into.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-21-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 10:21 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
I am still trying to grasp that you wouldn't want to move back to the Maryland coast.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:34 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Consider Southport in NC, it is a small town on a harbour, it is about 40 minutes south of Wilmington NC, and 45 minutes north of MB. It is about the same size as Pawley's Island but has a traditonal downtown area, and several restaurants right on the water and a nice waterfront park. Southport has the best firework show on July 4th that I've seen, they shoot them off boats on the river and everybody is watching in the Waterfront Park. It is like a festival.

There are good beaches nearby on Oak Island and Holden Beach.

Wilmington is a good option too, great downtown on a riverfront, and a decent mall and shopping.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-21-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 12:00 PM

I'll have to look a little more into Delaware and the schools.

I think moving back to MD's eastern shore would be the most comfortable move for us, since we've lived there and know what to expect. But it is very rural and jobs are a concern.

Looking at NC a little bit, Wilmington certainly seems to have the better schools and some affordable houses. Thanks for that tidbit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.