Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:19 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
^^They hate us cuz they aint us.
Yup.
You hit right on the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
Hey, I make my living depending on those people who want to live here, so don't knock them, okay? First off you have to admit Florida has a marvelous climate compared to some other regions of the country. I grew up in Michigan so I know this first-hand. Then too, I've lived in states where the economy is in the tank and there are no jobs to be had that you would want to have, and only take them to survive. Michigan and Alabama come immediately to mind.

Florida has a vital economy, thousands of beautiful peaceful affluent neighborhoods, gorgeous beaches, the best roads anywhere, and lots of things to do. At the end of the day, when all is considered, not to put too fine a point on it, they all want to live here because nobody wants to be old and cold up there!
Who is they?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Why do people dislike Florida? Because outside of a few small areas it's not a real place. Meaning, historic, cultural, architectural etc. It's kinda purpose-built and marketed for 2 groups - tourists and retirees. I like being there - for a week. But beyond that, the schools and cultural amenities and intellectual climate don't really compare with many of the major metros in the North. The largest city, Miami, was barely a blip on the map 50 years ago. And the whole state is flat as a pancake. It's like something built in a 1960's lab of 'Americans meets the Tropics.'

I appreciate Florida greatly - it adds a diversity to the US not seen anywhere else. But it's a one trick pony and the Florida cheerleaders (almost ALWAYS over 55) make it seem like some kind of paradise. Sure if you like strip malls, flat featureless beaches and don't need culture or good schools.
Yes I've noticed that too. It's the older folk who talk it up more.
It is what it is.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 AM

185 posts, read 174,123 times
There is not a single thing about that state that is attractive to me .

Hot sticky oppressive humidity cespool , traffic , tourist , college spring break , endless screaming little kids ( Orlando ) flat and ugly state . Zero beautiful landscape to it , nothing to hike , climb or do outdoors . And don't say swimming or kayaking because you can do that anywhere . All the bugs and animals down there , illegals .

But but but we don't have winter , nobody cares grow a pair and throw a coat on . Bye
And yes I am bashing Florida . You could not pay me to live there let alone voluntarily doing so

Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I'm not a diehard Florida backer by any means... But you must admit on the variety of bodies of water around the state to do things in, it's impressive, springs, lakes, ocean, gulf, etc. Also, it's the only state in the lower 48 (well, maybe South Texas also, where there really isn't a season where it's too cold to go in the water, unless we're talking about the panhandle.

I don't like the hot stretches either, and flatness, and I do eventually want to get out, but honestly, I think a good number of things you listed are stereotypes that literally no FL residents worry about on a regular basis. It's not for everyone, but some will like it, and it does have its good qualities. Let's be fair here lol.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 AM

102 posts, read 129,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Same here as well as many folks out west.
Yeah, I'm from the west coast and haven't met anyone that has wanted to move to Florida. It must be a regional thing.

I'm not bashing Florida, I've never been so I can't say anything either way about it, just that I've not known anyone that has wanted to move there.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:19 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered_by_Espresso View Post
Yeah, I'm from the west coast and haven't met anyone that has wanted to move to Florida. It must be a regional thing.

I'm not bashing Florida, I've never been so I can't say anything either way about it, just that I've not known anyone that has wanted to move there.
It's a Northeast and Midwest thing, and even then, an older demographic. If you go down there it feels like Boston/Chicago/NYC suburbs, same people, same strip mall tenants, same attitudes.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered_by_Espresso View Post

I don't even hear people bring Florida up, period. This thread seemed odd.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:08 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Hmmmm.........its interesting that you guys are mentioning that its primarily older people.

This seems to be different than my experience as (the basis for my OP) is that it seems to be young people (20's and 30's) who seem to think this.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
I think you have a small group of (let me guess, wealthier, whiter, Northeasterns) acquaintances that all love FL as you are extrapolating out to 'everyone.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.