Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times

Advertisements

Which downtowns do we think have the most buildings? Umm...wow....have you ever heard of emporis.com? They tell you all the buildings concentrated in downtowns around the city. You can pretend a place like Columbia, South Carolina has more buildings than NYC but are you correct? No? Try searching something called google and i think you'll find starting this thread was a waste of your time and energy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Seattle
4. San Francisco
5. Miami
6. Los Angeles
7. Boston
8. Philadelphia
9. Houston
10. Dallas

Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Personally I think that San Francisco has a small downtown, yes it has a huge sky-line, but that makes up most of it. In practically every other major city the downtown extends for some distance beyond the financial district.
This is not the first time that an outsider incorrectly stated on CD that DT SF is only the Financial District. I dont know why?

Downtown San Francisco is comprised of:
The Financial District
SOMA
Union Square
Civic Center
Part of the Waterfront
Part of North Beach
Part of Chinatown
Part of the Tenderloin

And the seamless transition between Downtown and the neighborhoods is better in SF than probably anywhere. No industrial areas or train tracks or freeways or rivers separate DT SF from the outer districts.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Seattle's downtown area is actually relatively compact, but it looks and feels big because of the density and tallness.

BTW - a good tool to illustrate the relative size of cities' downtown areas is Live Virtual Earth.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I just came across these from Chicago. I've worked downtown for 6 years, but sometimes even I see shots from random angles that make it look so damn massive.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
DC's downtown is pretty large and dense. With no skyscrapers, DC is #3 behind NY & Chicago in commercial office space.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 PM

102 posts, read 472,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Are you an Arab Immigrant? Not trying to be racist or smart...but I've noticed your english is slightly off,and perhaps your a foreigner...I said Arab because your name is Jordam, close to Jordan... OR where are you from?
1)NYC
2)Chicago
3)Miami
4)Seattle
5)Houston
6)Dallas
7)Los Angeles
8)Philly
9)Boston
10)San Francisco
It may be off, as some of you should know that Density may look some skylines look smaller or bigger.
how did miami beat seattle, i'll never know?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Seattle's downtown area is actually relatively compact, but it looks and feels big because of the density and tallness.

BTW - a good tool to illustrate the relative size of cities' downtown areas is Live Virtual Earth.
that and google earth.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Which downtowns do we think have the most buildings? Umm...wow....have you ever heard of emporis.com? They tell you all the buildings concentrated in downtowns around the city. You can pretend a place like Columbia, South Carolina has more buildings than NYC but are you correct? No? Try searching something called google and i think you'll find starting this thread was a waste of your time and energy
well mr. smart ass i know of emporis but I came here so I can see what other people think not what computer statistics say.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
well mr. smart ass i know of emporis but I came here so I can see what other people think not what computer statistics say.
Yep...and emporis isn't exactly known for its accuracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.