Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,405 times

Advertisements

I have moved around quite a bit in the past 3 years and can't seem to find a place I like. I know this has more to do with me than probably the places I live but none the less it's annoying.
I used to live in northern CA and couldn't wait to get out of CA for various reasons I now appreciate what I had but am not willing to go back, I have lived in 2 other states since moving from CA but have not found an area that I am happy with.
Obviously moving is very costly and we cannot afford to do so every year or two, so what is your advice? stay where I am and suck it up? or explore some more?
And also have you felt this way yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
I'm pretty content with where I live, but I've never lived anywhere else, so that may be part of the reason why.

If you own your home, with the way the housing market is, I would stick it out for a while. But if you're really miserable do what makes you happy.

If you have the money, could you travel to visit cities you might want to move to? Obviously, just vacationing there won't tell you everything about the city, but it may give you an idea.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM

791 posts, read 2,959,405 times
I would love to sample the cities/towns I am interested in for 6 month but that is a bit of a dream world, LOL - that's where winning the lotto comes in :-)

Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I have moved around quite a bit in the past 3 years and can't seem to find a place I like. I know this has more to do with me than probably the places I live but none the less it's annoying.
I used to live in northern CA and couldn't wait to get out of CA for various reasons I now appreciate what I had but am not willing to go back, I have lived in 2 other states since moving from CA but have not found an area that I am happy with.
Obviously moving is very costly and we cannot afford to do so every year or two, so what is your advice? stay where I am and suck it up? or explore some more?
I know what you mean. If you are younger it may be you just have a desire to explore, and aren't ready to put down roots in one place yet. I'd also suggest looking at your career, relationship, hobbies, etc to see if maybe there is something there that is not satisfying to you that maybe you are placing the blame on the area.
I've moved around quite a bit in last 10 years, and haven't felt "whole" with anywhere we've went either. Maybe because none of the areas had what is really important to me so felt temporary. Fun for awhile, but not for long term. For me, I miss being around my family, and everywhere we've lived has been in another state. So, I can't really feel 100% about any area because of that.
I'd say look at what you like to do. If you like to fish or go boating, yet live in the desert that may not be the best place for you. Maybe make a list of what is important top you personally, and rank where you are at verses other areas to find the best fit.
Good luck to you.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
I agree with the last poster. I also, even now, tend to romanticize other places. I was all set to make a major move this year to a place I like a lot, but when it fell through, I looked at where I have been for the past 35 years with new eyes and don't believe, after all, that anyplace would be better for what I want.

However, I believe when you're young if you can try different places, do so. I believe we all end up where we want to be. A friend of mine had wanderlust for years until he was about 55. He also had to have a different car - never seemed satisfied or got bored easily. That has all changed.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:39 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,412 times
I moved around a lot until I realized that whatever bothered me about a place had more to do with me than with the place. I didn't feel satisfied or settled, so nowhere would be right.

After lots of thought, I decided on my priorities - close to my family, a progressive state with quality public education, a vibrant city with reasonable cost of living, a place where I already have some friends/acquaintances - set my sights, and moved there.

I've been in Minneapolis for almost six months and have never once thought about moving or wondered what I'm doing here. That's a first!!

Figure out what you want and then choose the place that meets it.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
I moved around a lot until I realized that whatever bothered me about a place had more to do with me than with the place. I didn't feel satisfied or settled, so nowhere would be right.

After lots of thought, I decided on my priorities - close to my family, a progressive state with quality public education, a vibrant city with reasonable cost of living, a place where I already have some friends/acquaintances - set my sights, and moved there.

I've been in Minneapolis for almost six months and have never once thought about moving or wondered what I'm doing here. That's a first!!

Figure out what you want and then choose the place that meets it.
That is extremely well said. I agree 100%.
I have not felt "settled" since I left my home state 10 years ago, though I've enjoyed living in Tucson AZ, La Quinta and Irvine CA. I miss riding horses, and going fishing and barbeques with my sisters, and all that stuff.
A person needs to do what is important to them, whatever that may be.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 AM

11 posts, read 29,326 times
Default I Feel You!

I've been pulling my hair out for years to try and find a new place to live. I originally came from CA to Minneapolis when I was 14 on a very strange circumstance and ended up being rooted here as life went on. I'm now 44. I have a couple relatives still in Southern CA but have no desire to live there as it's too crowded and expensive. I've done all the lists, blah, blah, blah that others suggest but while finding some of the things I want in a place, affordability, near water, (ocean) and or mountains, a little culture, there's things that don't work for me such as unaffordability, hurricanes, no water or mountains, lack of viable employment opportunities, low IQ in the masses/lack of culture, etc. I'd like some place a little smaller than Mpls. Mpls. was a nice, small city when I moved here but is quite large now. There are a lot of book smart people here and it's rather homogenous compared to other cities.

My boyfriend and I have been taking week long trips to various places we've been considering as others suggest and though it's not the same as living there, we did get a huge sense of what it might be like, such as VA. The civil war and bible belt qualities seemed to be very alive and well and we knew that wouldn't be a spot for us but we were glad we checked it out anyway. That's about the only way I've been able to afford trying to find my right place.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Uhh yea
If you can,do some more researching into what you're looking for in an area. There are many resources available on the internet.
Personally if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't take a chance on ending up 'Stuck' somewhere that you might really hate!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Here's some St. Louis pictures. Obviously, no city is right for everybody, but the pictures are still nice to look at. Urban St. Louis - View Forum - Photography - Showcase St. Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.