Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:53 AM

9 posts, read 8,769 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I'm a newly single 30 year old male looking to move. I would love to live somewhere that I could ride my motorcycle year round as my sole mode of transportation. Somewhere that doesn't get too cold and has a relaxed vibe where everyone isn't trying to one up each other or worried about "keeping up with the joneses." Ideally has a live and let live attitude. A studio apartment or one bedroom apartment would be Ideal. I'm not into clubs or bars and am mostly a homebody. When I am out it's usually doing what I love most and that is riding a motorcycle.

The cities I am looking into: (never been to any of these)

Tucson: Seems to have a low cost of living and great weather. I've read the roads aren't in the best shape or laid out for getting around easily. As a motorcyclist, it would suck to have to sit waiting in traffic for too long during the hotter times of the year.

El Paso: Like Tucson, seems to also have great weather. I know it has a very large spanish speaking population which I have no problem with but I don't understand a word of it. Also I understand fort bliss is located there which is a bit of a turn off to me. I spent some time in the army and don't have any desire to be around that culture again. No state income tax sounds good to me.

Albuquerque: As I understand, has mild winters but gets a bit of snow which I wouldn't mind at all if it's not enough to keep me off the road for more than a week or two. Summer weather sounds perfect.

Las Vegas: I get the impression it might be too hectic of a place for me. No income tax and legalized marijuana are a good thing imo. I worry it might be too hot in the summer.

Reno: Like Vegas, legalized marijuana and no state income tax. I think it may get too much snow and be too cold for me but I could be wrong. There is something appealing to me about it's smaller size and population than the other cities.

Phoenix: I feel Phoenix is probably too big, too hot, and too conservative for me. I Haven't read anything about it that would sway me towards it over the other cities honestly.

So yeah, if anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them. Thanks for taking the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
And how about Southern California? The reason I suggest it, aside from the weather and legal weed, is that lane-splitting is legal out there!

Which I discovered the hard way when I almost hit a motorcyclist once while switching lanes.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
And how about Southern California? The reason I suggest it, aside from the weather and legal weed, is that lane-splitting is legal out there!

Which I discovered the hard way when I almost hit a motorcyclist once while switching lanes.
Motorcycle culture is huge in SoCal. The Hell's Angels' original chapter is in Fontana (IE/LA Area)

Old 02-01-2017, 04:44 PM

Hmmm I guess I always associated everywhere in California with a high cost of living and high taxes. I've never been to Cali maybe I should look into some areas there as well.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 AM

I think I'm decided on either Tucson or Albuquerque. Las Cruces sounds nice too but I just worry about being able to find work in the smaller city...

Can anyone tell me how the social vibe differs between Tucson and Albuquerque? Which would you say is the more laid back city with a "live and let live" attitude? Also something that struck me as odd...I was looking at grubhubs website (food delivery) and noticed that Albuquerque has less than half of the restaurants to order from at 25 than tucson does at 51. Seeing as Albuquerque has a higher more dense population that struck me as odd. Can anyone explain that?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc_86 View Post
Greetings. I'm a newly single 30 year old male looking to move. I would love to live somewhere that I could ride my motorcycle year round as my sole mode of transportation.
Miami, North Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, Davie, Florida. Did it for over 5 years...

Quote:
Albuquerque: As I understand, has mild winters but gets a bit of snow which I wouldn't mind at all if it's not enough to keep me off the road for more than a week or two. Summer weather sounds perfect.
I currently live in the Albuquerque area, rode a motorcycle for about five years for pleasure. Maybe 3 or 4 days a year (I'm guessing) you won't be able to ride... But it really depends on where you are driving to. For example, generally the east side of ABQ, near Sandia Mountain, tends to get more snow/ice than the west side.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-02-2017 at 12:22 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
Quote:
I think I'm decided on either Tucson or Albuquerque. Las Cruces sounds nice too but I just worry about being able to find work in the smaller city...

Can anyone tell me how the social vibe differs between Tucson and Albuquerque? Which would you say is the more laid back city with a "live and let live" attitude? Also something that struck me as odd...I was looking at grubhubs website (food delivery) and noticed that Albuquerque has less than half of the restaurants to order from at 25 than tucson does at 51. Seeing as Albuquerque has a higher more dense population that struck me as odd. Can anyone explain that?
GrubHub shows me 45 restaurants to order from in Albuquerque when I don't filter for ones that are open right now, so you probably checked at a time of day that some restaurants were closed. I order through GrubHub all the time and I really like it.

Tucson is actually bigger than Albuquerque by about 110,000 more people in its metro area. Albuquerque is bigger within city limits only. I think they each have densities more or less on par with each other. I certainly don't think the differences would be akin to New York City and Oklahoma City in terms of density.

I also wouldn't worry too much about snow in Albuquerque. It's rare for it to snow in amounts that would stick around much more than 2-3 days, nevermind weeks. Most of the time it snows less than 3 inches over the majority of the city and this amount is usually gone by the afternoon when the sun comes out. It's rare that it ever snows much more than that in a single system, except in the Foothills areas of the city and the East Mountain suburbs.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
GrubHub shows me 45 restaurants to order from in Albuquerque when I don't filter for ones that are open right now, so you probably checked at a time of day that some restaurants were closed. I order through GrubHub all the time and I really like it.

Tucson is actually bigger than Albuquerque by about 110,000 more people in its metro area. Albuquerque is bigger within city limits only. I think they each have densities more or less on par with each other. I certainly don't think the differences would be akin to New York City and Oklahoma City in terms of density.

I also wouldn't worry too much about snow in Albuquerque. It's rare for it to snow in amounts that would stick around much more than 2-3 days, nevermind weeks. Most of the time it snows less than 3 inches over the majority of the city and this amount is usually gone by the afternoon when the sun comes out. It's rare that it ever snows much more than that in a single system, except in the Foothills areas of the city and the East Mountain suburbs.
Makes sense. Thanks for the info

Old 02-03-2017, 08:23 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,391,991 times
Lived in El Paso and I think it has the best weather in the US. The summers are not too hot, its very sunny and you only get a small taste of winter. Ft. Bliss is not felt if you live in the west side of town. Cost of living is good and there's wide open desert to ride with very little traffic once you live the metro area. El Paso is consistently rated as one the top safest places to live in the US.
El Paso is a friendly hometown not cosmopolitan which sounds like a good fit for you. Spanish is useful but not a must. The west side is also more "anglo". The neighborhood around UTEP (university area) Kerns Place has some nice older homes. There's quite of bit of development happening to make the city better.
I liked it when I lived there and found it pretty enjoyable and not discovered by the masses. It does suffer from a negative border city image but that is very unfair.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Lived in El Paso and I think it has the best weather in the US. The summers are not too hot, its very sunny and you only get a small taste of winter. Ft. Bliss is not felt if you live in the west side of town. Cost of living is good and there's wide open desert to ride with very little traffic once you live the metro area. El Paso is consistently rated as one the top safest places to live in the US.
El Paso is a friendly hometown not cosmopolitan which sounds like a good fit for you. Spanish is useful but not a must. The west side is also more "anglo". The neighborhood around UTEP (university area) Kerns Place has some nice older homes. There's quite of bit of development happening to make the city better.
I liked it when I lived there and found it pretty enjoyable and not discovered by the masses. It does suffer from a negative border city image but that is very unfair.
Well that doesn't sound too bad at all! I think It's down to Tucson, ABQ, and El paso...

I'm trying to find things that really differentiates the three. I think the thing I worry about the most with Tucson is the ability to get around with traffic and the road conditions. With ABQ, I worry it will be too cold at times and it seems to be the most violent of the three with most crime according to SperlingsBestPlaces. With El Paso, I worry about finding a partner. I wonder how much race and language will drop my chances. I have no problem at all with dating outside my race, but will a hispanic women go for an english only speaking gringo in El Paso?

I'm probably over thinking all of this. Maybe it's time to bust out a coin and get to flippin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.