Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:39 PM

187 posts, read 227,483 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be graduating with a bsn in may 2018. For my spring break, my mom and I want to check out potential areas to move to, this came up suddenly because we were going to do this in the summer but I got offered an internship.

She's a math teacher/administrator and she's leaving WHERE we move up to me with a couple conditions: it has to be south of NJ and she'd prefer a gated community - budget around $400,000 for a house.

I like Richmond. But we can't find a community.

I think Williamsburg is really nice looking, but nursing doesn't seem to be in demand. I also like a busier city area, and want to continue my education. The commute from Williamsburg to Richmond is only around an hour so it's not terrible though. I already commute 40-50 min for school and work now.

So I went back to checking out Florida..Tampa is in demand for nurses and has a school for DNP..
This will be silly but I think I'd really hate the thought of a giant spider crawling out of my toilet or tub though haha..or a snake.

I looked at Raleigh, NC and Athens, GA (no graduate nursing degrees offered at NC state uni or university of Georgia)

I could just do graduate school completely online.

I can't decide. My favorite things to do are hike with my dogs and just enjoy night life when I can. We really don't have close family besides us. I'd appreciate any suggestions My mom and I BOTH can't wait to move. (If I was just going by myself or with no restrictions I'd want to check out Cambridge but my mom just won't go north)

Thanks for reading and for any ideas to help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 03:32 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,230,139 times
I also would like a cheaper, warmer NYC. If such a place existed, I would've moved there years ago.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:41 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,191,215 times
Man you and your mom's desires are pretty mutually exclusive which makes this tough. There is no NYC of the south but none of the places you mentioned would even be in that conversation.

Ok, that said, FL definitely should be considered. Plenty of nursing opportunities and, honestly, we are the land of gated communities lol. $400k is definitely doable for a nice home in a gated community. Jax, Orlando, and Tampa will have plenty of options and pretty good nightlife (Jax offers the least but is most affordable) but none could ever be confused for a NYC-lite. Miami is a whole different beast but I actually would say it comes closest to having some tiny semblance of Manhattan.

I think Atlanta and Charlotte are also options. Atlanta you will be forced to deal with awful traffic. I like the in-town neighborhoods of Atlanta a lot but if you're working, seeking grad school opportunities, and living in a gated community, there's really no way around lots of traffic. Charlotte should be good but I don't know it well.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:52 PM

^^^ I was also going to suggest Florida. It has the warm weather and the nightlife scene that you want. At least Miami area does.

And Nursing is a really great career! Good luck!

Old 02-18-2017, 10:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,211,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
I looked at Raleigh, NC and Athens, GA (no graduate nursing degrees offered at NC state uni or university of Georgia)
When looking at Raleigh, you really have to consider the entire Triangle because it's one big metro. While NC State doesn't have the program, UNC and Duke do in Chapel Hill and Durham respectively. There's also Watts School of nursing in Durham but I am not sure if they have graduate programs.
That said, I doubt you'll find a gated community in your price range. Gated communities really aren't a big thing in the Raleigh area until you get into the monster home category.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:13 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,105,865 times
Atlanta is probably going to be your best option if looking for big city energy, gated communities and warmer weather. Emory University has one of the best MSN programs in the country (within one of the best hospitals in the country, Emory University Hospital) and there's also Georgia State University's program which is in Downtown Atlanta and would be a good choice for a big city hospital experience with clinical options at neighboring Grady Memorial Hospital.

MSN Programs | Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing | University | Atlanta GA
Home - School of Nursing and Health Professionals

Old 02-19-2017, 12:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,512,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I also would like a cheaper, warmer NYC. If such a place existed, I would've moved there years ago.
If even a warm NYC existed, it wouldn't be cheap!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If even a warm NYC existed, it wouldn't be cheap!
Good point.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:40 AM

187 posts, read 227,483 times
Thank you for all the replies! If you want to skip this please scroll down to the last paragraph

Haha yes I kinda realize that my thread title is wishing for an imaginary place I should clarify some more because I really can't decide where I should go still!

My mom said she would be willing to go outside of a gated community. She's said that before but I know she really wants the community, and where we live now she's active with the clubhouse, golf, games, etc.

Where we live now is in the pinelands of NJ. I think it's peaceful and beautiful but we both want more around us in terms of for me night life, parks, museums, and for her stores. Even though our community is all ages, there isn't a lot of people my age, like maybe 3. I used to live in north NJ and loved it, but in terms of taxes and things it's expensive. I don't mind cold and snow, my mom hates it though.

I really liked Raleigh the more I looked at it, but then I read an old thread about the flying roaches and things. So being in the pine lands, basically in the summer and fall we are attacked by flies. They lay eggs in my dogs (they're inside dogs) and I've pulled out larvae and had to go to vets to get the larvae out that were too big.

For my clinical rotation last week, I was in wound care. I can see and take many things. But I hate bugs. I hate when I want a nice hike (or just go around the block) in warm weather, my dogs can get 50 ticks each on them even when I use frontline. These are lone star ticks, these critters are the fastest species of tick and they run up to 2 miles to get to their meals. I've waken up at 4am to see a tick on my chest rush up to my face. I also hate those jumping crickets they call spider crickets. I'll take the chiggers over all of them.

Right so the title of my thread should be "I want a cheaper, warmer and bug free NYC!" I know, I know...I am joking around.

So one of my dogs died a little over a month ago. He was very loved. The reason I bring this up is that he needed to be outdoors for hours a day (some days I did hike for 5+ hours), he was a GSD with maybe Newfoundland was the best guess. (THAT was fun to check for ticks) I wanted another big furry love like him, but maybe I should put that off and just go to an area that would be the best for my career. My other dog even though a GSD can tolerate heat very good and she's older and not as active.

I'm sorry I'm writing so long, I'm sort of working it out as I write this!

May I have opinions on Tampa, FL vs Raleigh, NC vs Richmond, VA? My mom said she didn't think Atlanta would be good, because she read the crime rate is bad, worse than NYC??
To compare to what we like in terms of amenities and population, I love Princeton, Clifton, Montclair, and West Orange NJ. And working as a nurse and going for a MSN and DNP are important factors. UNC has a graduate nursing program that I want (psychiatric-mental health) and so does Tampa. Richmond does not, so I'd do online.

Thank you again.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,988,079 times
Philly is cheaper and slightly warmer than NYC, but not sure how warm you want. After that, I would suggest Atlanta, even though it's not as big as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.