Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:16 PM

749 posts, read 581,006 times

Advertisements

Having given up tentatively on moving to Denver area because of high competitive rents for a one bedroom,
I am undecided on my second or third choices: Tampa area or Nashville. Everyone warns about the harsh summer humidity and heat in Florida, but if it is the third largest state, millions find it okay. The beaches are the main draw. I don't need a job and will be going alone with a cat. I have looked over the Internet and have visited both places several times as tourist. I don't care much for the Appalachians.
The high rents (over $1000.) are the drawback because I need at least 850 sq feet and that limits where I can go. Both cities have apartment locator agents that are not so useful to me.
Anyone that can help me with experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 02:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
What do you need help with? You are familiar with both areas and prefer the beach over the mountains.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:11 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
You might also look at other coastal cities like Jacksonville and Savannah which could provide some nice options.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Having given up tentatively on moving to Denver area because of high competitive rents for a one bedroom,
I am undecided on my second or third choices: Tampa area or Nashville. Everyone warns about the harsh summer humidity and heat in Florida, but if it is the third largest state, millions find it okay. The beaches are the main draw. I don't need a job and will be going alone with a cat. I have looked over the Internet and have visited both places several times as tourist. I don't care much for the Appalachians.
The high rents (over $1000.) are the drawback because I need at least 850 sq feet and that limits where I can go. Both cities have apartment locator agents that are not so useful to me.
Anyone that can help me with experience?

Personally I don't find Florida's humidity to be that big of a deal but others despise it. Everywhere inside is aggressively air conditioned and a lot of homes have pools that you can use year round for the most part. I rather be at the beach in Florida during the summer than urban areas up north, like D.C., which are also miserable with humidity.

In terms of expense it probably depends on the specific area of each metro area. My impression is that Nashville is also growing rapidly and that rents are on the upswing.

Best of luck.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 AM

44 posts, read 50,903 times
Depends on what you're more into I guess. I live in St. Pete and grew up a few hours north of Nashville. As soon as I can get out of the Tampa area I am.

Without knowing your specifics:

St Pete: Very walk-able downtown with nice views, beaches, warm weather 11.5 months out of the year, rent is getting very high and keeps going up, people are in general on this side of the bay more relaxed, Hispanic culture influence, more diverse, and close to other FL cities. No state income tax but if you don't need a job not sure if that matters.

Nashville: Country music downtown and it plays the part, hills aren't far, mountains aren't far, mammoth cave isn't far, COL might be a little better, lot of good people, closer to a lot of outdoorsy hikes, seasons (could be a plus, maybe not).

I personally would go with Nashville, but thats just my opinion if I were making the choice.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJCtheRipperxX View Post
Depends on what you're more into I guess. I live in St. Pete and grew up a few hours north of Nashville. As soon as I can get out of the Tampa area I am.

Without knowing your specifics:

St Pete: Very walk-able downtown with nice views, beaches, warm weather 11.5 months out of the year, rent is getting very high and keeps going up, people are in general on this side of the bay more relaxed, Hispanic culture influence, more diverse, and close to other FL cities. No state income tax but if you don't need a job not sure if that matters.

Nashville: Country music downtown and it plays the part, hills aren't far, mountains aren't far, mammoth cave isn't far, COL might be a little better, lot of good people, closer to a lot of outdoorsy hikes, seasons (could be a plus, maybe not).

Nice analysis of St Pete in my opinion except for the cost of living aspect which is reversed with Nashville. Nashville is considerably higher in terms of rental housing and outpacing St Pete by a considerable margin..

Nashville Average Rent. As of February 2017, average apartment rent within the city of of Nashville, TN is $1420. One bedroom apartments in Nashville rent for $1249 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $1554.

St. Petersburg Average Rent. As of February 2017, average apartment rent within the city of of St. Petersburg, FL is $1181. One bedroom apartments in St. Petersburg rent for $1035 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $1258.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Nashville isn't in the Appalachians.

IMO, if rent prices are a big factor, St. Petersburg wins hands down. I just casually browsed Trulia for a few minutes and saw plenty of 1BR units in the north parts of St. Petersburg (better side of town) for under $800, and some 2 BR under $1,000. It is hard to find anything in urban Nashville for under $1,000 - the hip neighborhoods, far more.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 PM

749 posts, read 581,006 times
Thanks for answers. I know Nashville is not in Appalacians because I have been to both and I didn't care for the Smoky mountains. Prefer Rockies.

Yes, MONEY is the key factor in the long run. I wonder which city is more culturally sophisticated?
I mean, good live theatre, classical music, book stores, arts? Maybe neither one.

It would be ironic for me to move to the state with the lowest sea level when I was planning to move to Denver with one of the highest elevations.

Florida is like a mediocre grade: both are below C (sea) level. LOL

Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I'm a native Tennessean and have probably been to Nashville ten times in the past two years. I've been to St. Pete a few times on vacation.

IMO, one thing that sticks out about St. Pete coming from Tampa are all the trailers and rundown houses you see from the interstate. I realize that's not the whole town and have driven a good bit there myself, but it's an eyesore. You really don't see anything that ugly around Nashville's major highways.

Both have booming, expensive downtowns with lots of construction going on, though obviously St. Pete alone is smaller than Nashville. The whole Tampa Bay area is larger than Nashville. That's not even including Orlando's attractions that are fairly close by, closer than any other major city is to Nashville. Traffic is likely to be worse in Tampa Bay - especially if you have to commute between St. Pete and Tampa.

If you're looking to avoid winter, Nashville isn't it. Nashville has grey winters, not much snow, but it's not sunny in the winter. December - March are pretty much "dead," with brown grass, no leaves on trees, etc. I'm in east TN and just moved back here from Indianapolis - we get a little less snow, it greens up a couple weeks earlier, etc., but honestly, it's not much different than up north.

I really don't get the Nashville hype at all. The suburbs are lovely, but $$$. Urban neighborhoods in Nashville that were affordable ten years ago have seen prices zoom past even cities like Chicago - some areas are approaching Seattle prices. The downtown is a bit difficult to get around - going to events in downtown Indy seems much easier than in Nashville. Ten years ago, it was a fun city, but a lot of what was charming or cool about it has been demolished/displaced to make way for the boom times.

I would choose the Tampa Bay area any time over Nashville.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, one thing that sticks out about St. Pete coming from Tampa are all the trailers and rundown houses you see from the interstate. I realize that's not the whole town and have driven a good bit there myself, but it's an eyesore. You really don't see anything that ugly around Nashville's major highways.
There aren't any trailers in St Pete and would love to hear clarification of where all the "rundown houses" are seen from I-275 on your drive in from Tampa as pretty much all of NE St Pete is middle class or better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.