Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 7,627 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving in three semesters when I become a registered nurse so bare with me that I've made a couple post and threads about the same topic I just really want to make the right decision when it comes to moving and I need to get on board with where I am going to move to so I can figure out my living situation and get a job lined up. I currently reside in the Midwest and I absolutely hate it there's not much to do here and I hate the weather it's currently cloudy and 30° with snow tonight. I have seasonal depression and I really prefer a sunnier climate . If I could go anywhere I would choose Hawaii I love the tropical region but realistically that's not an option South Florida has a tropical climate that I like and I really like Florida's beaches and weather overall but every time I visit Florida it just has that lack of Southern charm and that home appeal. So I've narrowed it down between south snd north Carolina. I used to live in South Carolina and if I were to move back it would probably be Charleston. But I'm also considering coastal North Carolina. Which has more sunshine? Warmer winter days? Or is it the same ? Humidity doesn't bother me . Southern charm and hospitality? I enjoy laying on the beach, salt water fishing and hiking . Which has more job opps for RNs ? And easier to get a job as a new grad ? Dating scene? Social scene ? Etc which do you like better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Charleston's warmer than the NC beaches by a little bit in Winter. Good health care assets in Charleston with 3 hospitals (St. Francis, Roper, and Medical University of SC). I'd pick Charleston if I were you. Good luck. Super-good area!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:24 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Charleston would be your best bet I think. But I'd also put Savannah, GA on your list for consideration.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
I agree with charleston or maybe wilmington nc or hilton head sc or even savannah., wilmington has a big hospital there. most of north carolinas beach towns are very small and probably not much in terms of high paying hospital jobs. I have heard parts of myrtle beach are a little sketchy but most of it is nice , I would just send out resumes and see who bites ,you arent going to go wrong with any of those towns,

Old 04-08-2016, 01:47 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I prefer Savannah to Charleston, personally. Mostly a matter of taste. Wilmington NC has some appeal.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:08 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I prefer Savannah to Charleston, personally. Mostly a matter of taste. Wilmington NC has some appeal.
As the home of the Medical University of SC, Charleston would definitely have the most job opportunities for RNs, which is one of the OP's criteria. Other than that, a lot of the other criteria is subjective.

For me, the list would go:

1) Charleston
2) Savannah
3) Wilmington

That's pretty much it. Wouldn't really consider Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head/Beaufort.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Charleston and Augusta have the highest wages for RNs in the Carolinas so thats something to consider.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 AM

27,220 posts, read 43,942,133 times
If you're looking at SC I would heavily urge you to consider a bit further south in Jacksonville FL which has a friendly Southern feel as well, less severe winters, a low cost of living and a booming healthcare industry with lots of options for RNs including the world-famous Mayo Clinic, University of Florida-Shands Hospital and the massive Baptist Medical Center. The north side in particular in/around Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island feels every bit like someplace in GA or SC and is a fairly easy commute to Mayo and UF-Shands.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:14 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Yeah for better or worse, Jax is very southern feeling. By far the most southern of the Florida big cities. In your case I guess for the better.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:20 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
if u are moving w/o a job lined up first which is pretty risky, i would go to either Jacksonville FL or Hampton Roads because they are bigger job markets but have the beach. In Hampton Roads, Williamsburg Virginia just north of Newport News has that old school south feel, but there are several cities there to pick from that I am less familiar with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.