Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:05 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Some are fortunate to live where they choose others have no option but for the most part climate is a major
Factor in relocation for most people .
So with that said , defend your climate . What do you love or hate ? What stereotypes aren't true ? Sell your cities weather

I'm in upstate ny .
Surrounded by mountains and lakes I love our weather overall
Winter can be brutal , -40 degree wind chill often , long artic air snaps .
But you truly do get use to it and living here my whole life it's nothing to me at this point . I don't own a winter coat and I work outside . I'm compfortable in a hoody and under armor . Plus I find enjoying winter sports helps deal with it . I think you would be pretty misreble sitting inside all winter ; however I picked up snowboarding and snowmobiling .
Nothing beats some mountains views and alpine forests covered in thick snow cover

Spring and fall are simply perfect . Nice warm days , chilly
Nights .

Summer historically is humid and hot for a few weeks in August and September but the last few years specifically last year our summers were near perfect . 60s almost every day with no humidity and a nice breeze
I'm upstate also. You can have it, and I'm not defending it.
I'm at an age where, with degenerative disc disease, cold and wet weather of any kinds aches my bones to the core.

I can handle somewhat the Gray pair that settles in in winter, but I've grown to detest snow and having to deal with its removal. It hurts my back to much.

The bitter cold I now hate, I used to not mind it as it usually meant less snow, but now it affects my asthma and the bitter cold bothers my bones.

Summer is and always been my favorite

Spring is always iffy. This year Easter is,April 1, so I have some mild hope for early spring, as usually the earlier it is the earlier spring is, the later Easter is the later spring is. But at least spring gives me hope for warmer days ahead.

My birthday is in the fall and I always hated when it comes, it means that colder weather is definitely setting in and winter is on its way. My OH s birthday is in April, I look forward to that as it means warmer weather is coming.

I don't mind the heat and humidity, at least I can take clothes off and wear easy on shorts and shirt sleeve shirts and flip flops.

Some times in winter no matter how many layers I wear until I can't move around in them I can't get warm enough. My feet are actually like Ice cubes from Nov to may, so I need to keep them bundled up sometimes in two pairs of socks or more. I cant ever be out of shoes or slippers. Ive been known to wear my fuzzy lined slippers to bed!

As soon as my 90 year old FIL passes we are out of here for warmer climes. At least for the colder months, then when my father passes, we are permanently out of here, selling everything here.

I never did lije winter sports. I can't keep balance on Ice skates, I'll be damned if I'm going to trust my life to two waxed boards under my feet going down a steep hill, ditto for snowboarding . There definitely no fun in making snow men or snow forts any more, that's looooong time passed since that was fun. And I never did lije snowball fights.

Nope snow and bitter cold is just a huge inconvenience I have to deal with.

I'll be glad to be outta here and warm, is rather hear the ka-ching of air conditioner running instead of ka-chibg of the furnace constantly running for 6 months out of the year. Don't always need to turn on the A.C. but the furnace definitely has,to run.

Soon, soon I hope .... Will be much much happier.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:49 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Years ago the Places Rated Almanac gave Atlanta one of the highest climate rankings outside the West Coast, and I think that assessment is highly valid. Winters are on the cool side but generally moderate, and while summers are warm and humid, they are not extreme and temperatures are below 90 degrees as often as above that level. Spring and fall are beautiful much of the time, with October being our best month on average with sunny and pleasantly mild conditions. We are far enough from the Gulf and Atlantic that tropical weather systems have usually weakened significantly before impacting the area, and far enough south that winter snowfall is usually minimal.

The climate here is similar to other upper Southeast cities, but Atlanta has a lower incidence of tornadoes than places further west and is a bit less susceptible to prolonged cloudy conditions than parts of the Piedmont to the northeast. The slightly higher altitude (about 1000 ft) and abundant tree cover also take the edge off the summers. The traffic here is a mess, but the climate is not a bad quality of the area.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
In my ideal climate, I should be able to go cross country skiing out my back door at least a few weeks of the year. Thus, San Diego's climate blows.

I hear the summers are pleasantly mild by the coast, though. So it is not all bad, I suppose :-)

Old 01-28-2018, 02:26 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
D.C. If you like 4 season, but don't like temperature extremes. It might work for you.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
Indio, CA (both hometown and current residence)

Pros: Year-round warm weather, especially during the winter (hence, a desert). Winter days here are clear, warm, and sunny, which is awesome! No below-freezing temps, no blizzards, not much in the way of rainy days (though I don't mind it), nothing. Just pure warmth and plenty of sunshine! As such, winters here are NOTHING compared to that in the Midwest, South, Northeast, or up in Oregon and Washington. Some winter nights, however, can actually be pretty chilly. There may be several nights where it could drop below freezing, but for the most part, things stay pretty mild and reasonable. Spring is warmer, but overall still great. Yes, we do sometimes get clouds in the sky, but not often.

Cons: Being in the low desert, summers here are absolutely brutal (regularly over 110-117°F, sometimes over 120°F)! But, like a lot of people say, it's a dry heat, so not much in the way of humidity in this part of CA. Some nights in the summer don't even drop much below 90°F. However, it's pretty ideal for relaxing in the pool or jacuzzi during that time of year! The only time in the summer where there is higher humidity is during the monsoon season (late July-early August). Early fall is still pretty hot, but eventually it definitely cools down by late fall.

Damn, do y'all really use hot tubs on hot nights like that? (Even in the South I never experienced a night that didn't get below 85) I mean pool I would totally do, I actually love swimming on a hot sultry night but jacuzzi? Do you mean with the heat off because geez! I was in Pasadena in November and we used the hotel's outdoor hot tub and it was nice but even with 60 degrees I eventually got too hot and had to step out of the water to cool down for a minute. Now a hot tub in a Minnesota winter, that is the life!

Old 01-28-2018, 08:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
This has possibly got to be the silliest topic I have ever seen posted on CD. Defend an entire climate? Why? I’m not responsible for it. It was already there when I moved here.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Boston is indefensible. The weather blows.

*At least we're not Buffalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.