Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 05:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
California is rated #1 overall with a poverty rate of 20.6%, according to Supplemental Poverty Measures. If you look at “official” poverty rates, California is tied for 17th, at 15%.

San Francisco Metro itself (SF, Hayward, Oakland), it’s estimated that 485K (people) lived below the poverty lines (2016), which would be 12%. So while SF may not be #1, California as a whole is. And of course, this doesn’t take into consideration the whole Bay Area (East, North, South, etc...). You start adding in Richmond, and places like that, those numbers go up without a doubt.

So maybe instead of singling out the Bay Area, I should change it to California as a whole
Ok? The Bay Area is by far and away the wealthiest part of the state, and nation for that matter, which includes some very poor areas. You can't look at CA's SUPPLEMENTAL poverty rate and apply that to the Bay Area.

Richmond is part of the SF Metro and the southern part of the Bay Area is even wealthier. There are 4.6 million people in the SF Metro so 485K being in poverty isn't that bad at all. The Bay Area CSA which includes the SF MSA, SJ MSA, Stockton, Vallejo, etc..and all the areas you're referring to has a 11.2% official poverty rate according to the census bureau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 05:55 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The San Francisco area could upzone 5% of its developed land and totally change the dynamic.

Let's say 25 square miles with a mix of scattered sites and larger nodes were upzoned. If they currently average 5,000 residents per square mile, moderate increases to just 25,000 per square mile would add housing for 500,000. With a high land supply and an easier development process, this could happen at substantially lower cost, which would allow it to compete with the existing supply and draw prices down a bit for everyone.
The thing I've never understood about the San Francisco Bay Area is why there's not serious upzoning in any of the many municipalities of the Bay Area. I can understand the idea of trying to preserve historic neighborhoods in some or much of San Francisco proper, but the Bay Area hosts many municipalities, many of them connected by transit and many of them having pretty forgettable histories and architecture and few in long-standing communities. What are the overarching reasons for why no municipalities upzone to take advantage of the large demand and build themselves into a large thriving city?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The thing I've never understood about the San Francisco Bay Area is why there's not serious upzoning in any of the many municipalities of the Bay Area. I can understand the idea of trying to preserve historic neighborhoods in some or much of San Francisco proper, but the Bay Area hosts many municipalities, many of them connected by transit and many of them having pretty forgettable histories and architecture and few in long-standing communities. What are the overarching reasons for why no municipalities upzone to take advantage of the large demand and build themselves into a large thriving city?
Why on earth would you think homeowners want their neighborhood "upzoned" and tore up to build more density?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why on earth would you think homeowners want their neighborhood "upzoned" and tore up to build more density?
Cash out and having actually something to do since Bay Area is sleepy af

Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Cash out and having actually something to do since Bay Area is sleepy af
Clearly you don't really understand the area since most homeowners are doing the opposite.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Clearly you don't really understand the area since most homeowners are doing the opposite.

No clearly I don't. It's great in some ways though, because it can eventually help drive people to other cities.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
Austin was the finest city in the Western World from 1965-1985 with a metropolitan population of 350,000. Austin has added a million metropolitan residents since, brutal on infrastructure. It's all about jobs, we have them...

Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Shucks. We had that happen just two years ago. We live in a very nice neighborhood that reliably makes the 50 Best Suburbs clickbait that comes around yearly on different websites. School system ranked in the top 100-200 in the country, too.

So when the people moved down the street from Connecticut, we all essentially showed up to say "Hello" and do the general Southern thing of bringing brownies, dropping off phone numbers, etc. etc.

The husband was nice enough, but the wife was literally complaining about our city and state from the minute we arrived. As in, "Well, I hope I'm going to like it here," was one of the first things she said. Mind you, they moved because the economy was sucking wind in Connecticut and their taxes were through the roof. And the town they came from, after I went home to check, has a pretty undistinguished school system. But it was this constant plaint on her part, wondering if we could possibly live up to the burg from which she hailed. Her husband has managed to acclimate really well. Heck, we've hauled him to a couple of college games. But she just basically whines about how we do it down here. That's the kind of person I'm talking about.
Okay that's on her though. I've met both native and transplant complainers, but that's all they do, complain then move on. Some people you cant please. If they want to make their own selves miserable then whatever. At least her husband tries to make the best of his time.

As long as she's not trying to run for mayor and jack up your taxes so she can build herself southern New Haven, I don't see the problem. Not all natives enjoy where they live either. I have native friends who complain. "It sucks here, I wanna go to Oregon." Well okay then go, it doesn't affect me.

You can't keep aiming at transplants, unless they're walking around in Patriots jerseys.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:

No clearly I don't. It's great in some ways though, because it can eventually help drive people to other cities.
Well there is only so much room in the Bay Area even for highly educated and high earning individuals which there are quite a lot of here. Glad we can help out other cities and Make America Great Again.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Well there is only so much room in the Bay Area even for highly educated and high earning individuals which there are quite a lot of here. Glad we can help out other cities and Make America Great Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.