Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 PM

12 posts, read 14,693 times

Advertisements

For anyone who's visited both the Upper South and the Lowland South have you noticed any difference in the cultures between the two or would you say its all one southern culture? I'm from a city in the deep south and have family in the country so I know the deep south pretty well. I know that the two definitely have a diverging history with the lower south being the home of the great plantations and the upper south being more Scots Irish and home to more Yeoman farmers than plantations but is there any noticeable difference outside say Appalachia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:28 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClovisMerovingian View Post
For anyone who's visited both the Upper South and the Lowland South have you noticed any difference in the cultures between the two or would you say its all one southern culture? I'm from a city in the deep south and have family in the country so I know the deep south pretty well. I know that the two definitely have a diverging history with the lower south being the home of the great plantations and the upper south being more Scots Irish and home to more Yeoman farmers than plantations but is there any noticeable difference outside say Appalachia?
Absolutely there are differences.

In my opinion, the main difference I notice is that the Lowland South holds social status as more important than the Upland South.

My running joke about where I work is that the less money you make, the nicer vehicle you drive. It seems like lots of people try to prove things by what shoes & clothes they wear and what they drive around here. Where I grew up on the Upland South/Lower Midwest border, people are generally more salt of the earth. They don't have fancy clothes and cars, sometimes even if they are wealthy. They grew up hearing stories about how their grandparents & great grandparents toughed it out through the depression & that still resonates with them. From my experience, those from the Upland South are more likely to hunt & grow their own food vs. those in the Deep South.

This stuff applies to rural areas. I'm not sure if there are differences in urban areas.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Demographics are a big difference. In the Deep South, you see Black folks in both the rural and urban areas. Black folks are definitely in the urban Upper South, but in the rural parts, it's quite different. That makes for some noticeable cultural differences when it comes to music, culture, food, etc.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:45 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Demographics are a big difference. In the Deep South, you see Black folks in both the rural and urban areas. Black folks are definitely in the urban Upper South, but in the rural parts, it's quite different. That makes for some noticeable cultural differences when it comes to music, culture, food, etc.

Agreed!!!

Old 03-02-2018, 11:54 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
When I think of the Upland South, the American Christian hymn, "Farther Along," immediately comes to mind. The Lowland South is more of a "Dwelling in Beulah Land" kind of place, IMO.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:55 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

In my opinion, the main difference I notice is that the Lowland South holds social status as more important than the Upland South.

My running joke about where I work is that the less money you make, the nicer vehicle you drive. It seems like lots of people try to prove things by what shoes & clothes they wear and what they drive around here. Where I grew up on the Upland South/Lower Midwest border, people are generally more salt of the earth. They don't have fancy clothes and cars, sometimes even if they are wealthy.
This has been my experience as well. Delta-South and Deep South people seem to be obsessed with class-structure to an odd degree. I'm not sure how to explain it.

It manifest as very much a "who's your deddy and what does he do for a living?" type of thing, and also a sort of desperate need to be perceived as having social status or wealth, or to "belong to the good ole boy's club", even if that just means getting to hunt ducks on private land.

Deep South culture seems more brash, loud and ostentatious, while Upland South culture tends to be the opposite. I thought of the difference while watching the scene in Ozark where Mr. Snell was telling the parable of the Hillbilly and Redneck go for a stroll...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8B-bNrOLj0

Old 03-05-2018, 04:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Deep South culture is blacker than Upper South culture.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
Deep South tend to be poorer and less educated than the Upper South. Deep South people tend to be a lot more friendly and well mannered as well. Deep South has a lot more blacks than the Upper South. These are general themes not always true but most people agree on.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

My running joke about where I work is that the less money you make, the nicer vehicle you drive. It seems like lots of people try to prove things by what shoes & clothes they wear and what they drive around here. Where I grew up on the Upland South/Lower Midwest border, people are generally more salt of the earth. They don't have fancy clothes and cars, sometimes even if they are wealthy. They grew up hearing stories about how their grandparents & great grandparents toughed it out through the depression & that still resonates with them. From my experience, those from the Upland South are more likely to hunt & grow their own food vs. those in the Deep South.

This stuff applies to rural areas. I'm not sure if there are differences in urban areas.
This may be true. Down here in the coastal South you have a lot of those beach redneck types walking around in Sperry Top-siders and wearing $300 Costa’s. And of coarse you need the $50k F-250 to complete the image.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Deep South culture is blacker than Upper South culture.

Deep South is Blacker in rural areas from slavery era and more Redneck alike IMO.. Plenty of Conservative Good ol Boy's in Politics as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.