Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 03:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

Game: Assign a city to these general characteristics and/or likes

I think it is second nature for human beings to analyze things and formulate their own opinions, in addition to providing input to help others.

So I think it would be cool to start a forum game where people give some general characteristics on what features or aspects they like in a city and allow someone else on the forum to chime in and suggest a city that they think is the closest to meeting that person's expectations.

There are no limits to the number of characteristics that you have to list, it could be as simple as one thing or as complex as a thousand things. Really, up to you to decide on how much you want to write anyways. To explain the rules for this thread, it is simple, someone will start the thread off by listing things they like and/or are looking for in a city, the next poster to respond in the thread will then suggest a city that they think would fit the person leaving the descriptions. Then after doing so, the person that suggested the city will leave a list of things that they want, like, or are searching for in a city and then another person will respond and do the same thing.

Hopefully that is clear and makes sense. Begin when you're ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Since I made the thread, the onus is really on me to get it started. So with that said, I will be going first.

Characteristics that I look for in a city:

- Oceanside (downtown itself has to be on a bay, gulf, sea, or ocean)

- High precipitation

- High volume of exotic bird species (particularly native but also migratory)

- Hot climate with zero trace of winter (or as close to zero as possible)

- A mix of ethnic groups (don't care what ethnic groups, just don't want a city that looks and feels like circa 1857 America is all)

- Vertical development and dense infill

- A good balance between pedestrian centric and car centric

- Mostly apathetic towards politics, with the exception for local politics that are necessary for school funding, infrastructure, and such.

I'll stop it right there, someone read into what I'm looking for and suggest a city that you think would be a fit for me. Then list stuff that you're looking for and let someone else take it from there (and so on and so on).

Old 03-10-2018, 05:16 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
Yours: Miami

Me: I’d like a town Newhart like out of a Rockwell painting and with a cute walkable downtown a few hours from a large city, maybe a tankful of gas away. Places to hike too and I like lots of forests, trees and lakes. I also like to be able to have 4 distinct seasons and snow is alright with me.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Yours: Miami

Me: I’d like a town Newhart like out of a Rockwell painting and with a cute walkable downtown a few hours from a large city, maybe a tankful of gas away. Places to hike too and I like lots of forests, trees and lakes. I also like to be able to have 4 distinct seasons and snow is alright with me.
Yours: Eureka Springs, Arkansas (Bet you didn’t expect that one).

I’d like a smallish town, in the mountains, with great local shops, restaurants, etc...Where the people are nice & friendly, with some hiking and lakes to paddle board on. A place with 4 seasons, and the availability to buy a lake house.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:55 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Yours: Eureka Springs, Arkansas (Bet you didn’t expect that one).

I’d like a smallish town, in the mountains, with great local shops, restaurants, etc...Where the people are nice & friendly, with some hiking and lakes to paddle board on. A place with 4 seasons, and the availability to buy a lake house.
Yours: Dahlonega, GA

I'd like a large city with convenient public transportation, low crime, advanced technology, and the people are polite/friendly.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:49 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Yours: Dahlonega, GA

I'd like a large city with convenient public transportation, low crime, advanced technology, and the people are polite/friendly.
Yours: San Jose, CA

I'd like a big city or metro area that LOVES reading books and learning and Doesn't Care too much for sports, church, or watching TV and doesn't have very snowy winters.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Yours: San Jose, CA

I'd like a big city or metro area that LOVES reading books and learning and Doesn't Care too much for sports, church, or watching TV and doesn't have very snowy winters.
Boulder, CA would fit perfect, but it’s not a “big city”, it’s is however close to Denver.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:04 PM

755 posts, read 570,639 times
A large suburb with good walkability and transit, not too much traffic, moderately diverse, shopping mall, downtown, good park system, at least 2 hrs from a major Northeastern or Western citiy

Old 03-12-2018, 07:18 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
A large suburb with good walkability and transit, not too much traffic, moderately diverse, shopping mall, downtown, good park system, at least 2 hrs from a major Northeastern or Western citiy
Newton, MA

Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Im looking for

A mix of all four seasons
A city with great Italian food
By the ocean, close to beaches and mountains.
Dense in the core, but moderatley dense suburbs
Strong Job Market
GOod area for tech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.