Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times

Advertisements

I am a 20 year old guy and when I finish college, I plan on moving somewhere out west. I am not interested in having kids at all, owning and taking care of multiple SUVs or soccer mom minivans, owning a big house, mowing a lawn, and maintaining a landscape. I am also not interested in renting an apartment for life, townhouse living, or dense living arrangements. Are there any places/neighborhoods in the US (the West preferably) where you can find small houses with very little amount of land? I live in New Jersey and New Jersey doesn't suit my preferences or my "alternative lifestyle". Stereotypically, NJ's population consists of familys of 3 kids, a dog, 3 or 4 SUVs or soccer mom minivans, and a NJ family owns a big house with a decent backyard. I am not into any of that stuff. I am more into an alternative lifestyle. I get married or have a girlfriend, but no kids, and no landscaping work. I would just use the little land as a garden if anything.

My brother said the benefit of living in the city for him is that you don't have to maintain a yard, however I am not a city person. I'd prefer a semi-rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 01:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Texas,Arizona, and New Mexico could work.....just be sure u get the mineral and water rights with the surface acreage.how many acres do you want?Most of the land and New Mexico and Aruizona is publically held but its the opossite in Texas.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
You can find that in any community. You just have to choose wisely. If you don't want to live with the soccer moms then don't live out in the suburbs.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Texas,Arizona, and New Mexico could work.....just be sure u get the mineral and water rights with the surface acreage.how many acres do you want?Most of the land and New Mexico and Aruizona is publically held but its the opossite in Texas.

Mineral and water rights?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
You can find that in any community. You just have to choose wisely. If you don't want to live with the soccer moms then don't live out in the suburbs.

The average New Jerseyan person is a family oriented person. People like me are the opposite. I am more into myself living an alternative lifestyle and being child free. Living in a semi-rural area sounds like a great idea though. Living somewhere metropolitan and too suburban is where you are going to find family oriented people. People who live in rural areas tend to either be family oriented or desolate. The best part about living in the city is that you have anonymity and you don't have to be family oriented. The problem with me is I am worried about finding young people in rural areas. The benefit of living in a neighborhood full of elderly people is that I don't have to deal with children.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:00 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
That in a rural area would be hard to come by, especially the further west you go.
In the midwest, you can find a small house on a small lot in a small enough town that rural is just a stone's throw away. They'll often be well taken care of, in good neighborhoods, and dirt cheap to boot. I'm particularly thinking upper midwest here for better chances at finding a nicer area,although good deals can be found in a lot of other places.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
That in a rural area would be hard to come by, especially the further west you go.
In the midwest, you can find a small house on a small lot in a small enough town that rural is just a stone's throw away. They'll often be well taken care of, in good neighborhoods, and dirt cheap to boot. I'm particularly thinking upper midwest here for better chances at finding a nicer area,although good deals can be found in a lot of other places.

Midwest is less desirable to live in and it is cheaper. My brother's field has more job opportunities in the Midwest and he refers to the Midwest as "The middle of the country where nobody wants to live". I don't have any desire to live in the Midwest or the East IMO. West is the best for me.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Rural means more space between neighbors, so the lots won't be small. But, as a thought - you could buy acreage, fence all of it except for a small patch around your house, and rent it out as pasture to someone. Maybe put a barn on it. And as part of their contract to use the pasture, they have to maintain the fence.

The animals won't be able to reach all of the areas outside the fence, as far as eating down the grass/weeds, but if you put the fence right at your property line, you might not have to deal with weed-wacking around the posts.

If you buy a house on a small lot in a small town, be prepared for nosy neighbors. Actually, any sparsely populated area will have nosy neighbors, but at least they shouldn't be able to sit on their porch and watch you all day lol.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
You gonna have to cut the grass. It won't kill you.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
If you mean you want a detached house on a very small plot of land, yes, that's doable, if you look in older neighborhoods in dense small towns. In general homes out west have much, much smaller plots of land than in the east.

Is something like this what you're looking for? Or do you mean more like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.