Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 PM

97 posts, read 64,280 times

Advertisements

nah, always liked humidity. good for the skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are so many delicate flowers seemingly that can't handle humidity, yet the fastest growing cities in the US are in areas where high humidity exists for much of the year. Ponder that...
It's because of air conditioning ... it makes things tolerable indoors. Believe me ... you never really get used to high humidity and steamy temperatures.

Some other factors, such as lower taxes, also come into play.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
I don't find humidity exciting. I can tolerate it, but it is gross and makes me crabby. A cold semi-arid climate seems to be best for me.

The only thing "exciting" about humidity is the severe thunderstorms that are common in the eastern Great Plains. We get storms where I live now, but it's not the same and usually just ends in a nasty hailstorm that makes us have to shovel (and sometimes break out the snow plows) and breaks our windows.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You know major storms exist outside of the south, right? You people try to claim everything.
Haha. All I said was that I missed the storms that I was used to (in the south) when I moved overseas (which was central Europe), where they do not generally have those big, spectacular storms I was used to and that I love. I never said or implied that no major storms exist anywhere else!

I really did miss those storms though - didn't even consider that aspect before we moved.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Haha. All I said was that I missed the storms that I was used to (in the south) when I moved overseas (which was central Europe), where they do not generally have those big, spectacular storms I was used to and that I love. I never said or implied that no major storms exist anywhere else!

I really did miss those storms though - didn't even consider that aspect before we moved.
Oh I know.

I do recall how tropical storms in particular had such a... distinct frequency of lightning. I think that's what stood out to me the most in Louisiana's weather. I remember one time going across the Atchafalaya and seeing three consecutive, very compact bolts hitting in the near distance. Just one after the other.

One thing I'll say about storms up here is that at the higher elevations the thunderheads are easier to see the sides of. Sometimes they make colors, especially at night. West/central NY sometimes gets the tail end of hurricane systems, and when they rolled in the lightning was occasionally orange or purple. It's very odd but extremely memorable.

I love daytime thunder storms in particular.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Oh I know.

I do recall how tropical storms in particular had such a... distinct frequency of lightning. I think that's what stood out to me the most in Louisiana's weather. I remember one time going across the Atchafalaya and seeing three consecutive, very compact bolts hitting in the near distance. Just one after the other.

One thing I'll say about storms up here is that at the higher elevations the thunderheads are easier to see the sides of. Sometimes they make colors, especially at night. West/central NY sometimes gets the tail end of hurricane systems, and when they rolled in the lightning was occasionally orange or purple. It's very odd but extremely memorable.

I love daytime thunder storms in particular.
That’s definitely one of the things I love about Denver and we don’t have humidity. Big thunderstorms roll through most afternoons during the monsoon season. They drop the temp 20 degrees and then blow out. We then get to open the house up all night and not use A/C. Something you cannot do in humid climates in the south.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:45 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I thought more humidity means more flowers can grow.

I think humid cities have tendencies to sprawl more is because there is obviously more water available. Deserts are less habitable and less sprawlable, which is probably why most of the state of Nevada is uninhabited outside of Las Vegas and Carson City areas.
This is a tangent, but why would you call it the Carson City area instead of the Reno area?

Old 09-02-2018, 01:05 PM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Humidity is good for my skin, and I do like even humid heat more than dry cold. But, of course, it has its downsides. Just the other day I was walking home and it was, of course, hot and muggy. It hit me then that it's *always* like that. I grew up in a drier climate and the odd muggy days would always stand out to you there, while here you at some point just stop thinking of it as a thing, it's just there. It does make you long for a nice, warm day where you nevertheless don't sweat all the time.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:57 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Humidity is good for my skin, and I do like even humid heat more than dry cold. But, of course, it has its downsides. Just the other day I was walking home and it was, of course, hot and muggy. It hit me then that it's *always* like that. I grew up in a drier climate and the odd muggy days would always stand out to you there, while here you at some point just stop thinking of it as a thing, it's just there. It does make you long for a nice, warm day where you nevertheless don't sweat all the time.
That's what I like about MN, where I live now. we do get 70+ dewpoints here most summers, but we get plenty of relief in summer days like today (Temp =73, dewpoint = 47.)

Old 09-06-2018, 01:13 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
This is a good point.

Since moving to Georgia, I haven't noticed much of a difference in the actual temps / humidity compared to up north (we'd get plenty if days with 90*F highs and 70*F dewpoints). It's really the sun angle being much higher, and the persistence of the high heat/humidity that makes all the difference.
As an Atlanta resident who was traveling in the Northeast and nearby parts of Canada recently, I would have to agree with this. Several days in the region were no different from typical summer conditions in the South, but the difference is that there were cooler, lower dewpoint days interspersed in between.

P.S. The posts claiming a preference for 100 degrees and 100% humidity are describing an unrealistic scenario, as this would imply a 100 degree dewpoint. Dewpoints seldom get much above 80 degrees anywhere, even in the most oppressively sweltering locations. Of course I realize the point is that a few people out there have an exceptional tolerance of hot, humid weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.