Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 4,004 times

Advertisements

I will soon finish my Law Degree having studied in the UK, I want to move to the united states and practise Law there, what state would be best for someone like me to move to and practise Law in ?

I have dual Polish and British citizenship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:54 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Vermont is the only state that universally recognizes foreign law degrees for admissions into the bar. I don’t understand why one would want to leave a developed nation immediately after having completed a law degree. I’m starting to doubt the sincerity of this thread.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Vermont is the only state that universally recognizes foreign law degrees for admissions into the bar. I don’t understand why one would want to leave a developed nation immediately after having completed a law degree. I’m starting to doubt the sincerity of this thread.
If i take the Bar Conversion Course my Law Degree will be valid for the State in which i took it in, foreign nationals can take the Bar Course. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to become an American citizen and to move there

Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Then you still need to find an employer willing and able to sponsor your visa unless you have funds allowing the investor rout or marriage.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:11 PM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
What kind of law do you want to practice? That would affect location. International law, the big cities, mostly near the coast or borders. Immigration law, big immigrant communities. And so on. General law? Could go anywhere you can get a job. How tough that will be depends on how good you are at the law and how good you are at marketing yourself.

You mght look at this list https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...an_populations
Start out in a big Northeast or Midwest city and then consider other options after you build up you work resume. I'd probably work a few years in UK or Europe before moving. Might be doubly hard to get a job with a foreign degree and no professional work experience.

I've run into a handful of threads where the poster wanted to do this. I don't know how many actual tried. I do recall one guy who had a very rough time. The only jobs he could get were with bad employers. But there are surely plenty of examples, good and bad. Google or find folks that did it and talk to them personally. This is one tale of disappointment https://www.vox.com/2015/6/23/882334...-system-broken

Do 100-500 hours of detailed research then decide whether to proceed & how.

Consider working for a company or firm that does business in US from abroad. Consider Canada too.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-03-2018 at 06:50 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 06:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I am thinking Chicago. With your Polish citizenship it might help with immigration law since Chicago has a huge Polish population and is a large city where opportunities would be greater than a smaller one. There are many large law firms there. You would have to be able to adjust to the weather which is very different from the UK.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:34 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios___ View Post
If i take the Bar Conversion Course my Law Degree will be valid for the State in which i took it in, foreign nationals can take the Bar Course. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to become an American citizen and to move there
Not to derail your dream, but have you visited the United States? Have you researched enough of the pros/cons of moving here? There will definitely be quite a few sacrifices you'll be making moving from the UK to the US, health care being one of them. Abysmal public transit in most cities and a much higher homicide rate (especially gun violence).

Old 09-03-2018, 07:17 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,541,930 times
You can't just up and move to the US. You either need to find an employer willing to hire you first, or you need to have a relative in the US willing to sponsor you.

And, as the market for law degrees in the US has sucked for several years now (from what I last read), and this is particularly true for new law school graduates, your chances of finding an employer to sponsor you are pretty low.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
What kind of law do you want to practice? That would affect location. International law, the big cities, mostly near the coast or borders. Immigration law, big immigrant communities. And so on. General law? Could go anywhere you can get a job. How tough that will be depends on how good you are at the law and how good you are at marketing yourself.

You mght look at this list https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...an_populations
Start out in a big Northeast or Midwest city and then consider other options after you build up you work resume. I'd probably work a few years in UK or Europe before moving. Might be doubly hard to get a job with a foreign degree and no professional work experience.

I've run into a handful of threads where the poster wanted to do this. I don't know how many actual tried. I do recall one guy who had a very rough time. The only jobs he could get were with bad employers. But there are surely plenty of examples, good and bad. Google or find folks that did it and talk to them personally. This is one tale of disappointment https://www.vox.com/2015/6/23/882334...-system-broken

Do 100-500 hours of detailed research then decide whether to proceed & how.

Consider working for a company or firm that does business in US from abroad. Consider Canada too.
I want to Practise Corporate Law, although criminal law also interests me, ofc with criminal law there is more flexibility since i could practise in all states but with corporate law its limited to the big cities. the polish factor doesn't really affect me though, granted it would be good for employability since a law firm in Chicago may have need for someone who speaks in polish but at this point i speak with a British accent and use English for almost everything

There are some law firms in the US where i could also get work experience, some do offer that to international students

Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Not to derail your dream, but have you visited the United States? Have you researched enough of the pros/cons of moving here? There will definitely be quite a few sacrifices you'll be making moving from the UK to the US, health care being one of them. Abysmal public transit in most cities and a much higher homicide rate (especially gun violence).
its a lifelong dream of mine to move to the US, there are some cons such as healthcare but if i ever need treatment for something major i can always go back to the UK, im a healthy person and i don't mind paying for health insurance, public transit also isn't important to me since i have a driving license and i love driving, The homicide rates are also almost the same in subrubs compared to European cities so that's not a problem, i just really want to become an American, Its a great county full of amazing opportunities, for me there is really no negatives to moving there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.