Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Atlanta probably first but Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville also would work well.
If the op is coming from anywhere but the West Coast, the NE, DC or South Flarida, Austin is not low rent. It's just lower rent than those places.

If the op is single and an average income person and coming from an average income place such as Indiana, rent in Austin would probably be more than what they want to pay for a place to live and would look elsewhere.

I agree with Nashville, but I think it's become a high rent city also, and that's why I picked Bowling Green, Kentucky instead of Nashville. Nashville is just right down the road and far enough away that it's not a suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 02:00 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If the op is coming from anywhere but the West Coast, the NE, DC or South Flarida, Austin is not low rent. It's just lower rent than those places.

If the op is single and an average income person and coming from an average income place such as Indiana, rent in Austin would probably be more than what they want to pay for a place to live and would look elsewhere.

I agree with Nashville, but I think it's become a high rent city also, and that's why I picked Bowling Green, Kentucky instead of Nashville. Nashville is just right down the road and far enough away that it's not a suburb.
-The OP is from Maine according to the username.
-Bowling Green doesn't have good mass transit. Very limited bus service. Knoxville might be a better option.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 19,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
-Bowling Green doesn't have good mass transit. Very limited bus service. Knoxville might be a better option.
Yes I am from Maine.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
fwiw, Richmond and Roanoke got some new praise in Outside magazine just recently.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:46 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Based on your needs:

- A decent job market ( child care field, secretary, or sales field) Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham: all have mostly booming economies and very strong job markets.
- Low rent costs ($500 - $1200): Nashville and Atlanta are getting pricey, but many options available still. For really low rent, you may want to add in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Greenville, SC, Winston Salem, NC, Birmingham, AL.
- a decent Social Scene that is good for a single girl: Hot cities for this are Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte lead the pack.
- good shopping and restaurants: Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, all solid.
- good public transportation: Atlanta and Charlotte best here.
- decent weather ( I don’t mind a little snow or rain): Atlanta, and the Carolinas cities or VA/TN cities work well.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:52 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I agree. Knoxville would be an excellent choice. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. I think any town that has a nice sized state run university is going to be one of the nicest cities and best cities in the state in which to live in.

I get to thinking about it, it seems like nearly every town in the United States that is home to a state run university is among the fastest growing cities in what ever state the university happens to be located in.

Perhaps much of the future in each state and the country lies with the college towns that will play a more important role to advance the state than they ever did before, as far as economics, employment, high technology, luring smart people and major corporations to the state.

We're in a different age now. It's no longer the industrial age. It takes more than a high school diploma in order to have at least a middle class income and lifestyle.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:07 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
And also consider NOLA. That could also work for you.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:56 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Yeah I had thought about that, Austin is not low rent if coming from a non coastal location but the incomes are high there so that makes the cost to income ratio favorable. I agree with your point that nashville isn't low rent but again, the income and growth opportunities are higher in Nashville than smaller cities in that region so I'm thinking big picture. So yes the cities yo mention are cheaper for living but offer less income and opportunity if a person is looking for that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.