Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM

260 posts, read 324,212 times

Advertisements

I am talking about the teenybopper pop artists that all the young women crave, like Demi Lovato and Justin Bieber.

OTOH, where is classic rock more popular? Country? Which states, regions and regions of states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Southern California.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 PM

438 posts, read 376,716 times
Those particular artists are pretty much out of the "teenybopper" scene. Got to old and adult for the labels and pretty much moved on to purely being entertainers versus "artists". I'm not even sure Justin has had an album in the last 3 years and Demi has been in and out of rehab.

Musical tatses pretty much can be found anywhere and enjoyed at any stage, although uber mainstream pop artists like Bieber tend to primarily be marketed towards teens and sometimes younger crowds to capitalize on the influence teens have in selling music and entertainment. The main goal with them is to sell concerts and merchandise by the thousands to kids (using their parents dollars) who simply like them the same way they liked Barney 5 years earlier.

The mainstream music is primarily made up of Hip-Hop/Rap and Pop music and Toronto, LA, and Atlanta are the primary locations that boost artists and their ability to break out. Tennessee (with Nashville and Memphis at the heart) is still the soul for country music, although I've noticed that a lot of country music artists are coming more and more from cities like NYC and DC. We're also seeing more Americana and older rock come out of the south and cities with music roots like Seattle and Minneapolis.

Keep in mind that the teen artist have to bring in as much money as possible in a short amount of time (they usually go out of fashion by their 5th year or when their base turns 18 and grows up) so they're constantly trying to sell sell sell. So your constantly hearing about them in areas outside music making them and pop music seem bigger then it is. I wouldn't say it's more popular in a particular state or region, more so just a particular age group. In terms for Rock and other styles of music; they can be found pretty much everywhere as music doesn't really have boundaries.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Neither of those artists are hot right now. Hip hop and electro pop are probably the standard young people genres right now.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:31 AM

481 posts, read 422,982 times
You're about 8 years late to the punch on that one.

Teenyboppers are popular because their media reach is epidemic in that age bracket. It's not really about any "one place". Those girls who like performers like that will travel from all around: the immediate area to commuter suburbs to even farther, to see their favorite star. Wherever there is internet and the reach of modern western culture, they will be popular.

Last edited by sad_hotline; 12-12-2018 at 12:43 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
OTOH, where is classic rock more popular? Country? Which states, regions and regions of states?
Cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Minneapolis would be my suggestions.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:13 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I guess maybe Appalachia or the super-remote towns of Alaska and the Mountain West? Those places seem to be farther behind culture-wise than the rest of the country.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I guess maybe Appalachia or the super-remote towns of Alaska and the Mountain West? Those places seem to be farther behind culture-wise than the rest of the country.
Classic rock isn't limited to those far reaches in terms of popularity. Many cities in the Midwest (and elsewhere) still maintain a very active club scene with live rock.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Minneapolis would be my suggestions.
For what? Demi or Beiber? No. Classic Rock? Maybe out in Waukesha County. Country? No. But when I have to drive up to Fond du Lac for hockey and start to lose Milwaukee channels and have to resort to scanning the radio A LOT of country comes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.