Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:25 PM

258 posts, read 1,504,975 times

Advertisements

Can I get some opinions from everyone on their favorite city on the west coast? I am considering a move in 08 out west and am trying to weigh down the pros and cons of each of these cities. I am considering in no particular order: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Denver (I know Denver isn't on the west coast but I'm still considering it). Any past or present experiences in any of these cities would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
SD

much potential not pretentious holier than thou (even w/ the La Jolla folks). it can be bigger than LA imo.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
Can I get some opinions from everyone on their favorite city on the west coast? I am considering a move in 08 out west and am trying to weigh down the pros and cons of each of these cities. I am considering in no particular order: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Denver (I know Denver isn't on the west coast but I'm still considering it). Any past or present experiences in any of these cities would help.
Los Angeles. #1 in the West. The largest city & metro in the West. If you like your T.V., all network stations are O&O's (no more preemptions) and have been since the early days of television. In fact, the CBS and NBC stations were the only O&O's west of the Rockies and the FOX station is still the only O&O on the West Coast.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
LA for everything. No question.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,451 times
I would guess it will depend on who you are and what you want to do with your life.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
yeah LA is everything, but i see SD being more attractive to the celebrities and all other plastics. even more sun and more clean beachfront. am i wrong?

hey i'm an east coast guy

Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
I've always been drawn to Portland, and Oregon in general for that matter. Something about a state's residents wanting to preserve their open space via strict growth boundaries to curtail sprawl has always astonished me. You don't see that in California, which from Google Earth looks like one giant suburban wasteland. At least Portlanders are trying to infill existing neighborhoods before transplants start plowing over vast swaths of forests and fields for McMansionvilles in subdivisions named McFartsyFancyPants Estates. I only wish PA residents and legislators could be this "enlightened" in terms of long-range land usage policies in order to encourage our massive numbers of transplants from NY and NJ to move into existing neighborhoods FIRST before building new homes everywhere.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,236 times
If money deosn't matter I would say San Francisco. Just depending on what your looking for. This would my order:

San Francisco
Seattle
Portland
San Diego
Los Angeles
Denver

Also, don't forget about Sacramento. I think it would be a very good option, considering it is much cheaper than the rest of Cali, and a great place to live.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:29 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Los Angeles. It's not mindless suburbia as many here would like you to believe; there's a reason why 18,000,000 people live there.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:28 PM

6,545 posts, read 12,040,501 times
I would go with Seattle. The only drawbacks are the weather and cost of living, but the scenery makes up for it. It is also a fun city with a lot of energy and plenty to do, not to mention a beautiful skyline.

Second choice would be Denver. The city is a lot like Seattle, but no waterfront. The Rockies are beautiful. The plus about Denver is the cost of living is relatively cheap.

Third choice would be Portland, a smaller version of Seattle. Cost of living is a lot cheaper than Seattle, but can get boring if you like the big city.

San Francisco and the Bay Area is nice too but way too expensive.

I'm not a big fan of SoCal, so that's why I'm ranking Los Angeles lower than the Bay Area. It is a fun and exciting city though. You never know when they'll roll out the red carpet and have the spotlights out for celebraties. There's also a lot of culture there. The drawbacks are cost of living, traffic, and smog. The weather is nice though.

San Diego would be my last choice. Imo, it's the most overrated city I've ever been to. Sure the weather is nice like L.A., but that's all it really has going for it. If you like to surf and enjoy water activities, than San Diego might be for you. If you like an urban/big city vibe, San Diego is not for you. It has more of a laid-back suburban cookie-cutter atmosphere everywhere you go, which has it's disadvantages. I personally think it's a boring and uneventful city which is why I prefer L.A. over S.D. The cost of living is too high and I don't think it's worth it, and the traffic is bad but not as bad as L.A. One plus about San Diego is that it's one of the safest cities in the United States, but all the other West Coast cities are pretty safe (except for Oakland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.