Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM

23 posts, read 32,910 times

Advertisements

Does Denver have a similar climate to NYC? I've heard that Denver gets more sun than NY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
No, not really.

NYC has a humid subtropical (really, closer to oceanic climate) with lots of rainfall and some snow. The ocean moderates the climate extremes to some extent.

Denver is an semi-arid continental climate with relatively large diurnal temperature differentials. Snowfall is decent, but is sporadic. One can see snow in June some years. Snow oftentimes does not accumulate like it does here in MN and often melts over a few days after falling.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:32 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
You mean that they both get snow in winter and they can get hot in summer? That's about it lol. Denver is dry. NYC is humid. Denver gets more sun. NYC gets thunderstorms. Both get snow. Denver gets colder.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:46 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Denver is significantly sunnier in November, December, January, and February.

Denver is 5-8 degrees warmer on average during the day and 7-10 degrees colder at night.

There hasn't been a recorded June snowfall in Denver in over 65 years (6/5/1953). Most years the snow starts in mid-October and ends in late April/early May.

Denver gets roughly twice as much snow as NYC, but it doesn't stick around all winter. There will be days or even weeks at a time when there's little-to-no snow on the ground. I've hiked in the foothills in February in a t-shirt and long pants.

Denver's probably a few degrees warmer during the day in the summer, but the air is much drier and more comfortable. Air conditioning is not often used here, and very rarely does it have to be on 24/7 for days/weeks at a time. Most days our AC runs for 3-5 hours and the windows are open all night.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel360 View Post
Does Denver have a similar climate to NYC? I've heard that Denver gets more sun than NY.
You can look up percentage of possible sunshine on many websites. I'll let you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

Denver is 5-8 degrees warmer on average during the day and 7-10 degrees colder at night.

There hasn't been a recorded June snowfall in Denver in over 65 years (6/5/1953). Most years the snow starts in mid-October and ends in late April/early May.

Denver gets roughly twice as much snow as NYC, but it doesn't stick around all winter. There will be days or even weeks at a time when there's little-to-no snow on the ground. I've hiked in the foothills in February in a t-shirt and long pants.

Denver's probably a few degrees warmer during the day in the summer, but the air is much drier and more comfortable. Air conditioning is not often used here, and very rarely does it have to be on 24/7 for days/weeks at a time. Most days our AC runs for 3-5 hours and the windows are open all night.
No, but there has been snow in June in the metro, even if not at Stapleton/DIA. It snowed about June 5, 1998 in Louisville, just for a few minutes. It snowed in Boulder on June 5, 2005, the day my daughter graduated from high school.

Air conditioning is used in every office and business place, pretty much all summer. Homes built before about 1990 often don't have A/C, newer homes generally do. People have pretty much given up that old meme "You don't need air conditioning in Denver". You usually don't need to run it at night in a home.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

You are pretty much right and I am wrong. I could’ve sworn it snowed in June one time, but it was likely May. It has been some years and they had been in Golden and Greeley, not Denver. Snow in May is still pretty insane. We nearly never see it here in Duluth which is a notable colder place.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You can look up percentage of possible sunshine on many websites. I'll let you do it.

No, but there has been snow in June in the metro, even if not at Stapleton/DIA. It snowed about June 5, 1998 in Louisville, just for a few minutes. It snowed in Boulder on June 5, 2005, the day my daughter graduated from high school.

Air conditioning is used in every office and business place, pretty much all summer. Homes built before about 1990 often don't have A/C, newer homes generally do. People have pretty much given up that old meme "You don't need air conditioning in Denver". You usually don't need to run it at night in a home.
Yeah the whole "you dont need AC" is a big fat lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.