Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times

Advertisements

Have a family home in Montauk. Lived for two decades in northern OC with a 15 minute bike ride to Seal Beach.

In the summer time the beaches of Montauk are simply superior to anything along the S. CA coast. Warmer and much better and consistent waves. Nice broad sand beaches. Virtually no beach on the west side can hold a candle to say Ditch Plains in July or August. The S. CA beaches require wet suits most of the year. There may be a while in late summer or early autumn where you can get by without one. For warm beaches in S. CA you need Catalina. Though the warm beaches are on the wrong side and no wave action.

I have also sailed the coast from Seattle to Puerto Vallarta multiple times. The water does not get comfortable until you get a couple of 100 miles from San Diego. It is very cold once above LA.

One of the funny stories is of them taking pictures of bikini clad ladies on the beach S. CA with the mountains standing out sharply. The only time you can actually get that picture is on a cool winters day. So the bikini clad are wrapped in blankets except for the actual shoot and have mouth full of ice before the shoot so they won't spout white breath in the middle of the shoot.

So for high summer east. Outside of that west. And Baja beats both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
San Diego beaches are cool, but to describe them as requiring wetsuits for much of the year is just plain wrong. 10s of 1000s of beach goers every year enter the ocean and swim and frolic in the water without wet suits from June to Oct. I can handle swimming in La Jolla cove without one down to about 64° or so- though I’ll be almost spasmodically shivering for a half hour afterwards- not uncomfortably but the body is doing what it needs to do to warm back up. Last summer the water got up to the high 70°s for weeks on end. Anything above 70° is pretty much blissful to me.

Florida water temps are the most pleasant for most (I find it oppressively hot - especially with 85° water temp, 90° air temp and 90% humidity for 4 months of the year- just shoot me!) and New England and Long Island can be nice (or chilly, or oppressively hot with no waves) but don’t have anything like some great brisk, clear 73° water and killer waves of So Ca. The Pacific demands some commitment to enjoy its wonders.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:05 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I'll admit to not being a beach person so my experience is limited. West coast beaches and the surf seems colder but there are people in the water in wet suits in December in Southern California. I prefer the Gulf Coast beaches for the white sand and the beach experience. I've been in the water in April along the Florida panhandle and in mid January on Padre Island in Texas...but that was cold. Atlantic beaches are ok in the Carolinas or Florida in season but the surf is more of a challenge and there were undertow issues. The beach in Maine was solid rock. Florida Keys are somewhat beach-less.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Although there are exceptions, in general East Coast beaches have the advantage in terms of sand quality, water temperature and clarity, and ease of access. West Coast beaches tend to have more rugged surrounding topography and dramatic wave action, but are often less "user friendly". Cold ocean currents result in most of the immediate Pacific Coast north of southern California having very cool, cloudy weather much of the year.

Beach sunsets looking directly into the ocean can be very picturesque and striking - but they are not exclusive to the Pacific Coast, as the Gulf Coast also faces westward in peninsular Florida. Aside from occasional red tide episodes, this area is where some of the finest beaches in the nation are situated (Sand Key/Clearwater, Siesta Key, Captiva/Sanibel, etc.) The southward facing beaches in the Florida Panhandle are exceptional as well.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:11 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I think the OP and others also need to clarify a bit more what they seek from a beach experience:

1. Was the OP inquiring about beach use ONLY in July and August OR year round?
2. What does the OP do at the beach (activities, etc)
3. Define beach day.

I have lived on both coasts and people from opposite coasts have different criteria and perceptions. For example, a “beach day” to a Californian might count if they just show up—even if the temps are only in the high 50’s or low 60’s and they are wearing a sweatshirt whereas an East Coaster or someone else would only consider a beach day one where it is warm enough to sunbathe in swim trunks and bikinis.

West Coasters love to boast about the size of their waves, but how many people surf? From stats I have been able to find only 2% of the US population surfs (so in CA, maybe 3-4% surf??) whereas many more people simply wade or body surf, in which case warmer ocean temps might be a more important criteria to a larger percentage of the population.

More temperate summer temperatures will allow more people to stay out in the sun longer on the West Coast beaches than some East Coast beaches (FL).

Water temperatures—personally, I prefer warmer water to colder water...also, water clarity is better on East Coast from the Southeast down to the turquoise/caribbeanesque waters of SoFla and the Gulf Coast (better for diving, snorkeling)

West Coasters will boast about their topography—but how does a mountain range 5 or 60 miles away improve your experience ON the beach—though I must admit setting up shop on the rocks immediately on the beach at Windansea in La Jolla provided a real nice vantage point for admiring the beach activity and ocean waves.

Many West Coasters enjoy activities on the beach (volleyball) and kayaking; I cannot comment about East Coast beaches outside of Miami, but jet skiing is more prominent here.

Boardwalks and/or bike paths seem equally important and present at many beaches on both coasts.

Some people do not go into the water at all and, therefore, place a higher priority on sand quality.

Party life/social scene directly on the beach—not sure anything out West can compete with The Hamptons and South Beach...Malibu is sedate; Manhattan Beach is small; Laguna is artsy but not as “social” a destination; Pacific Beach is lively but more dive bar action—something you can find at other East Coast spots—not unique like the first 2 spots I mentioned.

Different people have different priorities. My personal favorite beach spot—neither on the East Coast or West Coast—is Rio de Janeiro...if you could blend West Coast and East Coast needs and likes, you would find it there as life in that city revolves around the beach culture—activities, topography, warm weather, waves, beach volleyball/futvolei, Wall/bike paths, food and drink vendors come up to you, beautiful people, etc.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-08-2019 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 08:19 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
East coast by far. Water is warmer along so much more of the coastline. CA ocean water isn't comfortable along nearly all of its coast. The barrier islands on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts offer so great variety that's easily accessible. I've experienced both coasts many times. I do like the west coast beaches, but I just like the east coast ones a good bit better.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Overall, East Coast. From rocky, atmospheric New England, to the endless, broad white strands stretching from Long Island to Georgia with dream like barrier islands and shoreside communities, to the ecolocically rich labyrinth of the Chesapeake, to Florida's near-tropical coasts, the east has it.

That said, some of the most interesting shorescapes are in northern California and Oregon, in my opinion, but for overall, I am going to have to go East on this one.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:59 AM

42 posts, read 26,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Mtnwatcher, again, have you ever been to a Florida or Gulf Coast beach on a summer day? I went to the Gulf Coast in August (it was very humid that day, but overcast, so it was *only* 90 degrees), and yes, the 85 degree water still felt much cooler than the air temperature.
I have it feels like hot bath water to me not refreshing at all. Then you come out and your hit with hot humid air, ugh, its certainly not for me.

I'm used to swimming in lakes and streams up here and occasionally the ocean which only gets to mid-70s. I prefer mid 70s.

I'm usually the big baby in the group because I won't go in the lakes and streams in spring but still, 85 is too hot.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
On the east side of the country you can actually go into the water. Also decomposed shells make a much cooler beach than brown sand, which is why I think Florida has the best beaches.
I actually disagree with you about that. For instance, I think Long Island has nicer sand then Florida. I like the temperature and the atmosphere of Florida (all those palm trees!) but I was not impressed by the actual sand itself.

Btw, I think the sand in Florida is from limestone, At least someone here on CD said that (I used to think it was decomposed corals).

Old 03-08-2019, 06:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
How do beaches on the east coast differ from beaches on the west coast? Which would you say is better?
I think the beaches are more scenic with all the hills and mountains going down into the water on the West Coast. But the East Coast has more swimmable beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.