Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times

Advertisements

Based on no other information.

1. Someone who's moved from California to Texas
2. Someone who's moved from Texas to California
3. Someone who was born in California and still lives there

And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 12:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
1. If they're older, they're conservative and hate the way California has become so liberal. If they're young, they're either liberal or moderate and moved for lower COL, school, or job opportunities.

2. Always liberal.

3. If they're older, almost always conservative. The old white people born and raised in CA their entire lives are often very very conservative. Maybe today less so since the more conservative California natives that are retiring are likely going to cheaper COL and lower tax places like LV, Phoenix, and Texas. If they're younger, almost always liberal. Very few conservative spots remain in the developed parts of CA. The only actual conservatives in every way that I know of were from Glendora/San Dimas area, but even they were pro LGBT. Some are from the South Bay and South OC, but again, generally not homophobic. They just vote for homophobic politicians and systemic racism, while not outwardly portraying themselves as such.

Ranking from liberal to conservative:
2>3>1

Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
It's stupid to judge people simply from where they're from, and where they're going.

Without knowing his/her beliefs, each of those persons in the example are a blank slate, and are/should be equal.

I've known people from both of those states running the gamut of political belief, so there's further proof that location can be meaningless.

Americans show their foolishness in their rush to assume and judge others. Many live their entire lives in autopilot mode, responding based on myths and stereotypes, with little to no actual thinking, analyzing, and processing. Nice. Cue the synthetic applause from plastic hands...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-25-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's stupid to judge people simply from where they're from, and where they're going.

Without knowing his/her beliefs, each of those persons in the example are a blank slate, and are/should be equal.

I've known people from both of those states running the gamut of political belief, so there's further proof that location can be meaningless.

Americans show their foolishness in their rush to assume and judge others.
Same. I was just answer the question with what I'd assume. Clearly my stereotypes are going to wrong a huge number of times.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:12 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Well, you either get actual data, or you assume. And which way you go will be very revealing.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:21 PM

14,029 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Well, you either get actual data, or you assume. And which way you go will be very revealing.
Based on the 2018 midterm exit polls Americans that move to Texas are more conservative than native Texas who are more conservative than immigrants.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same. I was just answer the question with what I'd assume. Clearly my stereotypes are going to wrong a huge number of times.
Yeah, that was why I put "based on no other information" in the OP - just what your gut feeling would tell you.

I'm trying to gauge what people perceive as having the greatest influence on political attitudes: where you grew up (1), where you have chosen to move (2), or whether you still live where you grew up (3). I'm actually specifically interested in what the stereotypes are, not what actual data would say.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I did assume. Because OP asked me to. Sorry you don't like my answer, but this is a public forum and I only responded to what OP asked. Stop being so sensitive and either contribute to the conversation or don't respond.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:54 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
1. If they're older, they're conservative and hate the way California has become so liberal. If they're young, they're either liberal or moderate and moved for lower COL, school, or job opportunities.

2. Always liberal.

3. If they're older, almost always conservative. The old white people born and raised in CA their entire lives are often very very conservative. Maybe today less so since the more conservative California natives that are retiring are likely going to cheaper COL and lower tax places like LV, Phoenix, and Texas. If they're younger, almost always liberal. Very few conservative spots remain in the developed parts of CA. The only actual conservatives in every way that I know of were from Glendora/San Dimas area, but even they were pro LGBT. Some are from the South Bay and South OC, but again, generally not homophobic. They just vote for homophobic politicians and systemic racism, while not outwardly portraying themselves as such.

Ranking from liberal to conservative:
2>3>1
Once again, I agree with you. I will say I know conservatives who live in liberal cities just because they're better cities.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:25 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,216,666 times
Furthest right - Someone who's moved from California to Texas
In between - Someone who was born in California and still lives there
Furthest left - Someone who's moved from Texas to California

It's possible that migrants from California to Texas could contribute to tilting BOTH states a little to the left, if they tend to be less liberal than other Californians and less conservative than other Texans (in a very general sense, of course).

California is a difficult state to move into these days due to the cost of living, so it makes little sense to relocate there for those who dislike its predominantly liberal environment, unless they have very specific career or family circumstances. I have actually lived in both states before and although I have little inclination to return to either state, Texas would be more likely than California. Like some other posters have noted, more liberal cities in conservative states can offer a good balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.