Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 PM

195 posts, read 333,809 times

Advertisements

Have you ever tried to find a new place to live from afar without even knowing what state?

This has got to be a "me" thing because I can't imagine anyone else doing this. Most people move someplace new because they have a job, or they want to be closer to family, etc. Me, I am fully intending to move from Idaho, and yet have no idea where to go. All I know is I want trees, and while it doesn't have to be entirely wooded and hilly, at least areas where there are wooded hills. A mixed bag, if you will. Where I grew up in Joliet, Illinois, it was flat in many areas, and then other areas had lots of hills and trees. My backyard growing up was basically a huge wooded ravine. That's what I'm looking for. That's my only criteria. Pfft.. no idea what I'm doing. Spent all day looking at Missouri. Tomorrow I'm probably spend all day at looking at the Cincinnati area. Exhausted and getting no where. Back in the day I would just pack up the car and go. I can't do that anymore because I have cats. I need to make arrangements before hand. I have my reasons for leaving Idaho. Sure it's a nice state, but I want to get back East again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 08:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I did this (trying to find a new place) with tons of research on lots of rather ambiguous and hard to quantify factors. More than anything it was simply fun. And in the end I didn't do it (move to a new place). So there's that, lol.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I did this (trying to find a new place) with tons of research on lots of rather ambiguous and hard to quantify factors. More than anything it was simply fun. And in the end I didn't do it (move to a new place). So there's that, lol.

I used to have fun pouring over demographic data, and studying geography forms, searching for the ideal place. But I'm not into that anymore.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:50 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
You appear to be approaching this haphazardly, eliminating places as fast as you think of them, asking for random suggestions while providing little information to base those suggestions on.
I think you need a more organized approach, maybe a process of elimination would help you to narrow your search. I also think if you tell us reasons you have eliminated some of the specific cities you've already looked at it would help us with making new suggestions.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You appear to be approaching this haphazardly, eliminating places as fast as you think of them, asking for random suggestions while providing little information to base those suggestions on.
I think you need a more organized approach, maybe a process of elimination would help you to narrow your search. I also think if you tell us reasons you have eliminated some of the specific cities you've already looked at it would help us with making new suggestions.

I haven't really eliminated anything, except for maybe NE Texas. I am still considering Missouri, Southern Indiana, Louisville area, Cincinnati area. I eliminated NE Texas because I pulled up a random Google Street view of Tyler, Texas, and it looked like the deep south to me. The houses were impoverished, the people looked poor. I have no business moving down there. The other places I mentioned are closer to what I am used to in terms of culture and people, I think. I was born and raised in North-Central Illinois. Without taking 6 months and exploring these areas, I dont know how i can pick one. I don't have that luxury. It seems hopeless trying to pick a town from a far out of all the possibilities. I don;'t have a job waiting in a particular town to steer me in that direction, or family. I'm just exhausted of looking at Google Maps and being no where closer to having any idea.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I'm just exhausted of looking at Google Maps and being no where closer to having any idea.
So your main concern is topography/climate?
If you're picky about where you want to be then definitely use the process of elimination, make a list of your must haves and then get a map of some sort (or just picture one in your head) and start crossing areas off until you have more manageable areas to research in depth.
If you aren't picky then there are a lot of places that could meet your needs/wants and you are only going to frustrate yourself into a state of constant indecision if you continue to look for a 'perfect' place.

Ten years ago I was given the opportunity to move more or less anywhere in the country with my job, so I have dealt with this issue and I know that it can be daunting, but it is doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.