Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 PM

50 posts, read 73,751 times

Advertisements

I know it might sound strange but i would like to hear any differences among the population of these three states. I am talking about everyday behavior, their habits, political views, religiosity, etc...

Are there some trends that are common in Nebraska and not so common in Idaho, for example, and vice versa?

How do people from these states react to the immigrants with thick accents (i am white if it matters)?

Which state has the most or the least friendly people?

Which state is best/worst for dating people (age range from 25 to 40)?

Please be descriptive. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Nebraska and Iowa are among the most similar states in the country. Iowa is less conservative, but not drastically.

Idaho is an incredibly far distance from either and has little in common, besides being very rural.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
idaho and montana are twins.
iowa and nebraska are siblings.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Nebraskans in "the city" (Omaha) are like people everywhere. The culture is "general midwestern". Omaha itself is a Democratic city. There are lots of churches. My DH's family is not religious, and they "fit in". An immigrant with a thick accent would be accepted and not be considered unusual.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 PM

50 posts, read 73,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Nebraskans in "the city" (Omaha) are like people everywhere. The culture is "general midwestern". Omaha itself is a Democratic city. There are lots of churches. My DH's family is not religious, and they "fit in". An immigrant with a thick accent would be accepted and not be considered unusual.
Let me clarify myself. I am not American, i wasn't born in US. And i don't live in US long enough to know exactly what "general midwestern" culture means and how is it different to culture on the both coasts. The same goes for "Democratic city". I mean how do their political views affect their behavior and mentality in everyday life?

And by the way what is so different in Idaho besides the fact that it is more rural? I don't really care about nature and stuff i more concerned about population.

This is why i was asking to be descriptive. I just need to build a picture in my head how people will be there.

Thank you.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Idaho has a completely different climate and topography. It is a mix of forested mountains and desert or semi arid flat lands. All agriculture is irrigated, and most of the state is mountainous.

Iowa and Nebraska are on the Plains. The land is generally flat or gently rolling. Corn, soybeans, and wheat (in Nebraska) are planted in massive fields. There are lots of large scale livestock (particularly hogs and beef cattle operations). Western Nebraska is dry, arid, and more rugged. Eastern Iowa has some rugged, heavily forested areas. Neither are like Idaho at all.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
Let me clarify myself. I am not American, i wasn't born in US. And i don't live in US long enough to know exactly what "general midwestern" culture means and how is it different to culture on the both coasts. The same goes for "Democratic city". I mean how do their political views affect their behavior and mentality in everyday life?

And by the way what is so different in Idaho besides the fact that it is more rural? I don't really care about nature and stuff i more concerned about population.

This is why i was asking to be descriptive. I just need to build a picture in my head how people will be there.

Thank you.
OK. I figured you weren't American as you said you have a heavy accent. I made an assumption that you knew something about the US culture.

"General Midwestern" means people live a pretty "normal" lifestyle, e.g. the old "eat, work, sleep" thing. Of course people recreate, going to movies, sporting events, out to eat, etc. Lots of people have family nearby. As I said there are lots of churches, but there are also lots of unchurched people there. Culturally, people are probably more conservative than on the coasts, but that doesn't mean anything with regard to any individual.

The biggest city in Nebraska is Omaha. Most of the people in Nebraska live in the Omaha-Lincoln area. Omaha has a population of 400,000; I believe the MSA is about 800,000. It has all the good things and problems of every city of that size. Lots of restaurants, theater, music, museums, other cultural facilities, and medical facilities with two medical schools in the city. Schools are generally good. Lincoln has a population of 284,000 and an MSA of 327,000. It is the state capital, and the home of the flagship university, the University of Nebraska.

Omaha leans Democratic in voting; I imagine Lincoln does too, though my experience with Lincoln is much less than my experience with Omaha. The Democratic party is the more "liberal" of the two major political parties in the US. Except for people who are extremely engrossed in politics, one's political views generally don't affect their behavior or "mentality" in every day life.

I don't know enough about Idaho to comment.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Never been to/know nothing about Idaho, so not going to talk about that state.

Nebraska is a very conservative great plains state, that, like the Dakotas and much of Kansas, is unlike the rest of the Midwestern region. It's basically a flat, spread out, and wide-open mix between the southern U.S. and western U.S.; both culturally and literally.

Iowa, as a whole, is a mix between the Nebraska great plains culture/topography, as well as the Great Lakes culture/topography. The western half greater resembles the plains, while the eastern half more resembles the rural parts of Illinois. Iowa is more moderate politically, but is still quite religious and conservative, due to its majority rural layout.

So basically, Nebraska is very conservative, and mostly white and native America, while Iowa is mostly white. Again, don't know anything about Idaho, so won't speak about it.Both places are conservative, but Iowa is more moderate and probably more open to outsiders than Nebraska.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:18 PM

561 posts, read 514,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The biggest city in Nebraska is Omaha. Most of the people in Nebraska live in the Omaha-Lincoln area. Omaha has a population of 400,000; I believe the MSA is about 800,000. It has all the good things and problems of every city of that size. Lots of restaurants, theater, music, museums, other cultural facilities, and medical facilities with two medical schools in the city. Schools are generally good. Lincoln has a population of 284,000 and an MSA of 327,000. It is the state capital, and the home of the flagship university, the University of Nebraska.

Omaha leans Democratic in voting; I imagine Lincoln does too, though my experience with Lincoln is much less than my experience with Omaha.
According to the latest 2018 US Census estimates, the Omaha City population is 468,000 and the MSA is 942,180. The CSA is 979,000. The Omaha MSA/CSA is basically at 1 million now. The Omaha MSA was 800,000 back in 2003.. Just as a point of reference..

Peace...

Old 06-09-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
According to the latest 2018 US Census estimates, the Omaha City population is 468,000 and the MSA is 942,180. The CSA is 979,000. The Omaha MSA/CSA is basically at 1 million now. The Omaha MSA was 800,000 back in 2003.. Just as a point of reference..

Peace...
Thanks for the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.