Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 4,949 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am looking for some helpful moving suggestions. My husband and I currently live in Tampa. Our lease ends in 2 months and we are lost on where to move.

Our main problems with the Tampa metro

-extreme heat and sunshine 11 months out of the year
-the insane traffic and crowding everywhere you go
-lack of cultural, seasonal events, festivals, etc.
-highest rate of smokers we have seen anywhere
-the high cost of living for what you get. Seems like a really bad value
-super hard to get around. Everything is super spread out and inconvenient
-the lack of fitness opportunities
-not really into laying on the beach, fishing, etc

Overall, we feel the vibe is a bit too slow for us and lacking a health/fitness type vibe. We both work from home. Income is around 130 and we are seeking rent up to around $2000.

Main things we are seeking in the new move:

A 2 bedroom for $1600-2000 max

Would prefer an area that has a smoking ban. We were surprised that this area still allows patio smoking. First place we have seen in a long time. As we like to dine outside, we would prefer to avoid areas with heavy smokers/relaxed smoking laws.

No climate preference really, although Tampa is way too hot and sunny for our taste. There really is no shade at any of the parks and none of the outdoor dining areas are ever covered. We have lived in really cold climates as well as the desert with no problem. Would prefer a bit cooler climate if possible, however, this is not a must. Our main preference is a health and fitness oriented atmosphere, low smoking rates, lots of running events, and an overall positive vibe.

Would prefer an area that is not as family friendly - more young professionals, unmarried couples, 20-40 year olds.

Politically moderate. Prefer to avoid any extremist areas. Also would prefer to avoid super religious areas.

Access to lots of entertainment. We like to go out on the weekends and do pretty much anything. Coffeeshops, local restaurant and shops, theaters, sporting events, museums, seasonal events. Overall, we are super active.

Prefer an urban walkable vibe over a suburban vibe. We prefer local dining and shopping over chains for the most part. However, our realize our rent probably limits us. This isn't a major factor. As long as we have access to a city or charming downtown, this would be fine as well.

And finally, we take a lot of weekend roadtrips. Access to great places within a 4-6 hour drive would be a bonus.

Thanks for any help! Totally stuck on where to begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 08:23 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Not sure about the "smoking ban" aspect of your criteria, but I'd suggest a more moderate climate city in the sunbelt.

Also, you did not mention work or employment needs, but I'm assuming you both work remotely and can be anywhere?

I'd check out--
Atlanta
Nashville
Charlotte

All 3 are growing urban centers and metro areas and have a large singles, young professional couples scene with tons of things to do for entertainment.

Smaller yet happening and growing cities I'd recommend would be--
Asheville, NC
Chattanooga, TN
Huntsville, AL
Athens, GA
Lexington, KY

Old 03-16-2021, 09:27 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness8210 View Post
Hi there. I am looking for some helpful moving suggestions. My husband and I currently live in Tampa. Our lease ends in 2 months and we are lost on where to move.

Our main problems with the Tampa metro

-extreme heat and sunshine 11 months out of the year
-the insane traffic and crowding everywhere you go
-lack of cultural, seasonal events, festivals, etc.
-highest rate of smokers we have seen anywhere
-the high cost of living for what you get. Seems like a really bad value
-super hard to get around. Everything is super spread out and inconvenient
-the lack of fitness opportunities
-not really into laying on the beach, fishing, etc

Overall, we feel the vibe is a bit too slow for us and lacking a health/fitness type vibe. We both work from home. Income is around 130 and we are seeking rent up to around $2000.

Main things we are seeking in the new move:

A 2 bedroom for $1600-2000 max

Would prefer an area that has a smoking ban. We were surprised that this area still allows patio smoking. First place we have seen in a long time. As we like to dine outside, we would prefer to avoid areas with heavy smokers/relaxed smoking laws.

No climate preference really, although Tampa is way too hot and sunny for our taste. There really is no shade at any of the parks and none of the outdoor dining areas are ever covered. We have lived in really cold climates as well as the desert with no problem. Would prefer a bit cooler climate if possible, however, this is not a must. Our main preference is a health and fitness oriented atmosphere, low smoking rates, lots of running events, and an overall positive vibe.

Would prefer an area that is not as family friendly - more young professionals, unmarried couples, 20-40 year olds.

Politically moderate. Prefer to avoid any extremist areas. Also would prefer to avoid super religious areas.

Access to lots of entertainment. We like to go out on the weekends and do pretty much anything. Coffeeshops, local restaurant and shops, theaters, sporting events, museums, seasonal events. Overall, we are super active.

Prefer an urban walkable vibe over a suburban vibe. We prefer local dining and shopping over chains for the most part. However, our realize our rent probably limits us. This isn't a major factor. As long as we have access to a city or charming downtown, this would be fine as well.

And finally, we take a lot of weekend roadtrips. Access to great places within a 4-6 hour drive would be a bonus.

Thanks for any help! Totally stuck on where to begin!
This sounds like a lot of the older well-kept urban neighborhoods of many midwestern or northeastern cities away from the more expensive coastal areas. Some southern cities fit the bill as well, but the fitness aspect will be lacking compared to other regions. Sure, you can find plenty of people there into it, but it's not as ingrained into the overall culture as well as it is in other places. Those cities also tend to be more spread out since much of their growth has occurred in the modern era.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:50 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
If it's important to meet lots of unmarried 20-40 year olds (who aren't just there for college, or living with their parents), major cities are pretty much your only option.

$1600-2000 for a 2BR is a solid budget. Don't be automatically writing off "expensive" cities here. Maybe not San Francisco, but you can find 2BRs in places like Seattle and Denver within that budget. Seattle's political "extremist" factor is also way overhyped --- even at the height of the George Floyd protests, they were only around pretty small areas of downtown and Capitol Hill.

Old 03-16-2021, 04:44 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Check out Richmond VA which nails all of your criteria and despite it's history of tobacco production, pretty progressive in that realm.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
If it's important to meet lots of unmarried 20-40 year olds (who aren't just there for college, or living with their parents), major cities are pretty much your only option.

$1600-2000 for a 2BR is a solid budget. Don't be automatically writing off "expensive" cities here. Maybe not San Francisco, but you can find 2BRs in places like Seattle and Denver within that budget. Seattle's political "extremist" factor is also way overhyped --- even at the height of the George Floyd protests, they were only around pretty small areas of downtown and Capitol Hill.
I meant couples without kids, not unmarried. It's not super important. I just feel that every time we go out in the Tampa area, we are the only ones without 3-4 kids. Feels a bit awkward like everyone is looking at us funny. Thanks - I'll look into the rent prices in those cities.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look into some of the places listed.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:48 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Check out Columbus, GA.

www.alwaysuptown.com

www.visitcolumbusga.com

Also check out YouTube videos about Columbus. You'll be 1.5 hours from Atlanta, and three hours from the beach or the mountains. And only about 40 minutes from Auburn University.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:54 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness8210 View Post
I meant couples without kids, not unmarried. It's not super important. I just feel that every time we go out in the Tampa area, we are the only ones without 3-4 kids. Feels a bit awkward like everyone is looking at us funny. Thanks - I'll look into the rent prices in those cities.
Find an older big, established city with a solid urban core, and avoid the suburbs.
Milwaukee would be a good option.
Being mindful of fitness is normal for many and not looked down upon by others.
Great park system.
Wisconsin has always been a leader in the bicycle culture.
Cultural festivals throughout the summer.
It's cold, but the lake moderates temps in both seasons to some degree. Not as cold there as places further inland, and it doesn't get as hot in the summer either.
Practically next door to Chicago.
Door County and the northwoods are some great rural getaways.
Ride the ferry to the Michigan side.
Very active culture.
It's politically balanced for the most part.
Catholics and Lutherans make up the largest chunk of religious adherents, and they're the least in-your-face about it.
It's pretty affordable. The east side next to the lake north of downtown, or Bay View just south of downtown are good places to start.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:08 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
I'm not sure about current rents in the area which are likely high, but Denver is probably one of the strongest "fitness culture" oriented major cities. There are extensive trails for running, mountain biking, etc. and of course access to the majestic outdoors of the Rockies. The smoking rate (at least for tobacco) is among the lowest in the nation.

I would definitely suggest living around the urban core if you prefer being around a lower concentration of families with children. Your description of the Tampa area sounds like some outer part of Pasco or east Hillsborough County, not South Tampa or St. Petersburg. Denver or other metro areas would likewise have substantial differences between more central and outlying communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.