Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:08 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What? Georgia is ranked 33rd? I thought it would be in the top 10 or 15 at least. We've had the Olympics, we've got Coca-Cola, CNN, Delta Air Lines, etc.

Of course it's no surprise that California is ranked #1. From the rest of the world's point of view, the entire United States is like California. That is the birth of contemporary American culture, and eventually spreads nationwide and even world-wide.
Don't forget, that list is for STATES and not cities. A lot more people know about Atlanta these days, but most people in the world don't hear about the states, they just hear about the cities. Exceptions, as you can imagine, would be California, Texas, Florida, Hawaii, Alaska, maybe even Louisiana.

But I still think this list is pretty much bullcrap. North Carolina is a wonderful place--I own property there, and I like NC better than TX--but there is absolutely no way that NC is more widely known worldwide than Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Seeing as NC is a major producer of tobacco, I am not surprised that NC would come in before Texas.
Yes, since so many Europeans smoke, even when riding their bikes!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,291 times
I didn't expect Michigan to be basically last, considering Detroit put the world on wheels.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Seeing as NC is a major producer of tobacco, I am not surprised that NC would come in before Texas.
Yes, since so many Europeans smoke, even when riding their bikes! But Illinois (Chicago) #40 after S. Dakota, et al?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:04 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm surprised Hawaii is ranked so high b/c it seems as if most Americans outside of the west coast don't even know that much about it.
Living abroad from Brazil to Italy to India and so on, Ive found that Hawaii has a very powerful and distinct image in the minds of people-and it really surprised me.

Since Im not white but American, people like to inquire about my background and whenever people asked me about Tonga(Im Tongan), I would tell them its sorta like Hawaii and they almost always would respond with something relating to paradise or "it must be beautiful and tropical" or something to that affect.

Hawaii is definitely world famous, at least in all the places I've been to.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Hawaii's reputation in east Asia carries it a long way. There are a lot of people there.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I'm shocked at how low Pennsylvania ranked. I figured that being home to Philadelphia, which houses the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and was the birthplace of the Declaration of Independence would give us some credit. Also, who in their right minds hasn't heard of SCRANTON thanks to my big fat Italian stallion yap?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:42 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,133 times
Well, so long as Minnesota beat out Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakota's I'm happy.

Low visibility can be a good thing, no overseas/out of state types cherrypicking the best parts of your state for investment property, bidding up the prices and leaving magnificent homes and lake property unoccupied for the most part of the year. Better to have locals who support area businesses and get involved in the community.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:18 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery52 View Post
Interesting, somewhat. My English flatmate here in London couldn't name half of the states. But I was impressed that she did know half. I hardly knew any of the regions of England, or Britain for that matter, but I've been working on it and have picked up a bit!

I wonder how many Americans know the regions of France, Germany, Spain, etc... or--bonus points--China, India, even Mexico or Canada? I'm pretty embarrassed by our country's general lack of basic geographic knowledge. It's sad how many people from the US don't even know the difference between England, Great Britain, and the UK (and there is a significant difference that is very important to many people!)
UK- Scotland, Wales, England, N. Ireland, and I think I'm forgetting one
France- Brittany, Paris... thats it hahaha
German- uhhh...
Spain- I know they're dialects of Spanish, Castilian, and what not... you go me here too
Mexico- (I have Mexican roots) Tamaulepas, Chihuahua, baja California, Oaxaca, Durango, jalisco, Nayarit, Districto Federal, Yucatan, Colima, Sonora, Aguascalientes, Zacatecas, Nuevo Leon, and I can only remember those... of the top of my head
china- (I also have roots here ) Szichuan, Shanghai, Beijing, Fuzhou, guangdong, Hunan, Chongqing, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau... eh... This is sad I don't know the rest... I know most of the major cities though...
India- I know its divided between North and South. I could recognize the name of a couple of states but I don't know...
Canada- uhh quebec, Yukon, Ontario, Alberta, New 'Something or other', some big 'S' one... something about a prince...I have half of them on the tip of my tongue...Sorry
This was all of the top of my head...

I though Texas would have a bigger impression...
The whole wild west thing would be strong...
In my opinion... California, New York, Texas, and Florida would take the prize... Followed by Hawaii and Alaska...then Tennessee...Maybe Michigan...then Colorado...but off what I know(off of china, Philippines, Mexico, and Canada)...
people recognize the first 4 the most...

Old 05-17-2008, 11:30 PM

59 posts, read 172,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
Well, so long as Minnesota beat out Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakota's I'm happy...
Amen, brother.

But I do agree.

I no way shape or form believe that North Carolina beat out Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.