Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times

Advertisements

I live in Tampa now, but my family is in Raleigh, NC. I like large, cosmopolitan cites (Tampa is not..lol) but I'd like to be close to my family (i.e. a few hours via train or car). I figure anything up to an 8 hour drive is okay, but I'm having trouble figuring out which cities fit that bill since I'm not from the area.

I looked at Columbus, DC, Baltimore, and Charlotte. So far, DC is winning out but it's SO expensive. I don't drive either, so I have to live in the city.

So, anyone got some suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
have you ever considered Augusta,Savannah,atlanta,-Georgia or Knoxville,Tenessee
Ashville,Winston-Salem,-NC or The Hampton Roads area of Virginia most of these cities are really not "cosmopolitan" but are significantly better than Tampa.

most of these cities are with in about 5 hours of Raleigh.

i dont know much about these cities because i dont live in that region but i just happen to know they arent that far from Raleigh.

good luck with your search!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
Why not Raleigh itself? It's probably the most cosmopolitan option outside of DC.

Except for maybe Atlanta, but that may be too far.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Thanks for the responses!

Virginia Beach looks wonderful, never even thought of it, but it seems to lack in public transportation which is important to me since I am unable to drive.

I've looked at Raleigh, but again the public transportation is insufficient. It seems like all the cities around NC are pretty much the same. So that's why I decided I could live a few hours away and still make the trip a couple times a month to allow myself to live in a city that I'll be happy in. Even DC bugs me as it's got huge crime problems and it lacks the cityscape I like (skyscrapers, vibrant downtown area).

If I could find a Denver near my family, I'd be happy. I've looked around the web A BUNCH today and realized it's just not going to happen. I'll have to make a compromise and either continue to live far away from my kids or live nearby in say DC or Charlotte.

Well, thanks again for the input.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
DC does have good nightlife, although no skyscrapers.

What is it about Denver that you like? The outdoorsiness? If so, try maybe Asheville. It's a small city, but it kind of reminds of a Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.