Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,484 times

Advertisements

I am relocating and need help!

I'm a 25yr old woman (liberal, educated, literary type). I have lived in boston, brooklyn, LA & Denver and have driven extensively about the country (familiar with most major US cities). I am very fond of the Eastern United States, dislike the west, and have never traveled to the NW.

Ideally, I'd like to live somewhere similar to upstate New York: seemingly rural (nature, farms, small town feel, historic homes) yet cultured (sporadically inhabited by former city dwellers/educated/bohemian types, a handful of good coffee shops, restaurants, book stores.)

Does such a place exist or am i asking too much? There are the obvious college towns in rural areas but many of these give off an unappealing wishy/washy hippy vibe. I am not looking for yuppy/hippy (Asheville, Boulder, Fort Collins etc.)

Anyone know of any rural areas where young people (20's & 30's) tend to be moving? perhaps just starting to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,165,253 times
Northern Wisconsin or Northern Minnesota maybe? My best educated guess....LOL

Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 PM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I would say Vermont and New Hampshire are your best bets.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Are you leaving Upstate NY? If so, what part?

Old 08-27-2011, 02:22 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsdown View Post
I am relocating and need help!

I'm a 25yr old woman (liberal, educated, literary type). I have lived in boston, brooklyn, LA & Denver and have driven extensively about the country (familiar with most major US cities). I am very fond of the Eastern United States, dislike the west, and have never traveled to the NW.

Ideally, I'd like to live somewhere similar to upstate New York: seemingly rural (nature, farms, small town feel, historic homes) yet cultured (sporadically inhabited by former city dwellers/educated/bohemian types, a handful of good coffee shops, restaurants, book stores.)

Does such a place exist or am i asking too much? There are the obvious college towns in rural areas but many of these give off an unappealing wishy/washy hippy vibe. I am not looking for yuppy/hippy (Asheville, Boulder, Fort Collins etc.)

Anyone know of any rural areas where young people (20's & 30's) tend to be moving? perhaps just starting to do so?

Upstate New York.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:40 PM

413 posts, read 789,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would say Vermont and New Hampshire are your best bets.
Agreed

Old 08-27-2011, 08:09 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
I grew up in upstate NY. La Crosse, Wisconsin and Winona, Minnesota come to mind, especially Winona. The whole area around the Mississippi in Minnesota and Wisconsin looks like upstate New York, is full of old towns, and is generally pretty vibrant in terms of economy and culture.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Wow, thank you so much for all the advice!

No, I am not leaving upstate. I currently live in Denver, CO and I'm eager to get out and back east.

Currently I have a job that is more or less mobile (with a few stipulations - need the right demographic) I'm not ruling NY out, I just thought it might be interesting to do something new. Basically I've been curious for some time if there is anywhere else in the US that offers what upstate NY so clearly does.

Last edited by windowsdown; 08-28-2011 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's what I was thinking, but a little more information might help. There are places with colleges that offer the OP those things without the wishy washy hippy/yuppy vibe.

Also, places like these might work: Owego Homepage
Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food
Experience Corning, NY
Corning Area Chamber of Commerce Home
City of Corning*

Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth.
Canandaigua New York - Your Guide to Beautiful Downtown Canandaigua, NY

City of Saratoga Springs
Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate

Glens Falls, NY - Official Website
Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

Ballston Spa, New York just minutes from Saratoga Springs, NY
Ballston Spa Business & Professional Association - Working Together to Promote Ballston Spa, New York

Village of Liverpool Home Page
Liverpool Chamber of Commerce - Serving Town of Salina, Clay and more. > Home

Village of Fairport

http://www.manliusvillage.org/
Manlius Art Cinema

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York
Thank you, I appreciate this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.