Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:57 PM

322 posts, read 1,104,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not at all. NO was inhospitable to live in long b4 Katrina. mom is from New Orleans.
not the town i lived in as a child. it got evil. the weather is a side issue. fyi i am non white.

lol..how does you being non white have anything to do with the topic.... not to seem rude but .. im just saying... it's like a disaster waiting to happen if you live in or near the gulf coast... i mean i can't remember the last time the west coast had a major earthquake to be concerned about... but this kinda stuff happens every year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:08 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,691,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
it's like a disaster waiting to happen if you live in or near the gulf coast... i mean i can't remember the last time the west coast had a major earthquake to be concerned about... but this kinda stuff happens every year..
Yeah, and there's plenty of warning and enough time to evacuate, unlike with earthquakes. I'd rather risk hurricanes than earthquakes. You pick your poison.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 AM

322 posts, read 1,104,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yeah, and there's plenty of warning and enough time to evacuate, unlike with earthquakes. I'd rather risk hurricanes than earthquakes. You pick your poison.

that's a good point...i just i mean i don't think i'll ever experiance a major Earthquake in my lifetime... it's very very rare

Homeowner's Insurance must Be extremely Expensive in or around the Gulf Coast.... though... that's why ...i mean it's not even worth investing time in buying a home ...because this kind of thing has been happening so much recently.. it just sucks..i feel really bad...

Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 AM

27 posts, read 140,140 times
Default Part of Life

The Gulf Coast people live with Hurricanes all the time. Before Al Gore it was accepted as a part of life to deal with ... and people rebuild and get on with it. Since Al Gore - all hope is lost. It is rare for any one town to get wrecked from a Hurricane in the course of a hundred years. Even New Orleans was not messed up too bad by Katrina's usual hurricane force. It was the "unusual" added factor of broken levees that turned recovery from a 3 year effort to a 10 year effort -- but regardless -- New Orleans will most certainly be back in full swing over time. Gustav will likely do its damage the usual way with the winds; Hurting a lot yes, but not another flood induced by weak levees. Hunker down - repair and rebuild. It is a well entrenched mantra for towns on the gulf coast. And - it is accepted. Part of life.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,107,431 times
If people want to continue to exercise poor judgment when choosing to live in a flood plain or a high risk hurricane prone zone then by all means let them pay for the resulting damage themselves. It is not the Federal Government's responsibility to rebuild a metro area that has been destroyed by water and may very well be destroyed yet again in the same manner. Our tax dollars can be more wisely spent elsewhere.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
If we did abandon New Orleans, what would we do with all the buildings there? What about the Saints, where would they go? And what about Mardi Gras?
I've got solutions to each of these potential problems.

1) Auction off all of the buildings in the region to the highest bidder. I'm certain Comaha can use a few more high rises to add to its downtown. Simply buy what you need, dismantle them and truck them up to Nebraska and then rebuild them.

2) The Saints should move to another city and start fresh. Let's face it, they've been one of the most woeful franchises in recent NFL history thanks to their inability to even make it to the playoffs, let alone win when they do get there. Some metro areas that could support an NFL team include Columbus, Hartford and perhaps Portland, OR.

3) Move Mardi Gras to Las Vegas.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
i mean i can't remember the last time the west coast had a major earthquake to be concerned about... but this kinda stuff happens every year..
1994 in Los Angeles and 1989 in San Fran. That's in addition the wildfires and mudslides that seem to happen every single year.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
If people want to continue to exercise poor judgment when choosing to live in a flood plain or a high risk hurricane prone zone then by all means let them pay for the resulting damage themselves. It is not the Federal Government's responsibility to rebuild a metro area that has been destroyed by water and may very well be destroyed yet again in the same manner. Our tax dollars can be more wisely spent elsewhere.
After hurricane Ivan I did pay for my damage myself. I didn't ask FEMA for a dime.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:33 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,754,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
If New Orleans is wiped out again it is time to consider it uninhabitable. Why continue to waste the taxpayers dollars on a city that is below sea level and prone to be destroyed time and again by Mother Nature?
I don't mean to come off as rude, but that is one of the dumbest post I've read all day. Almost every place in this country is vunerable to natural disasters. Should we just abandon LA or San Francisco when the "big one" hits without notice? Why would we just abandon a city with over 200 years of history which is part of American culture.

A better question would be, why don't we build better levee system, like the one the dutch have instead of having to waste tax payer dollars for repairs on the one's we have right now everytime a hurricane hits.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
After hurricane Ivan I did pay for my damage myself. I didn't ask FEMA for a dime.
I gave you a rep for this. Nice to see someone had enough smarts to avoid having to deal with the FEMA trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.