Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times

Advertisements

I've always been fascinated with geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Everytime friends would talk to me about one city or another, I always knew the population of them. They would be like how do you know all these things. I didn't know. Sometimes someone would say something like such and such a city is bigger, and I'd be like hold on there fella, your wrong about that, this city is actually bigger.
Well then you'll fit in quite well here

Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
My fun filled childhood involved going through phone books at the library and plotting businesses on maps. Now I have Google to do it for me automatically!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Yeah, I love maps as well. I was a statistic geek. Everytime friends would talk to me about one city or another, I always knew the population of them. They would be like how do you know all these things. I didn't know. Sometimes someone would say something like such and such a city is bigger, and I'd be like hold on there fella, your wrong about that, this city is actually bigger. I have an absurd desire to want to know about all cities. I could probably tell you the population of some small city on the opposite coast of where I am living with pretty good accuracy. Metro statistics are kind of a new form of stat taking, so I am learning pops all over again. I used to just go with cities and there immediate surrounding. Now everyone wants to include three other major cities within what seems like a hundred miles to their metro stats, so on here I am learning knew understandings of statistics...
How old are you? We might have been separated at birth. Before the internet, I would mark the calendar for when a new World Almanac or year book that would have updated population estimates for cities and metro areas.

It is getting fuzzy now, but I could come close to the population figures of the major cities in the country from the 1960 census on to the 2000 census. I can still spend hours pouring over the latest US census estimates on line.

I totally amazed a coworker the other day, they were debating on why Baylor was in the Big Twelve conference instead of TCU since Baylor was so small. Out of the blue, I said "Baylor has an enrollment around 13,000, TCU only 7,000." They went online and found out I was close to spot on.

And we thought knowing trivial things like this wouldn't get us places

Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
When I was a child, yes, but not exactly. I was never much interested in the U.S. I would study maps and encyclopedias after encountering strange, exotic countries in books I read, and then fantasize about someday living in these locales. I also subscribed to National Geographic World as a kid and would read it cover-to-cover as soon as it arrived. I just thought it was amazing there were so many different cultures in the world, and so much to see and do. I remember being absolutely fascinated with Alaska, Barbados, Luxembourg, and Madagascar at varying points!

Old 11-22-2008, 03:53 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
When I was a child, yes, but not exactly. I was never much interested in the U.S. I would study maps and encyclopedias after encountering strange, exotic countries in books I read, and then fantasize about someday living in these locales. I also subscribed to National Geographic World as a kid and would read it cover-to-cover as soon as it arrived. I just thought it was amazing there were so many different cultures in the world, and so much to see and do. I remember being absolutely fascinated with Alaska, Barbados, Luxembourg, and Madagascar at varying points!
Good for you - most of the kids I knew looked at National Geographic for the naked pictures!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:13 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
When I was young (starting at 12 or so), I used to love to study maps and our old beat up atlas of the United States. I still pull out the atlas (many years later) for fun. I wonder what brings people to this forum. Most of the people I know would have not the slightest interest in a forum about cities, states, who's bigger, better, more powerful, etc. I'm just wondering if many others took a young interest in these things, as I did.
I have always had a big interest in maps, ever since I was in elementary school. Mainly maps of the US though, not so good with other countries.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,513 times
[SIZE=5]Saintmarks[/SIZE]
befriend
[SIZE=2]Status:[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]"CM now blocked at work" [/SIZE](set 15 days ago)[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
722 posts, read 147,033 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1
Yeah, I love maps as well. I was a statistic geek. Everytime friends would talk to me about one city or another, I always knew the population of them. They would be like how do you know all these things. I didn't know. Sometimes someone would say something like such and such a city is bigger, and I'd be like hold on there fella, your wrong about that, this city is actually bigger. I have an absurd desire to want to know about all cities. I could probably tell you the population of some small city on the opposite coast of where I am living with pretty good accuracy. Metro statistics are kind of a new form of stat taking, so I am learning pops all over again. I used to just go with cities and there immediate surrounding. Now everyone wants to include three other major cities within what seems like a hundred miles to their metro stats, so on here I am learning knew understandings of statistics...

How old are you? We might have been separated at birth. Before the internet, I would mark the calendar for when a new World Almanac or year book that would have updated population estimates for cities and metro areas.

It is getting fuzzy now, but I could come close to the population figures of the major cities in the country from the 1960 census on to the 2000 census. I can still spend hours pouring over the latest US census estimates on line.

I totally amazed a coworker the other day, they were debating on why Baylor was in the Big Twelve conference instead of TCU since Baylor was so small. Out of the blue, I said "Baylor has an enrollment around 13,000, TCU only 7,000." They went online and found out I was close to spot on.

And we thought knowing trivial things like this wouldn't get us places

Yeah, that was me to a "T" as well. I dont know how many Almanacs I would pour through in the library every year over and over. I could look at them all day. My mother would always be like gee, how do you know such and such about this place or another, and I would say I dont know why, although I really knew it was the relentless hours looking stats up, and I felt like a dork why I was so interested. Heres a theory off the top of my head. Maybe by knowing all of these statistics I felt somehow apart of these other communities or it gave me an immiediate understanding of them. I guess it gave me an understanding of the size, makeup, geography, and cultures of a place. With enough statistics I could form my own opinion of how a city really is. Who really knows. Too bad I dont know of any jobs where this little odd desire would benefit.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:38 AM

378 posts, read 626,368 times
Of course, it's fun, especially if like traveling. It's also a good thing to be knowledgeable about where cities are, and you feel more connected to your country and the world. Many, many people in the U.S. don't even know the direction of their biggest cities, and that's sad.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Well I guess Im not alone.... There are some fun geography quizes on facebook and some in google... all the other Geography geeks will love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.