Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 11:04 PM

42 posts, read 190,754 times

Advertisements

I need to get out of this small city I live in. I've visited many cities and have always wanted to live in a big city and I would love to live in NYC.

I will not have a job when I get to New York.
I would arrive in NYC via Amtrak with nothing but a suitcase, laptop, and several thousand dollars and hope to find work within the first couple of months and then go from there. I feel like I need to do this for myself. (It's crazy I know, but I do have my reasons) The only problem is the job market in today's economy.

Or I could play it safe and transfer to Pittsburgh.

What would you do? Thank You so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I'd do Pittsburgh but I understand the need to go freelance. The best part about New York is that it's not going anywhere. Work up to New York. Do you need to be there right now?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
1. What kind of work will you be looking for?
2. By "transfer" to Pittsburgh, does that mean you'd stay with your current employer, but move to a different city?

I wouldn't recommend coming to NYC to look for a job in finance, but there are industries which are growing there.

Edit: I also wouldn't recommend coming to NYC if you're trying to "make it" on Broadway either. If I had a dime for every time a cashier at Better Burger tried to tell me about their libretto. Sheesh.

Last edited by lammius; 12-05-2008 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
You really shouldn't move to NYC without a job. The rents are so high, and even with people with jobs are having trouble affording an apartment. It isn't so smart to do it that way in this day and age. Maybe years ago that worked, but not really today.

It's easier if you're from the suburbs of NYC (like me) when you're only a few miles away and have family in the city and suburbs who can help you out in case you need it. Most people I grew up with moved to the city for jobs and will eventually return to Long island to raise families, if they can afford it (most of my friends can't afford LI though).

Old 12-06-2008, 12:20 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
sounds like New York would be a big ole disaster for you

Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I'd put my resume online and move somewhere I was offered a job.

If you plan to move to a city with no job, I would suggest a cheaper city, probably even cheaper than Chicago.

In New York, if you have $5,000, that might be 4-5 months rent (from my understanding) in a crappy apartment, and that doesn't include food.

But in a city like St. Louis (I just pick St. Louis because I know it better than other cities), $5,000 can be 9-10 months rent for a small apartment in a decent area. You can find a decent apartment for $400-$500k a month in the city, and in an area that's decently safe.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:01 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Go to Pittsburgh, then try to get to New York through contacts in Pittsburgh or from afar. You will look much better to potential employers if you are currently employed and appear stable.

There are companies in Pittsburgh with offices or connections in NY for sure. Be smart, not desperate. Be systematic. Sure you could go there during this lousy economy and "wing it." You might get lucky and you might not. If you don't get lucky, not good.

On the other hand, maybe it's the risk and adventure of going there without something that excites you, something that you need at this point in your life. If so, go for it. Has been done before and successfully too.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 12-06-2008 at 04:17 AM..

Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
If it were me, I'd just go to New York. But only because I'm so attached to this city that I really don't care. But seeing as though you're not from here, I'd first look for a job. Why don't you just start applying to everything you can find online here and when you're offered a job you can move here, and if it's not a job you really were looking for, at least you'll have a job here to pay rent and then you can work temporarily there and look for a job that fits you or whatever you got a degree for. Security wouldn't look bad on a resume... Shows that you can be responsible. Maybe a security job at MSG or one of the many major company headquarters here. NYC probably has the most security opportunities in the country since 9/11 and you could easily find a job working security at Madison Square Garden, United Nations Headquarters, the many places around Wall Street and NYC's financial district, Rockefeller Center, banks, Trump Towers all over the city, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Grand Central, museums, theaters, and the many top notch shopping centers such as Tiffany & Co. and Macy's.

I'm not saying keep the job because believe me, I know people who've done security and it is not something you want to do long term. But the security industry is booming in New York City and maybe something you'd be interested in doing while you find a short term place to live here and look for a better job which would make it easier to go to interviews because you're already here... And once you're offered another job that you went to school for then you can get a nicer place and adapt.

Or you could just start applying to jobs like the one you currently have and come to the city for interviews.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Would build career first and target more desirable location later

Manhattan and BeverlyHills are incredibly fun playgrounds for those w/a lot of money and a lot of free time

Reality is most of the highest-income financiers in Manhattan spent first ~10yrs of their post-college life working 100hrs/wk to build their careers, often arriving in office by 6AM and leaving >8PM...and had money, but little time for fun

The cool kids out at high-end Manhattan bars/clubs on wkday eves tend to be trust-fund kids and 30-40-something single/married but playing/divorced financiers....and the many, many hotties who lack cash but want to meet those w/cash; they make new copies of these hotties every yr, so no need to rush to arrive in Manhattan or BH before one has ample cash and free time

Old 12-06-2008, 10:43 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Move to Pittsburgh. You will get more for your money plus you have a job lined up. New York is not a city that you want to go to without money AND a job. Plus in Pittsburgh you could own your own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.