Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times

Advertisements

Whatever floats his or her boat...
I mean, who is to tell him (assuming the author is a male) that these arn't the worst towns if it is all opinion?
If he is making false statements, that's different but in the long run, time will show what people think of these places (by population growth or decline). and some places will attract people despite their repulsiveness, but I think the trend of which people are moving across the nation will trump a crack-headed author.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Sounds like whoever put this list together just drew city names out of a hat.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Little Rock's a crappy town, but not the worst in Arkansas, which is a crappy state in general. Maybe the author's never heard of Pine Bluff, the small town that rates right there with the worst of the big cities in terms of any type of crime.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Little Rock's a crappy town, but not the worst in Arkansas, which is a crappy state in general. Maybe the author's never heard of Pine Bluff, the small town that rates right there with the worst of the big cities in terms of any type of crime.
what is so crappy about arkansas? just wondering...i live in illinois. i know they have diamonds in ar-kansas, what else right?!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:52 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
what is so crappy about arkansas? just wondering...i live in illinois. i know they have diamonds in ar-kansas, what else right?!
In a recent study, it ranked #11 on a most-dangerous states list. Crime is horrible, even in many of the small towns. Drugs are an enormous problem. The quality of life there is extremely low, and poverty is rampant. Little emphasis is placed on education, and jobs pay nothing compared to most places. Worst of all, nobody there cares about any of that. It's a cultural thing. If they like it, let them be, I guess. In spite of the poverty, taxes are high. Thanks to people like Bill Clinton, and Mike Huckabee.
I was born and mostly raised there. I refuse to live in that state ever again. I's rather not even visit, but for now, I'll have to.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Why Niagara Falls? I know it has some rough looking neighborhoods, but it's not a complete loss.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Whatever floats his or her boat...
I mean, who is to tell him (assuming the author is a male) that these arn't the worst towns if it is all opinion?
If he is making false statements, that's different but in the long run, time will show what people think of these places (by population growth or decline). and some places will attract people despite their repulsiveness, but I think the trend of which people are moving across the nation will trump a crack-headed author.
It certainly is based on opinion, and I realize each person has a right to express his viewpoint, but to think one guy could somehow compile a credible list of the worst cities in the country is laughable. I'd like to ask the author how much time he's spent in each of the towns from his book - that would be very telling. Give me twenty minutes in a high traffic area of any town and I bet I can find people who both love and hate where they're living. That's why this book's premise seems odd to me - how can you fully understand the "goodness" or "badness" of a town until you've lived there? I heard plenty about Knoxville (from both residents and outsiders) when my family moved here three years ago, but looking back, I've come to the conclusion that not one single person gave me a description that matches up with the way I view the city now. It took several years of living here and taking in the environment before I could form an educated opinion about Knoxville, and even now I feel like I have plenty left to learn and discover about my city.

In the end, it's never good to limit what people can and cannot write, but I think this particular book is a joke.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM

11 posts, read 29,691 times
Default Dirty Durham deserves To Be On This List

Durham NC is a cesspool of gangs, drugs, prostitution, poverty, violence, etc. Yes Durham deserves to be on the list. For its size in relation to its problems it should be ranked number one. Its a horrible place, entirely unsafe, and completely unfit to raise a family. its schools are violent. its streets are violent. only the well off in gated living communities are able to enjoy the actual positives of the city, but even they have to drive on some of the roughest ill repaired streets Ive ever seen. I can not stress enough how god awful the city of durham nc really is.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM

96 posts, read 201,419 times
I completely agree with El Paso, TX, Detroit, Branson, MO, Truth or Consequences (T or C), NM, and Houston, TX. Disagree with OKC, Springfield, MA, Dallas and Waco.
It sounds like this guy may have judged a few places where he stayed the night in a hotel once, or heard from some friends that it sucked there, etc.
But not fair judgment - all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadling81 View Post
I completely agree with El Paso, TX, Detroit, Branson, MO, Truth or Consequences (T or C), NM, and Houston, TX. Disagree with OKC, Springfield, MA, Dallas and Waco.
It sounds like this guy may have judged a few places where he stayed the night in a hotel once, or heard from some friends that it sucked there, etc.
But not fair judgment - all in the eye of the beholder.
Why? Dallas and Houston are very similar.

And it was either this book or another similar one, where the cities were actually chosen randomly (or so it said).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.