Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Rules defining a Satellite City
1) An urban Downtown, with some sort of individual economy
2) distantly separated from the principle Urban Core (eg. Jersey City)
3) Does not anchor its own MSA (eg. Worcester)
4) not a co-equal (eg. St, Paul)
examples: Lowell, MA (Boston); Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville); Niagara Falls, NY (Buffalo).
What things can you do in that city?
What makes that city unique compared to the central city of the metro
What sort of identity does the city have?

I'll do Lowell since I know about it
Lowell is a former mill town of about 110,000 25 miles NNW of Boston. Lowell has a lot of good restaurants downtown, as well as several bars and clubs.
Lowell's Downtown holds the 2nd largest Folk Festival in the Country over the summer, as well as a Southeast Asian Water Festival (the city is 2nd only to Long Beach, CA in Cambodian Population) on the cities canals. Winterfest is in February. The city hosts the UMass-Lowell Riverhawks athletics, whose Marquee program in their Hockey team, which has the highest attendance in its conference that includes BC and BU. Also a minor league Baseball Team (the Spinners).
Between a large Public University with a mostly local enrollment, a vibrant immigrant community, with a unique blend of cultures, and an industrial but no colonial history, it really feels much different than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:15 PM

16 posts, read 16,348 times
I like Berkeley a lot, but it's almost as expensive as SF.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Idk if Scottsdale would count since I'm pretty sure it borders the city of Phoenix but I choose Scottsdale.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:45 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Avoiding large cities (i.e. Oakland, Long Beach, etc) I'd probably choose Ann Arbor MI (Detroit satellite). Highly intellectual population, great art scene, lots of green space and bike trails, etc.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Based on your criteria, I'd say Wilmington is a great choice.

1) It has an urban downtown that is home to every major credit card company in the nation (and the international Barclays), as Delaware is famous for its lax business regulation laws.
2) It is 25 miles from Philadelphia, which is enough distance to give it some breathing room while still maintaining close ties.
3) Anchors its own Metropolitan Division, but not its own MSA.
4) Dominates every other municipality (Newark, Claymont, Elkton, Pennsville, Middletown, Dover, New Castle) in its sphere of influence, and competes with the Philadelphia suburbs/exurbs of Delaware and Chester counties (West Chester, Kennett Square, Chadds Ford, Chester, Media).

To go more in-depth, Greater Wilmington offers quite a lot. Tax-free shopping is the main tourist draw for the region, but there's also Chateau Country, which is famous for its beautiful rolling hills, wooded groves and mansions (Joe Biden lives here). Makes for a great drive or bike ride, in addition to offering great museums like Winterthur. There's also Newark, which offers a cute college town experience, anchored by one of the best state schools in the country in the University of Delaware (with famous alumni to include Joe Biden, Chris Christie, and Joe Flacco). And the renowned Delaware Beaches are obviously a shorter drive away than from the rest of the Delaware Valley. Overall, Wilmington has carved out a unique identity from Philadelphia (and the rest of the metro) as being more business friendly, cheaper and more relaxed, while still offering a lot of the cosmopolitanism, colonial feel and natural beauty--just in a more manageable package.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
I really liked Sausalito, CA. It's a really nice little city.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Not sure if it's my favorite but St Augustine is nice.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Miami Beach

Old 03-31-2017, 04:05 PM

707 posts, read 750,278 times
I'll always have fond memories of Haltom City.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:44 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
I would say Bellevue, Washington is a great satellite city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.