Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 AM

239 posts, read 232,183 times

Advertisements

How developed is the Northeast Corridor from Northern VA to the northern suburbs of Boston? Please follow the development, not the train route. I understand that the tracks follow the CT Coast, but the development goes up the spine of the state from New Haven to Hartford.

I think that Portsmouth to Boston is developed, Boston to Providence is developed, and Boston to Springfield through Worcester is developed. The spine of CT is fully developed, as are Fairfield and New Haven Counties. There is a continuous stretch of development from Westchester through NYC through Jersey to Philly. There is also nearly continuous development down the entire Jersey shore. It is only interrupted by the protected Pine Barrens for a few miles. Philly to Wilmington is obviously developed, as is Philly to Vineland. Not sure about Philly to Cape May/AC though. I know there is a lot of protected forest between Philly and AC, but it may just be too undeveloped. The stretch from Wilmington to Baltimore is mostly developed along the coast but quickly peters out inland. I'm not sure if this counts as being developed, and this may break the Northeast Corridor's development. However, I do see this area filling in rapidly over the next twenty years due to cost of living and available land, as well as proximity to D.C., Baltimore, and Philly. The stretch from Baltimore to D.C. is developed. The stretch from D.C. to Richmond is often said to be developed on this forum, but I don't think it is,

Ok, what are your thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
How developed is the Northeast Corridor from Northern VA to the northern suburbs of Boston? Please follow the development, not the train route. I understand that the tracks follow the CT Coast, but the development goes up the spine of the state from New Haven to Hartford.

I think that Portsmouth to Boston is developed, Boston to Providence is developed, and Boston to Springfield through Worcester is developed. The spine of CT is fully developed, as are Fairfield and New Haven Counties. There is a continuous stretch of development from Westchester through NYC through Jersey to Philly. There is also nearly continuous development down the entire Jersey shore. It is only interrupted by the protected Pine Barrens for a few miles. Philly to Wilmington is obviously developed, as is Philly to Vineland. Not sure about Philly to Cape May/AC though. I know there is a lot of protected forest between Philly and AC, but it may just be too undeveloped. The stretch from Wilmington to Baltimore is mostly developed along the coast but quickly peters out inland. I'm not sure if this counts as being developed, and this may break the Northeast Corridor's development. However, I do see this area filling in rapidly over the next twenty years due to cost of living and available land, as well as proximity to D.C., Baltimore, and Philly. The stretch from Baltimore to D.C. is developed. The stretch from D.C. to Richmond is often said to be developed on this forum, but I don't think it is,

Ok, what are your thoughts???
Depends on what you mean by developed. While there’s a notable public transportation gap between Newark, DE (SEPTA) and Perryville, MD (MARC), the area is developed from Wilmington down to Baltimore all along Route 40. Not high density development mind you, but it is developed. Plenty of suburban subdivisions, big box stores and small towns.

Also, not sure what you mean by the coast and inland. I’m assuming you mean the Chesapeake Bay and not the Delaware River. If so, Route 40 essentially hugs the Bay in Maryland as much as geographically possible (inland but close), but most of suburban Wilmington (New Castle County) is inland, neither on the Canal or the Bay. Bear, Glasgow, Newark, Middletown, Greenville, etc. are inland, but surrounded by creeks within the Delaware River’s watershed, with a small portion within the Chesapeake’s.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Depends on what you mean by developed. While there’s a notable public transportation gap between Newark, DE (SEPTA) and Perryville, MD (MARC), the area is developed from Wilmington down to Baltimore all along Route 40. Not high density development mind you, but it is developed. Plenty of suburban subdivisions, big box stores and small towns.

Also, not sure what you mean by the coast and inland. I’m assuming you mean the Chesapeake Bay and not the Delaware River. If so, Route 40 essentially hugs the Bay in Maryland as much as geographically possible (inland but close), but most of suburban Wilmington (New Castle County) is inland, neither on the Canal or the Bay. Bear, Glasgow, Newark, Middletown, Greenville, etc. are inland, but surrounded by creeks within the Delaware River’s watershed, with a small portion within the Chesapeake’s.
Sorry for the confusion! I am referring to just development period. There doesn't need tone public transport, just suburban or urban development. Yes, I am referring to the Chesapeake Bay and Route 40 hugging the coast. I mean the area from, say, Elkton to Middle River or so.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:57 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
From wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...le:Boswash.png

Old 01-14-2018, 12:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
I think the fact that NYC regional public transit provides a direct connection + shares a station with Philly’s SEPTA at Trenton speaks volumes about the continuous development there. Especially considering how transit-poor this country typically is. And MARC going between Baltimore city and DC too although they are very close physically so it only makes sense.

Are there any other examples of this where local public transit connects with major cities in other regions?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think the fact that NYC regional public transit provides a direct connection + shares a station with Philly’s SEPTA at Trenton speaks volumes about the continuous development there. Especially considering how transit-poor this country typically is. And MARC going between Baltimore city and DC too although they are very close physically so it only makes sense.

Are there any other examples of this where local public transit connects with major cities in other regions?
Yes, that totally shows how intertwined the Philly and NYC areas are. Mercer County really is divided, although it seems to be leaning towards New York recently. The Princeton area, which is Mercer County, is solidly New York territory, but Trenton is in between. Areas like West Windsor, Hamilton, and Ewing sway with Trenton. But the northern suburbs like Pennington, Hopewell and up to Flemington have been/remain New York territory.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:45 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Yes, that totally shows how intertwined the Philly and NYC areas are. Mercer County really is divided, although it seems to be leaning towards New York recently. The Princeton area, which is Mercer County, is solidly New York territory, but Trenton is in between. Areas like West Windsor, Hamilton, and Ewing sway with Trenton. But the northern suburbs like Pennington, Hopewell and up to Flemington have been/remain New York territory.
Yeah, it’s a weird transition area that isn’t 100% one or the other. Although the census gives it to NYC since more people commute there despite the fact that it’s actually a little bit closer to Philly. Though in reality it is kind of mixed. I think some areas from Trenton to LBI get both Philly and NYC news + radio stations. And there is a strong divide when it comes to sports in that area.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah, it’s a weird transition area that isn’t 100% one or the other. Although the census gives it to NYC since more people commute there despite the fact that it’s actually a little bit closer to Philly. Though in reality it is kind of mixed. I think some areas from Trenton to LBI get both Philly and NYC news + radio stations. And there is a strong divide when it comes to sports in that area.
Yes, definitely. NJ is a very polarized state. The South is hardcore Philly, and the North is hardcore New York. People in North and South Jersey regard each other as different stats's, not just different cities. I mean, people from north jersey talk about south jersey as if it's thousands of miles away and a completely different world. But it can really be as close as 20 minutes in some areas. Also those same people spend their summers down the shore in south jersey, but the shore is usually considered a separate region. Monmouth and Ocean counties are considered New York, especially the inland areas. But Atlantic county and cape may County are referred to as Atlantic Coty/Cape May/Wildwood. Most people recognize South Jersey as suburban Philly and North Jersey as suburban New York. The shore is treated as a different animal (as it should be lol).

People often bring up CT as being as divided as NJ. I'm not so sure, though. I mean everyone has heard New Haven and up is sox territory. The truth is very different from that but whatever. Even the western Hartford suburbs belong to the Yankees. But Northern Connecticut is not as intertwined with Boston as Southern Connecticut/Long Island/Hudson Valley/North Jersey is. Southern CT is clearly suburban New York but northern Connecticut does not feel like suburban Boston. I mean who commutes to Boston from the Hartford area. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:59 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Even though the NY-centric people have this term they call “tri-state,” which wouldn’t make sense if Connecticut weren’t part of it, Hartford/ Central Connecticut are its own metro area and identify as part of New England rather than an appendage of New York. Red Sox-Patriots-Celtics loyalties are related but not the same— i.e., someone in Farmington can be a Yanks fan without feeling at all connected to NYC. I would say something similar for NJ too: the Princeton area carries a lot of weight and is no more in Philly’s orbit than New York’s. But northern NJ isn’t really “hardcore New York” either. I think people feel pretty independent of New York there. Newark, Paterson, and all around there have their own identity—the “real New Jersey” unlike the newly developed areas out in Morris or Hunterdon Counties. Why wouldn’t they when you realize how routinely and universally the New Yorkers put down “Jersey” as some kind of bad scene. It’s close to NY, economically interdependent with it but you’d have a hard time finding people in North Jersey who feel they’re hardcore NY. By the way, why is “Jersey” common lingo but never “York”? Why are ppl from New York never “Yorkers”? I dunno...

Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Even though the NY-centric people have this term they call “tri-state,” which wouldn’t make sense if Connecticut weren’t part of it, Hartford/ Central Connecticut are its own metro area and identify as part of New England rather than an appendage of New York. Red Sox-Patriots-Celtics loyalties are related but not the same— i.e., someone in Farmington can be a Yanks fan without feeling at all connected to NYC. I would say something similar for NJ too: the Princeton area carries a lot of weight and is no more in Philly’s orbit than New York’s. But northern NJ isn’t really “hardcore New York” either. I think people feel pretty independent of New York there. Newark, Paterson, and all around there have their own identity—the “real New Jersey” unlike the newly developed areas out in Morris or Hunterdon Counties. Why wouldn’t they when you realize how routinely and universally the New Yorkers put down “Jersey” as some kind of bad scene. It’s close to NY, economically interdependent with it but you’d have a hard time finding people in North Jersey who feel they’re hardcore NY. By the way, why is “Jersey” common lingo but never “York”? Why are ppl from New York never “Yorkers”? I dunno...
I completely disagree. North Jersey is completely New York. People in North Jersey view themselves as New Yorkers, rightfully so. Their parents/grandparents/great-grandparents left the city to come to the suburbs. Also, people in Princeton feel like they are in the New York area. People in Trenton are really mixed but would probably use their proximity to New York when explaining to outsiders/strangers. Fairfield and New Haven Counties consider themselves solidly New York. People there refer to themselves as New Yorkers. Once you go further than that, it is obviously Hartford/Springfield. Who ever said it wasn't?!?!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.