Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:33 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times

Advertisements

We've done New York City vs Chicago threads before. Given the idea that both cities are pricing out Blacks, and everyone is moving back South doing a reverse migration what cities are the best for a Black person right now. Should a Black person consider moving to either city right now? If not, and they still want to move up North which city should they consider?

And are these cities as bad for Blacks as the media continues to insist that they are or is the media perpetrating this idea because someone does not want Black people up North anymore? For years we heard New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, DC, now all we hear is Atlanta, Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 06:51 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Pricing out Blacks? Maybe the issue isn't color, but instead motivation and an inner drive to succeed. Anyone can succeed with ample effort. Succeed and live where you want, don't look for a place where you can blend into mediocrity.

Considering where I grew up and the poorly rated schools I attended, I should be nobody, but that's not the case. I attribute a good chunk of my success to Tony Robbins. I remember listening to all his cassette tapes way back when. Most of his stuff can be found for free these days on the Interweb or at your local library.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-27-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
We've done New York City vs Chicago threads before. Given the idea that both cities are pricing out Blacks, and everyone is moving back South doing a reverse migration what cities are the best for a Black person right now. Should a Black person consider moving to either city right now? If not, and they still want to move up North which city should they consider?

And are these cities as bad for Blacks as the media continues to insist that they are or is the media perpetrating this idea because someone does not want Black people up North anymore? For years we heard New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, DC, now all we hear is Atlanta, Charlotte.
Chicago really isn't pricing anyone out; sure it's getting more expensive but is still quite affordable for a big city.

Black folks moving to the Sunbelt has been part of an overall population migration trend for the past several decades; there was just a specific history relative to Blacks that made this "reverse migration" more significant than for other groups. There's not some mysterious person who's trying to push Black folks out of Northern cities; if you notice, there are some cities like New York that actually have more out-migration than in-migration and if it weren't for immigration, they would register yearly population losses. And the cause of that certainly isn't Black folks alone.

Gotta look at the bigger picture here.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Pricing out Blacks? Maybe the issue isn't color, but instead motivation and an inner drive to succeed. Anyone can succeed with ample effort. Succeed and live where you want, don't look for a place where you can blend into mediocrity.

Considering where I grew up and the poorly rated schools I attended, I should be nobody, but that's not the case. I attribute a good chunk of my success to Tony Robbins. I remember listening to all his cassette tapes way back when. Most of his stuff can be found for free these days on the Interweb or at your local library.
This is quite literally the most asinine post I’ve seen on this forum.

Some cities have demonstrably higher levels of upward mobility than others. This is not an accident. The poor people in those cities aren’t more talented or driven. They have better resources.

I grew up poor in NYC, and frankly, there’s no better place to do so. Thanks to rent control/stabilization, gentrification isn’t as stark in NY as it is in some other cities. Any kid can apply to any high school, so being poor doesn’t doom you to poor schools. Mass transit is extensive and affordable, so poor people have physical access to all the city’s resources. Then there’s CUNY. Lots of cities have city colleges, but none has as many high-quality four-year colleges with low tuition, and relatively low admissions standards. If your HS failed you, CUNY will remediate you until you’re prepared for a high-quality college education.

Conservative talk about wanting people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but typically don’t believe in creating a framework in which such as social mobility is possible.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
What I find interesting is that it seems that as towns get more liberal black numbers tend decline. This has been the trend up north and out west. I think a study should be done on it to find out the cause of it.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

“Pricing out blacks” is and sounds ridiculous. If someone can’t afford an area, that’s simply what it is, regardless of color/race. No need to make it into something more than what it is

Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
What I find interesting is that it seems that as towns get more liberal black numbers tend decline. This has been the trend up north and out west. I think a study should be done on it to find out the cause of it.
It’s not rocket science. Our most liberal cities tend to be small, geographically speaking, and desirable. This drives up housing costs. Black peoples are disproportionately poor. I’m sure you were trying to make some sly point about liberals being “the real racists”, though.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:38 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chicago really isn't pricing anyone out; sure it's getting more expensive but is still quite affordable for a big city.

Black folks moving to the Sunbelt has been part of an overall population migration trend for the past several decades; there was just a specific history relative to Blacks that made this "reverse migration" more significant than for other groups. There's not some mysterious person who's trying to push Black folks out of Northern cities; if you notice, there are some cities like New York that actually have more out-migration than in-migration and if it weren't for immigration, they would register yearly population losses. And the cause of that certainly isn't Black folks alone.

Gotta look at the bigger picture here.
This pretty much sums it up. A lot of the "reverse migration" has more to do with being closer to family/friends/roots than it does with being "priced out". Let's not pretend that the South is dirt-cheap, because it's not (yes, the housing prices are generally lower, but so are the incomes). The Midwest has far bigger bang-for-your-buck than any other region, but not many black folks (with the possible exception of African and Caribbean immigrants) are moving there.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:08 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s not rocket science. Our most liberal cities tend to be small, geographically speaking, and desirable. This drives up housing costs. Black peoples are disproportionately poor. I’m sure you were trying to make some sly point about liberals being “the real racists”, though.
You clearly took my post out of context and added some hard line assumptions. So, sense you became so defensive maybe it’s some truths to the point you brought up about liberals being the real racist. FYI I’m the wrong poster to mess with.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:41 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
ANYWAY, to answer the OP's question, I would look at the Northern cities that are the most affordable. Since African-Americans have lower incomes on average, cities with lower costs of living won't force them out as much. I think the main cause of this reverse Great Migration is that (Southern cities tend to be cheaper) and the fact that there's already a large and established black community in the South, so black Northerners speculate that they might fit in better there.

You probably don't want to live in Detroit or Cleveland, but Grand Rapids, Milwaukee, South Bend, Buffalo, Columbus, and Minneapolis might be places to look into, depending on what you want in a city. All of those I think have decent-sized black communities and aren't terribly pricey or crime-ridden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.