Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,836 times

Advertisements

Do You Take Off Your Shoes At Home?

Which state /area are you from?

If you don't wear shoes at home, do you make your guest keep or take off shoes ? Do you feel ppl who drag dirt and whatever germy stuff they step on into homes are dirty and crazy.

If you wear shoes in your home, do you feel offended if someone makes you take your shoes off in their homes? Or do you do it anyway but feel that these bare footed nuts are out of their minds?

Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post

If you don't wear shoes at home, do you make your guest keep or take off shoes ? Do you feel ppl who drag dirt and whatever germy stuff they step on into homes are dirty and crazy.

If you wear shoes in your home, do you feel offended if someone makes you take your shoes off in their homes? Or do you do it anyway but feel that these bare footed nuts are out of their minds?
i take em off and put on flip flops.
got tile floors and it keeps em nicer.
i dont mind if people make me take em off.
stephen s

Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,426 times
I make people take off their shoes when they enter my apartment and I am from Columbus.

(OHIO)
Many think I am strange though.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Over h'yar in Dayton, we take our shoes off and our guests usually follow suit. We like clean carpets!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
I make kids take theirs off but not adults.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 AM

105 posts, read 496,237 times
Quote:
Yes. We wear either slippers or socks (depending on the time of year) in the house. I also have a separate pair of 'inside-only' Keds sneakers.

Quote:
Massachusetts. I'm from here, DH is British.

Quote:
If you don't wear shoes at home, do you make your guest keep or take off shoes ?
This is a sticky subject because we're the ONLY people we know who have a no-shoes rule. If just one person comes to visit we usually ask them to take their shoes off. They are usually surprised and discomfited about it. We normally don't have people over in a group except for once a year around the holidays, and for that day I compromise and don't enforce the no-shoes rule because DH feels that it violates hospitality. I hate it, though, and can't wait till I can give the floors a thorough cleaning after everyone leaves. Unfortunately not all of our floors are washable. Some are tile and two rooms are wood. In our next house I want to have ALL washable floors (tile or vinyl) in all public areas!

Another problem is if a workman (plumber or electrician) has to come in. These people just will NOT remove their work shoes, so it's more scrubbing etc. afterward. I will put down rugs and runners but since people here aren't used to no-shoes houses, many times they won't pay attention to it.

Quote:
Do you feel ppl who drag dirt and whatever germy stuff they step on into homes are dirty and crazy.
It absolutely does 'gross me out'! I wouldn't go so far as to say they are 'crazy', only that they either haven't really thought about it or have thought about it but for some reason it doesn't bother them.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
I do not wear shoes inside the house unless I just have not stopped long enough to take them off (easier to do in the summer though w/ sandals on). My kids take their shoes off as does my husband when they come in but it is not because we enforce them to, they just do. If they are outside in the back they may not even have on shoes to take off.

When people come over they see us barefoot and think they HAVE to take their shoes off. We just tell them whatever they are most comfortable as we just have ours off because "we are home". Sometimes they see the white carpet and think they have too but that is no big deal either. The wood in the entry, kitchen and other areas is VERY EASY to clean up if someone did bring something in. But with the white carpets the carpet cleaner told me that bare feet are dirtier than the bottoms of shoes as your feet have all of the normal body oils and such, yuck. Keep your shoes on then

The repair people I've seen all have the little paper booties to put on over their shoes. For them to stop and have to take off work boots then put them back on if they are having to go in and out a million times would be a royal pain.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 AM

520 posts, read 1,853,459 times
We don't make people take off their shoes in our house (Ohio) and i don't have any problem taking mine off in other people's house.

BlueSkyHoliday, you shouldn't let workmen in with their work shoes. The guys that come to my house always put little booties on over their boots before they come in.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM

136 posts, read 327,592 times
Here in MN, everyone takes their shoes off. People make a point of saying "keep your shoes on, if you'd like" if they don't mind you keeping them on. The default is shoes off as soon as you walk in the house.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
I don't wear shoes in my house.

I'm in NC now but spent the last 6 years in MI. Grew up in SC.

I do NOT make anyone take theirs off. I prefer workmen to wear *booties* or covers over theirs but I don't get hyper over it. After all it's just carpet/floors. Humans have feelings that can get hurt. Carpet doesn't have feelings. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.